main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why don't people in hyperspace lose/gain age?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Veng_Commando, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    "In the movie, however, Han says that "without precise calculations you could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova...". Now, this clearly states that flying into a sun is entirely possible"

Your looking at it out of context. The ship is being shot at by a star destoryer and there are two more cutting them off, they are in trouble and he has this young idiot kid going "out run I thought you said this thing was fast". LUke doesn't seem to know as much about space flight as he thinks he does (at least hyperspace jumping). The car into a wall thing is a perfect example, we've heard people say it to use before and never really expect to go through a wall, just like Luke wouldn't really expect to fly through a star Hans just making the point that you can't just jump into hyperspace at the snap of a finger.

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    of course you can go around things like planets, but you'd have to program that in ahead of time, cause i think you need special equipment to change course in the middle of a jump

¤Night

3. wilde_karrde2002

wilde_karrde2002 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2002
    I agree with jaeger's last post. Han is under the pressure of a Star Destroyer and now he has to deal with this know it all farmboy and his ancient friend. His comments to Luke always seemed sarcastic to me. Either way, it may not be the best source to base SW physics on.

As far as why people don't gain or lose age, time is still passing at its normal rate. In hyperspace people are travelling faster. If you drive your car at 25 mph for 1 hour, you've gone 25 miles and aged 1 hour. If you drive your car at 100mph for 1 hour, you've gone 100 miles, but still aged only 1 hour. I don't look at hyperspace as a dimension, but rather as a speed of travel.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It isn't a form of speed.

The aging bit only applies to relativistic speeds, which hyperspace, as has been noted, is not. It involves using a hyperdrive to emit a fields around the craft, allowing it to 'skip' lightspeed, and transition into another phase of supralight travel.

This is also evidenced by the massive blue-shift in hyperspace.

5. Veng_Commando

Veng_Commando Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    So it is not possible to travel at lightspeed and gain/lose age or travel through time?

6. Possessed-Freak

Possessed-Freak Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2002
    Well, you could always go round and round the Earth... errrr planet and reverse the spin of it therby reversing time and you could rescue Lois Lane, err I mean whoever....

Alternately, you could steal a Klingon Bird of Prey errr Star Destroyer, go past warp 10, I mean ludicrous speed, I mean, freaking fast, and go back to the 1980's and save some whales errr go back and save whatever!

You could also get your delorian errr landspeeder up to 88 miles/hr and use the flux capacitor you got from radio shack errr Imperial Shack and go back to 1955 errr whenever and await a lightning storm which is required for the 1.21 gigawatts or await for the invention of Mr. Fusion to go to the future again.

Holding to our galaxies physics... Even if time travel were possible, if you suddenly appeared back in time with any mass, then all of the sudden there would a shift with the conservation of mass and energy in the universe. Something bad would happen, which could possibly be

1) total failure of the universe

2) automagic conversion of the new mass into energy which would be a HUGE atomic bomb

plus, when you left, there would be another shift in the mass/energy in the universe...

additionally, there is the added wheight of you/ship/etc in the gravity field your on (planet galaxy, whatever) and while it is proportianlly miniscule, it could have some dire effects with the amount of time traversed.

the only way I see around this, is to take the exact material you have on your trip from your destination time (volumetric, chemically, identical) and transport it to the time you left.

7. BigBob

BigBob Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2002
    i dont get it. in a comic book it said that some jedi made a microjump through a planet i thought they stoped ships from jumping ?[face_plain]

8. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    If you go too close to a planet in hyperspace, it's gravity'll pull you out.

9. _Mitthrawnuruodo_

_Mitthrawnuruodo_ Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2001
    To answer the gravity questions - ie "Why does gravity effect something in hyperspace?"

Have any of you considered that hyperspace is actually the near absolute absence of gravity? That's why they're able to travel so 'fast' and that's why when you near a large concentration of gravity it pulls you back out of hyperspace? Perhaps a hyperdrive motivator is only a big anti-gravity generator.

10. Bravo

Bravo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 10, 2001
    My theory on hyperspca travel is that you do not gain/lose wait at all. Since hyperspace is going faster then light (I think), time has no hiold on you. You are going to fast to allow time itself to settle down on you. Plus, you are flying though millions, if not billions of solar systems. That means that you are going though different time zones/areas, and I bet you if you had a clock on a ship in hyperspace, it would either stay still, or go really fast.

-Bravo

11. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    "My theory on hyperspca travel is that you do not gain/lose wait at all."
    first off, it's spelled weight. W-e-i-g-h-t. Second, they were talking about age. But you are right, you don't gain or lose weight unless you either work out or piging out in hyperspace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.