main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why don't Owen and Beru recogize C-3PO

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi-phish, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi-phish

jedi-phish Jedi Youngling

Apr 15, 2005
    I know everyone's going to have theories abound on this one... but C-3PO lived with the Lars family for a few years while Shmi and Cliegg were married. I relize that at first he didn't have coverings and then later he only had old rusted (non-shiny) coverings, but don't you think it's a pretty big plot gap now in the OT for Owen not to know who C-3PO is when he shows up with the sandcrawlers? I know it has been 23 years since he's seen 3PO but 3PO is pretty hard to forget.

Are we supposed to just chalk it up to the fact that its been 23 years, he has shiny coverings now, and 3PO doesn't seem to recognize Owen, so therefore Owen figures its a different 3PO than the one that lived with him?

If you think about it, the last time he saw 3PO was when Anakin was at the farm (unless 3PO makes an appearance there in EPIII, which I doubt). Then, Owen seems to know about Anakin ("that's what I'm afraid of"). So, it seems like Owen's memory would be stirred, at least a little, when 3PO showed up with the jawas.

I guess the heat of living in the desert rots the memory?

2. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    I'll stick with the arguments that C3PO is a massproduced droid and therefore look almost exactly like other of his kind, as can be seen in E5 and E1. As for remembering 3PO:s name and annoying voice, I suppose one can't remember numbers forever and the voice, uhm.... it's a common psychological reaction to forget things that are too painful...?

Oh, and I suppose 3PO got his memory wiped at some point.

3. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Did you see what 3P0 looked like when he lived with the Lars?

Did you see the way 3P0 looked like when he came back?

Not even close to the same. Plus a 20 year gap.

No way would he recognize him. Remember, Lars had very little time with 3P0, basically just that one conversation.

CLone

4. Darth_Sammy52

Darth_Sammy52 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    Who's to say they don't? We don't hear every single conversation they had, so they might have deliberated on how much 3PO looks like a droid they had years ago and suspect that the two are one and the same.

And if they don't, there's a very simple explanation that I've heard off and on:

"Would you recognize the toaster you had 20 years ago with a different covering?"

5. Cloned_Sidious

Cloned_Sidious Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 14, 2004
    How many threads about this we have? :p

There must be hundreds...

6. Fenrisulven

Fenrisulven Jedi Master star 1

Nov 18, 2004
    Hmm, that's true, never thought about that. And about the toaster, the odds are most likely higher that you'd recognize it if it was a whining pessimist.

7. jedi-phish

Apr 15, 2005
    I wouldn't compare a protocol droid to a toaster. Consider how much a part of the family 3PO is in EPV (he's always there). I would think that in the time between EPI and EPII, when 3PO lived with the Lars family, he was very much a "part of the family." I'm certain that Shmi expressed great joy at him all the time considering her long lost son created him. Which would make me think that Lars would have respect for him as well.

All I'm saying is that Lucas created a bit of a conundrum by introducing 3PO the way he did in the PT. I know that Lucas has said that the entire saga is seen from the vantage point of the droids, so I accept that. I just think that people that watch the trilogy I-VI will wonder why Owen doesn't recognize 3PO. He's certainly more memorable than a toaster. And by the way, I'm 33 and I remember the toaster my family had when I was 13 and would recognize it today (it was like a toaster oven, but without the door - they don't make them that way anymore - probably a safety hazard).

While I'm on the issue - why did Anakin have to come from Tatooine? Was it really necessary? That being the case, seems like ol' Darth would have wanted to stop by his hometown and have a cold one at the cantina after he captured Leia on the Tantive IV. IMO, it wasn't necessary to the saga that Anakin be from Tatooine. Further digressing, EPI wasn't really necessary either.

8. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    So, it seems like Owen's memory would be stirred, at least a little, when 3PO showed up with the jawas.

Of course it was...

"You... I suppose you're programmed for etiqette and protocol?"

9. jedi-phish

Apr 15, 2005
    "You... I suppose you're programmed for etiqette and protocol?"

good point - but could just as easily be a general statement of what protocol droids do (explaining it to the audience for the first time, or the fourth, depending on order of episodes).

10. Darthnidan

Darthnidan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2005
    I think this is because there are many "C3" units in the beginning of ANH we see another "C3" unit walking right behind C3PO and R2

11. jedi-phish

Apr 15, 2005
    Alright - let me pose this query? Do you all agree that maybe Owen did catch on to the fact that the droids were the same ones from 20 years before when Luke revealed the droids' supposed mission (searching for Obi-Wan)? At that point, Owen demanded the droids get a memory wipe.

So, maybe he didn't remember at first, but did later at dinner?

12. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Thats a possible theory.

Though also, if the droids did belong to someone else, then he purchased a hot item and possibly could get in trouble for that. However if they get their memories wiped, then there goes the proof that those are stolen droids.

13. Darth_Smithius

Darth_Smithius Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2005
    I'm with jedi-phish on this one. It had been 20 years, so the initial meeting with 3P0 really didn't jog anything in Owen. 3P0 was a mass produced droid and their voices are all similar (not the same but similar). Once Luke said something about them belonging to Obi-Wan, Owen tells Luke to have the memories erased. I think at that point he remembers them.

14. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    Every month with this question.

15. Absydian

Absydian Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2004
    The toaster comparison is the most rediculous cop out excuse i've seen on this issue.

