Why don't they ever make the real important playsets?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by StormChewieJedi, Nov 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. StormChewieJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    Alright, what I wanna know is why Kenner/Hasbro doesn't make any of the really big important vehicles, like the Republic Gunship or Star Destroyer or the Tantive IV. I mean, yeah, they made the Millenium Falcon, Outrider, and AT-AT, but there's a lot I would give to own a 1/2 to full scale Star Destroyer. Sure, it would cost like a million bucks, but I swear Santa, I'll be a good boy...
  2. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    "Republic Gunship or Star Destroyer or the Tantive IV"

I wouldn;t let sithman catch you saying that about the Gunship :p. And the other two have been made as well ;)
  3. StormChewieJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    When were a Star Destroyer and Tantive IV made?
  4. Sithman Jedi Grand Master

star 7
  5. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    They never even made the Sith Infiltrator... :(
  6. LittleGreenMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    TheStar Destroyer & Tantive 4 were made 4 or 5 years ago, but they weren't to Scale with figures. They were to scale with Action Fleet. :) Actually I think they were Action Fleet. :) I think they were about 1 to 2 feet long and had Electronics. ;)
  7. StormChewieJedi Jedi Master

star 2
    oh, yeah, I know what you're talking about...yes they were Action Fleet, but that was Micro Machines, they were made by Galoob. I'm talking about Hasbro's 3 3/4" scale figures, and yes, the Sith Infiltrator would have been cool too, Princess_Tina...
  8. Darth_Ignant Jedi Youngling

star 7
    Someone did make a custom Tantiv, to scale with the 3 3/4" figs, and it was...I don;t remember, tens of feet long. So forget those two getting made to scale. The ones released (which were not in scale to action fleet) are as close as we're likely to see.
  9. JediJunkie247 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I remember the Star Destroyer playset being made with the vintage line. We had it and it had Vader's chamber that you could put him in and lower it, it would even light up.

Now as for the newer lines, I don't remember seeing them.
  10. khairul_azwan Jedi Knight

star 1
    it may not be scaled to 3-3/4's but the collector's fleet by kenner (not action fleet by galoob) rocked - they're quite big (tantive iv is about 2 feet long, plus they had electronics!), there's 3 of em, leia's correlian, a star destroyer and an SSD, check pitchers at sicqnus.com, damn the french!
  11. MichaelFright Jedi Padawan

I agree with you STORM. Hasbro never makes any vehicle or playset to scale with the 3-3/4 inch action figures. On top of that, they're never realistic enough for me.
    Personally, I got tired of standing my collection on plain ole shelves so I started building 3-3/4 inch scaled vehicles.

I've made the Sandcrawler, The AT-AT Walker, Jabba's Sailbarge and the Rebel Blockade Runner also known as the Tantive IV. The Tantive IV ended up being 35ft long.

At the moment, I am working on 2 AT-TE's from AOTC.

check out my webpage for pictures if you'd like:

http://michaelfright.homestead.com/michaelfright.html

I also created a rig that looks like Darth Maul. It's called..., the Darth Hauler.
  12. Goo_Child Jedi Master

star 4
    that's you!

I remember seeing Darth Hauler in INSIDER.
  13. MichaelFright Jedi Padawan

Hey Goo_Child,

Yeah, I'm the one. I'm currently trying to enlist as many FanForce Members and 501st Members as I can to participate in a New Year's Day parade in Philadelphia. The Darth Hauler and the 35ft Tanive IV model are already registered to be in the parade which is localy televised. We also get one minute to perform in front of the judges for a cance to win prizes, so an act needs to be rehearsed before then.

If anyone is interested in participating in the parade, e-mail me. I need to get a list to the parade comissioners of people who are going to be involved.

14. BushiFox Jedi Knight

star 1
    Michael: One word: Wow.
  15. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Michael, I admire your work! I don't know how you can afford to build them, but I love 'em! ;)
  16. Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost

star 4
    Actually the Star Destroyer and the
    Tantive VI weren`t Action Fleet and they weren`t Action Fleet scale as well.

They were made by Kenner. They `re called Collector Fleet. The Super Star Destroyer was the last of the three and
    is pretty rare and has a high market value because of that.
    There was also a Mon Calamari Cruiser
    and a Death Star planned, but cancled
    since the line didn`t sell that well.

They`re scaled with Micro Machines, not Action Fleet ships.
    The Tantive ( which I don`t have ) is in scale with the Micro Machine`s Escape
    Pod. The Micro Tantive is in scale with the Star Destroyer and the Micro SD with the Executor.
    I think those ships are way cool.
  17. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    That would have been cool
  18. Princess_Tina Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well, at least we're getting a LEGO Star Destroyer... :)
  19. Tellesto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    They need to make Dooku's hangar, complete with Solar Sailor and light-up effects!
  20. dinoX Jedi Knight

star 3
    i think they are focusing WAY too much on making playsets for lego owners and not enough for the 3 3/4" action figure owners these days. I also don't want some stupid micro machines playset. There were no giant Anakin or Vader in Star Wars.

The OLD star wars figures had some nice playsets though. Rebel Base on Hoth (and 2 or 3 other good ones for Hoth), a few jabba's palace things and it was all great.

But ever since Kenner was bought by Hasbro, they just got lazy. Granted the figures look cooler than ever, but now all they do is repackage and retool and just release alot of the stuff that some of us people who have been collecting for a few years already have and need - and aren't catering to ALL their buyers, just the niche that is just now collecting around Ep. 2's release time frame. That sucks.
  21. Bandit-Jedi Jedi Master

star 2
    I use to love playing with the vintage Star Destroyer playset. It had Vaders Meditation chamber, as mentioned above, and you could strap it to your arm and fly it around. lol. It had a big gun turrent on the front of it. It had the raised platform that vader always walked on and the lower platform where all the personnel would be to fly the SD. There was also pegs on the ceiling where you could hang a figure from them, don't know why? Dont remember that in any of the movies. lol I miss that playset so much, think I ll go to ebay and see if I can find a loose one and get it for xmas. lol
    May The Force Be With You!
  22. Orange_Sith Jedi Knight

star 3
    my favorite playset was the carbon freezing chamber thingy
  23. The_Goblin Jedi Knight

star 2
    I want a Goblin fortress.
    I even asked Hasbro,but they said if it wasn`t in the movie`s it couldn`t make it.
    Hey I could still take over an EU writer`s body!
    [face_devil]
  24. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It seems from various lists circulating on rebelscum, that we may be getting more playset-type of things in the coming year. The Geonosian War Room is one that I am definitely looking forward to! :D
  25. JediJunkie247 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    The Geonosian War Room is not going to be a playset. It is more like a cinema scene with 3 figures.

The only playsets for the saga line listed at rebelscum.com are the Arena and the Emperor's Throne Room.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.