Why don't you guys listen to good music?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Armenian_Jedi, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Nirvana sucks. Black Sabbath is no good at all. Metallica is crap as well. AC/DC is not good either.

Rap, Hip Hop and R&B is the only music worth listening too.

Anybody can learn to play a guitar. Anyone can shriek at the top of their lungs into a microphone. (The rap equivalant of this would be Lil Jon, who should not rap) You can't learn to rap, it's a skill very few possess. Sure, anyone can write a little poem. But let's see you go and write 12-18 great poems, put a great beat behind it, and rap it.
  2. Trell Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is so much wrong with the above post, and it is so late at night, I cannot even begin to go into it other than to say: Pfft... heeheeehee.

-P!-
  3. AdmiralZaarin Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Nirvana sucks. Black Sabbath is no good at all. Metallica is crap as well. AC/DC is not good either.

I largely agree, though AC/DC had a few good, rocking songs.

No. That's a narrowminded way to look at music. Seriously, people shouldn't cling on to one genre, be it rock, rap, or whatever style it is. I mean, it's for your benefit that you don't. You'll hear much more good music if you learn to diversify.

Take myself. I listen to electronica, classical, Latin, classic rock, folk, psychedelica, reggae, and even some of the older R&B (the motley assortment of bands George Clinton found himself with, if you can count that R&B).

You can't learn to rap, it's a skill very few possess.

How can you say that? Not even beginning to note the seeming hundreds of rap artists that come out of America, it seems that every "hip" young man fancying himself the next Australian Idol attempts to rap his way into it.

4. FORCEOF1 Jedi Knight

star 1
    "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain," says Armenian_Jedi as he pulls Nevermind out of his cd player.

You slay me:)
  5. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    ^^^I agree, with you. Actually I can listen to anyhting without having a problem. However my last favorite are...
    1. Country
    2. Rap

I can listen to rap for a little bit, but country I go insane trying to listen to. This one guy at my old job used to listen to it all day and I wanted to jab myself in the ears with something really sharp.
  6. darthtenbiscuits Force Ghost

star 7
  7. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I listen to great music. The composers all seem to be 18th-century germans and such...

<--Violinist nerd alert
  8. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    How can you say that? Not even beginning to note the seeming hundreds of rap artists that come out of America, it seems that every "hip" young man fancying himself the next Australian Idol attempts to rap his way into it.

Let me clarify. It takes skill to be a good rapper.
  9. SlackJawedJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Quite frankly, from a musical standpoint, rap blows. Ditto for hip-hop. Less so for REAL R&B, but emphasised for that limp facsimile you get nowadays.

And sure anyone can play guitar (well, anyone but me :p ). It's all a matter of, you know... playing it well.

In any case, Jazz is where it's at. :D
  10. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7

[face_laugh]

11. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6

On a personal level, I?ll disagree. However, I dislike them because they?re not to my taste. Black Sabbath and Metallica and AC/DC are damn good bands that just aren?t to my taste.

Wrong. They?re the only music that you like.

Anybody can learn to play a guitar.

This is absolutely true. Just like absolutely anyone can work a turntable or mix music. All it takes is a little bit of training and you?re good to go. But to be really, truly good at it takes quite a bit more practice and skills than you seem willing to grant. Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, Jimmy Page, Johnny Ramone, Brian May, Eric Clapton, these guys are or were amazing with a guitar in their hands. You can?t just learn to play a guitar and sound like them.

Anyone can shriek at the top of their lungs into a microphone. (The rap equivalant of this would be Lil Jon, who should not rap) You can't learn to rap, it's a skill very few possess.

The equivalent is to say that anyone can talk quickly into a microphone. The kind of shrieking you hate is no easier. But as for myself, I prefer more traditional ability to sing, and to be able to sing really well is in my opinion the most difficult thing to do musically. Most anyone can sing decently with some practice and training even if they don?t have natural ability. To be a great singer though is something extraordinarily rare.

Sure, anyone can write a little poem. But let's see you go and write 12-18 great poems, put a great beat behind it, and rap it.

Take a look at the Beatles, Queen, U2, and so many others that have written dozens of great poems, put a great beat behind it, and actually sung to it.

Quite frankly, from a musical standpoint, rap blows. Ditto for hip-hop. Less so for REAL R&B, but emphasised for that limp facsimile you get nowadays.