If you watch the OT c3po is so obviously more than a "toaster" like character.

"Hurry yo golden rod or your gonna be a permanent resident!"

If my house was crumbling to the ground whilst an army of evil doers invaded it I would hardly think twice to grab my toaster while escaping.

There are several other instances where C3PO is treated much more like an actual being than a toaster.

Now as to why Owen doesn't remember him. The best reason one could give is the fact that there are alot of protocal droids out there and last time he saw C3po some 25 years ago he was incased in a rustic crome plating where as now he is a gold color.

Once luke mentions the whole deal about obi wan he probably still doesn't recognize C3po as the same droid from 25 years ago.

Anakin had to be born on Tatooine for the simple fact of introducing Owen and Beru into the story. It wouldn't make much since for Obi Wan to just drop off Luke to some random people I dont think.

16. flipmanburn

flipmanburn Jedi Youngling

Apr 6, 2005
    I've been wondering about this for years, in fact I had recent thread up about it. The fact is C3P0 says his name to Owen, and he should of remember the voice. Every droid might look the same, but I've never heard one having the same voice. It's been along time since Owen and C3P0 seen each other, but not to long.

17. Absydian

Sep 21, 2004
    3po never says his name to Owen in ANH.

It goes something like this...

owen- You, I expect your programmed for etiquette and protocol.

3po- why yes sir, protocol is one of my primary functions

owen- I have no need for a protocol droid

3po- of course not sir, not in an enviroment such as this.

owen- what I really need is someone who can understand the language of ....

3po- My first job was programming binary load lifters very similar to...

owen- do you speak bocce?

3p0- of course sir its like a second language...

owen- alright, shut up. Ill take this one.

3p0- shut up sir.

18. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Forget whether they remember Threepio or not. Think in terms of realism.

What are the chances that a droid that you owned 26 years before taken by your stepbrother into the unknown galaxy managed to survive the Clone Wars, Empire, and other galactic mayhem that occurred in the wake of his leave and somehow managed to make his way back to your form in one piece, completely redesigned? I think it's more a "Hey, he's familiar, but there's NO WAY it's him" thing.

19. Sithgreg

Sithgreg Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    **Alright - let me pose this query? Do you all agree that maybe Owen did catch on to the fact that the droids were the same ones from 20 years before when Luke revealed the droids' supposed mission (searching for Obi-Wan)? At that point, Owen demanded the droids get a memory wipe.

So, maybe he didn't remember at first, but did later at dinner? **

Darn you! You beat me to it! While I was reading the other posts, that's what hit me also. Owen does remember as soon as Luke mentions R2 is looking for Obi Wan.You can see how defensive he gets and the look Beru and him give each other. There's the answer to the question. We can finally stop the threads! Woo Hoo!

20. Absydian

Sep 21, 2004
    He remembers Obi Wan at that point, not necessarily the droids.

I seriously doubt he ever gives thought to C3PO and R2D2 being the same droids from 26 years ago. Even when Obi Wan's name is mentioned.

21. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I'll stick with the arguments that C3PO is a massproduced droid and therefore look almost exactly like other of his kind, as can be seen in E5 and E1. As for remembering 3PO:s name and annoying voice, I suppose one can't remember numbers forever and the voice, uhm.... it's a common psychological reaction to forget things that are too painful...?

Oh, and I suppose 3PO got his memory wiped at some point.

I would most definitely agree with this. I should think that in ROTS there should be a scene where Threepio gets a memory wipe since the droid has a big mouth. I know Lucas will explain it all.

22. Sithgreg

Sithgreg Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2004
    **He remembers Obi Wan at that point, not necessarily the droids.

I seriously doubt he ever gives thought to C3PO and R2D2 being the same droids from 26 years ago. Even when Obi Wan's name is mentioned. **

To an extent I agree, I think originally when ANH came out that was the case, but I'd like to think, with how the PT came out,that he recognizes the Droids upon hearing Obi Wan's name. Granted this is just my belief and maybe Lucas didn't think of it this way, but the whole "toaster" excuse doesn't work for me either mostly because toasters don't have personalities,and 3PO definitely has a personality you can't forget. It makes things work better in my opinion............but that's just me!!
    And 3PO will definitely get his memory erased.

23. original_trilogy

original_trilogy Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    Threepio and Artoo's memories were never erased..at least that's what I've read somewhere. I'm pretty sure they've never had a memory wipe. And even if Owen recognized him, would good would it have done? Would he have not bought him if he realized who Threepio was?

24. Dirty-Darth

Dirty-Darth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Beru never sees 3P0 in ANH. As for Owen...

1 - First and foremost, Owen doesn't hear the name "C3P0" once in ANH. Rewatch the scene if you must, but believe me, it doesn't happen.

2 - 3P0 looks completely different.

3 - Proticol Droids are very common in the GFFA. They are most likely mass produced and we seem to come across quite a few of the same model as 3P0 which all look exactly the same as him (except color).

4 - Owen would not remember his voice after an entire twenty years. He// it's hard to remember voices after only 1 year (and don't deny it, someones voice always sounds slighly different that you remembered).

25. lrdmonarch

lrdmonarch Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    Once Luke mentions that they belong to Obi-Wan Kenobi, he and Beru remember them completely. Why do you think he orders Luke to get their memories erased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.