Why don't you guys listen to good music?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Armenian_Jedi, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    I would just like to note that Brian May isn't just a guitar god. He's also a singer/songwriter of no small talents ? like everyone else in Queen, he?s a damn good vocalist. He?s also responsible for writing Fat Bottomed Girls, Save Me, Now I?m Here, Flash, We Will Rock You, and Tie Your Mother Down. If I?m not mistaken, all of those charted, and some went to #1.
  2. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    It is all about Bob Dylan.

-Seldon
  3. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    No, it's all about a lot of artists.
  4. spooky-kid Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's all about fat bottomed girls that make the world go round.

get on your bikes and ride!!! :p
  5. JODA_YASKIEWICZ Jedi Master

star 4
  6. JODA_YASKIEWICZ Jedi Master

star 4
    could you give some examples of who you mean?
    i mean you can't just say it's the only music worth listening to without giving specific examples.
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I listen to great music. Occasionally, I make a mistake and listen to crap (that time I tried to listen to Outkast's Stankonia leaps to mind).

It's about getting past your narrow minded labels and realizing it's all music. The Beastie Boys, Bob Dylan, The Stones, The Beatles, Michael W. Smith, Hans Zimmer, Beethoven, Handel, Dr. Dre, Johnny Cash, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Hendrix, James Taylor, Danny Elfman, etc.

There are no genres. They're in your mind. Get that through your head and your world will open up like you couldn't believe.

Note: the same applies to literature and film.
  8. Devilanse Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Rap music.

One of the truest oxymorons.
  9. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    *reads the opening post*

*laughs hysterically*

That's strike number two, AJ.
  10. _Marshall_Mathers_ Jedi Knight

star 1
    I recommend that people listen to some Public Enemy, Nas, Tupac, Talib Kweli, or Mos Def. I'm leaving out a bunch of great artists though. I'm too lazy to make a list.
  11. Darth_Takedown Force Ghost

star 1
    Some of my favorite CD's in my collection are from hip-hop artists. But they should NEVER be allowed to sing the National Anthem before any sporting event. Why not? Because it is no longer singing, but "vocal acrobatics" that drag it out way too long. I saw one event in which a drum track was added, and I was thankful for that, because it kept the artist from straying too far with a lot of improvisation. No one in the genre has done it right since Whitney Houston, although Brandy has done a nice job with it from time-to-time. Sadly, those seem to be the exception when it comes to the Star Spangled Banner.
  12. black_saber Force Ghost

star 4
    Linken Park Papa Roach and DMX Kick Ass.
  13. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    They should release a KOTOR CD. The myriad scores had full symphonic depth and instrumentation variety.

Every rapping song sounds the same, with Gilmore Girls dialogue speed. Nirvana at least shows variation; Metallican tracks are a subgenre of their own.
  14. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    The Republic Commando tracks that Lucas Arts released was pretty cool.
  15. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Every rapping song sounds the same, with Gilmore Girls dialogue speed. Nirvana at least shows variation; Metallican tracks are a subgenre of their own.

It's funny how wrong you are.

1) Rappers don't all sound the same.

2) And if you think they all rap fast, you're even more wrong. Not one rapper raps at the same speed as the other. Each one is unique and has their own style and flow. Of course there are a few that sound similar to another rapper, but they're frauds anyway.

3) Nirvana? [face_laugh]
  16. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    They should release a KOTOR CD. The myriad scores had full symphonic depth and instrumentation variety.

You know that if you have it for PC it's pretty easy to extract the music? That's what I'm listening to right now.
  17. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Armenian Jedi is always starting this stupid discussion like he gonna convert everyone on the JC to like rap. good luck there buddy.

Yes because I truly truly care about what SW fans that I talk to for 1 or 2 hours a day listen to. I've never tried to convert anyone. I've converted one person on these boards, but I wasn't trying to.
  18. Akumz_Razor Jedi Master

star 4
    Listen to Foghat and Grand Funk Rail-Road I tells ya. That's real rock'n'roll!

edit- Also ZZ Top, Molly Hatchet, Maiden, Blaze, BLS, etc. I like some rap, oldschool NWA and Too Short is great, and Ant Banks has never let me down. But nevertheless, the bands I listed are still better.
  19. starwars6554 Force Ghost

star 6
    Rap isn't my thing. I just can't appreciate it for a couple of reasons.

1. I can't relate to what they're talking about in their songs. (Going to jail, getting a girl pregnant, shooting somebody, etc...)
    2. It gives me a headache.
    3. In my opinion, it takes no skill, just the ability to talk fast.

Now, if you want somebody who is amazing behind a microphone, check out Myles Kennedy, the lead singer of Alter Bridge. The man has the best voice I've ever heard period. He holds notes while going up or down and octave forever and then some, even while performing live. He's truly amazing.

Or Scott Anderson from Finger Eleven (don't let One Thing fool you. Check out Tip or Awake and Dreaming), or Eric Victorino from Strata, or Maynard James Kennan from Tool.

Or if Classic Rock is more your taste, Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin, Jack Bruce from Cream, Jim Morrison from The Doors.

These people are talented and make good music.

And as for Nirvana, no, Kurt Cobain was not the most talented guy, but he sure knew how to write a song.
  20. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    starwars6554, have you ever tried to rap?

Just take out a few seconds from your days and try to rap and you'll see how hard it actually is.
  21. starwars6554 Force Ghost

star 6
    No, I have not tried to rap, Armenian_Jedi because I have a speech impediment that causes me to stutter and not enunciate when I talk too fast. So that's fun...

Although in my defense, I play drums in a "Rap band" with my friends. Our singer is called Rabbi Steve Styles and we've done one song. I can e-mail it to you if you want. You might like it. I can't post the lyrics here because they're Anti-TOS. ;)
  22. Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost

star 7
    Sure, send an email over. my email address is in my profile.

EDIT: I have a stuttering problem, but I rap. Of course I can't rap fast, but just like I said, plenty of rappers rap slow.
  23. Precious_Bass Jedi Youngling

star 1
    T.A.T.U. All the things she said and Not Gonna Get Us And Ace On Base The Sign are my favourite songs ever.

Ciao!
  24. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    Pop music makes my head hurt...
  25. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'm not sure how to access the KOTOR game tracks, but there was a site that offered them and other LucasArts games before it got shut down last year. I also have some Starcraft tracks.

I'm particularly interested in accessing certain Homeworld 2 tracks . . .

KOTOR 2 was interesting as they offered both game movies and music in the selection screen. That's a first I've seen.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.