main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT why don't they use the force on grievous?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Why doesn't any of Grievous' opponents use the Force on him while fighting him (with the exception of the Utapau battle in ROTS)? Grievous can't use the Force!

tommy-lin likes this.
  2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    It takes effort to use the Force. They can't use it whenever they want to.

3. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    For two reasons
    1.) in the position Kenobi was in, if he would of just forced crushed Grievous the droids around him would of gunned him down. Also Jedi of this era are known but being weaker than other eras.
    2.) it makes a better fight scene

thesevegetables likes this.
  4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yeah they can. I think it has to do with most Jedi being hesitant on using the force to attack an opponent.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    What I was trying to say was that Jedi can't just maintain a consistent application of Force power indefinitely. They need "recharging".

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Gotcha..

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Says which movie?

"That's not true!"
    /LM

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Since this is the prequels boards, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

IIRC Grievous only encounters Jedi twice in the PT. The first time he escapes before the Jedi really have a chance to focus on him, the second time Kenobi pwns Grievous with the Force.

Also, since they're movies, the Jedi can't simply use the Force as an "I win" button, because that would be boring.

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    IF ONLY....

.....IF ONLY!

rumsmuggler likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Obi-Wan uses The Force on Grievous to make him drop his lightsabers at one point in RoTS.

Darth_Kiryan and thesevegetables like this.
  11. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Kit Fisto answers this well.

"Those who have power should restrain themselves from using it."

The Jedi believe in using "necessary Force" and nothing more. To use all your power in every situation is considered overkill by Jedi, and to overuse the Force can lead to the dark side.

As for Grievous, I would imagine it difficult to concentrate enough to Force Push a cyborg when he's waving 4 lightsabers inches from your face. It's a testament to Obi-Wan's skill and power that he could.

12. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    because they were kind of intimidated by a self-proclaimed jedi killer

thesevegetables likes this.
  13. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    The first time, Grievous ran away. The second time, Kenobi pwned him by using the Force. Though yes, in their unarmed duel Kenobi should have used the force again but I guess he didn't have time.

Keep in mind Grievous sucked as a combatant. His value was as a general. He was not really a Jedi 'killer'. It was his overwhelming number of droids and magnaguard who killed Jedi and gave Grievous their Lightsabers, like they tried to kill Kenobi but he caused a large piece of scenery to fall on them and crush them.

14. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    I always assumed his body has some degree of imunity to the force. My retcon is that it was strenghtened against those kind of attacks by some sort of sith magic.

15. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    I thought that maybe he has his claws stuck into the ground, and his feet are also magnetic. but idk

16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Jedi use the Force on living beings pretty sparingly, if at all-I mean, would have been pretty easy to just Force-shove Maul off those catwalks, right? Obi-Wan and Yoda don't even employ so much as a Force push when they engage that pile of clones on the Jedi temple roof. And Grievous is still "alive"...technically, anyways.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Actually, they do.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Do they? Still, they don't use it much.

19. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    In answer to the original question;

Because gathering the Force to push around several hundred kilograms of cyborg takes a little time. And that time is hard to find when said cyborg is swinging four stolen lightsabers around fast enough to break the sound barrier.

20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Size matters not... except when it does.

21. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    as someone said it makes for a better fight scene

ever heard of movie logic?

movies would be strictly 10 minutes long if they followed logical routes

22. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    I think, to be honest, that little comment by Yoda was meant to insinuate that, given enough time, you can use the Force to move anything. Of course, it's going to take a little longer to shift a starfighter than a rock; a little longer than that to move a Star Destroyer from the heavens. Given enough patience, a Jedi could probably move an entire world.

23. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, they can't really do that to a Force wielder. I mean I guess they could if they caught the other off guard but look at the Mustafar duel in ROTS. Obi and Anakin and dueling and then they suddenly push at each other's hands with the Force and it blasts them both backwards. So I'm betting you can block someone's usage of the Force.

What would be interesting is if you are in space, could you literally pull yourself to an object, or would the object be pulled to you? Could you use the Force as a means of transport?

24. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Wrong. Recall what happened when Obi Wan and Anakin tried to Force Push each other during their duel in ROTS. Maul however, was able to Force Push Obi Wan pretty easily, due to his superior knowledge the Force.

Also, how the heck is Grievous 'not dead'? I'm pretty sure he died in ROTS...

25. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    It wasn't Maul's "superior knowledge" that allowed him to do that, if he has superior knowledge at all, which I'm doubtful of.

As explained in many books, notably in the Darth Bane trilogy, a Jedi or Sith, when commencing combat, will throw up a Force-shield of sorts, which prevents other Force-users from picking them up and throwing them around. However, if said shield is lowered, say, because you're not thinking clearly, or you're particularly angry or upset, then the Force-user you're battling can grab you like a pebble. I think it's fair to say that, having just witnessed his Master's death, Obi-Wan briefly loses control, allowing Maul to use the Force on him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.