Agreed. Real R&B is damn cool. What goes by the name today is not.
  12. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Raven, for the complete and utter win.

13. Amon_Amarth Force Ghost

star 6
    Everybody has different tastes in music, so you can hardly judge what is good and what is bad. If you don't like Metallica, AC/DC or Nirvana, your problem A_J. There are a lot of people who love all those bands and their music.

If you wanted disscusion on Hip-Hop, R&B or whatever you like, you should rename this thread.
  14. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I strongly considered renaming the thread. But then I considered: hey, what's wrong with a little heated debate?
  15. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
  16. Bant428 Jedi Master

star 4
    Why don't you guys listen to good music?

What is "good" music, anyhow? It's so subjective, and everyone adores the music that they enjoy, and enjoyment varies from person to person.

About rap being music -- most people I know who are in music and are talented consider rap to be urban, chanted poetry, not "music", per se. Nothing wrong with it, and it definitely has significance, it's just not music.
  17. LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Master

star 4
    it is my personal opinion, that the vas majority of rap sucks...

the Star Wars Gangsta rap fan film features better rapping than most professional rappers..

but thats just my opinion
  18. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
    Unfortunatly my veiw of you has lowered a few notches....it makes you even with my toe nail clippings.

dkt
  19. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Armenian Jedi is always starting this stupid discussion like he gonna convert everyone on the JC to like rap. good luck there buddy.

Ravens' reply was the best counter post though.

Personally I love Death Metal and Black Metal but, I'm not so narrowminded to say everything else sucks. I probably have a more varied taste in music than anyone here. Sure I love metal but, I also like classic rock,southern rock, eminem and snood dogg,blue grass and so on. I just hate gospel and most country. not all country just most of it.
  20. ShiriKeiCelisoe Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Really, there is no 'bad' type of music. People like what they like. I happen to like Rock, Alternative, Anime music, JPop, and what I love the most: JRock. But I don't really like Rap, R&B, and Hip Hop. But I'll listen to it.

So, my point is... There is no 'bad' type of music. You listen to what you like and I'll listen to what I like. Now, buzz off...
  21. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    About rap being music -- most people I know who are in music and are talented consider rap to be urban, chanted poetry, not "music", per se. Nothing wrong with it, and it definitely has significance, it's just not music.

I agree 100%...Yo bro, I'ma mofo, who stubbed my @#$&in toe, on a cup "o" joe, when watchin Larry, Curly and Moe, treat eachother like foes.
    So like I said before, my mother was a @#$&%, my father likes to snore, my gramma is a bore, I ran out the door, and I ran to the store, and I tripped on the floor, cause I saw Mandy Moore.
    So I took a ***, on some nasty @#$&, and I had a fit. Peace.....to your mother, & brother, & father, & daughter.

PS. If you steal this rhyme, you will do some time, cause you know it's mine. Peace again.....to your mother, & brother, & father, & daughter.
  22. LORDeron_MAULer Jedi Master

star 4
    Unfortunatly my veiw of you has lowered a few notches....it makes you even with my toe nail clippings.

um me?
  23. Darth-Kevin-Thomas Force Ghost

star 5
  24. Axle-Starweilder Force Ghost

star 6
    first off: led zepplin is the greatest band of all time.

that said, i know i listen to good music. there really is a lot of good rap out there that doesnt get enough respect. the crapppy thing is that there's so much junk that goes along with it, like lil' john and fiddy cent, they kinda ruin the whole scene for everybody. but the same could be said about those new rock bands, if you can even call them that.

in my opinion, the tree of music needs a whole lotta prunin'.
  25. Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Master

star 4
    "Why don't you guys listen to good music?"

I do listen to good music. It's just not the same good music that you listen to. To assume that being a great guitar player doesn't require skill is just silly. Although I enjoy some rap, I do often get the idea that it's music for artists that were too lazy to bother to learn to play an instrument...or sing well. Anyone can learn how to rap. It doesn't mean that the delivery is going to be executed well. It works the same for musicians.

Brian May (Queen) can probably rap as well as Snoop Dog can play a guitar (or any instrument for that matter). Something tells me that it would be easier for Brian May to spit some poetry w/ attitude than it would be for Snoop Dog to be an average musician. Hell, Debbie Harry (Blondie) can spit some ryhmes better than Snoop Dog can half-ass his way thru an instrument.

I'm not saying that being a great rapper doesn't require skill, it's just that being a great anything requires skill.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.