main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why dosn't Vader have Visions of the Future anymore?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Master_Anakin1, Oct 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Anakin1

Master_Anakin1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 31, 2005
    Anakin had them in all 3 of the prequals. (he said he dreamed he was a Jedi in the 1st movie)

But he never showed any think like that as Vader why?

Is his connection with the Darkside not letting him have that ability now?

2. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    "The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural"

It also inhibits other abilities, like the vision of the future. Yes, dark force users can forsee the future, but it also very much clouds their vision because of their greed for power and corruption. The dark side tends to make them see what they want to see in regards to the future.

3. Master_Anakin1

Aug 31, 2005
    That would explain why Palpatine didn't see Lukes staying with the Rebels.

4. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003
    Do you mean that explains why Palpatine didn't see Luke not turning to the dark side?

If so, then yes.

5. Master_Anakin1

Aug 31, 2005
    Yes thats what I mean!

6. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I think its mainly because his fate is sealed. He's a Sith by the OT and what does he have to look forward to. Does he still dream? Probably. Does he still think about the past? Maybe so.

He's a Sith Lord but who's to say that he can't? Just because he doesn't talk about it doesn't mean he can't. Besides, the focus is now on Luke, not Anakin, and Luke did see the future during his training with Yoda.

7. Master_Anakin1

Aug 31, 2005
    And he knew at once who his sister was when Obi-Wan talked about her.

8. DarthButt

Jun 11, 2003

But in the bigger picture:

Like you said - "Was Vader able to dream?" - yes

Was his fate sealed?: yes, as long as he was a Sith Lord, his fate was sealed. It wasn't until he had alternated his thoughts - then his fate was changed.

But as far as his vision and forsight goes, he and Palpatine both were blinded. Vader by his greed of power (he turns Luke, overthrows Palpatine - rules the galaxy); Palpatine by his greed of power (was never happy with the great apprentice he thought he got in Vader, and wanting someone to assist him in getting more power, and he sensed Vader wanting to overthrow him). This was their downfall. They were too sure that they would accomplish their goals. As Luke pointed out to Palpatine "Your overconfidence is your weakness." This clouded their vision of the future. They saw what they wanted to see, which was Luke turning, or being killed in one way or another, and the Rebellion destroyed. If they were able to see the future more clearly, then ROTJ would have ended much differently.

9. darthvaderv

darthvaderv Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    As others have said he probably does have visions/dreams. The two most important people in his life was his Mother and Padme. He was afraid to lose them and when his nightmares became a reality, he obviously lost them. He had nothing going into the OT apart from evil.

What does he dream of now. Ruling the galaxy, Killing Palps, accruting Luke. who knows?

10. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    Does he dream...(or are they nightmares?)...we may never know. We can only imagine.

He had dreams of being someone. He had dreams of lossing someone. He needed someone to replace her. He had dreams of lossing her replacement. It a pattern.

After almost lossing Padme, he wanted to be something. He got it and threw off the pattern.

Maybe he dreams about what his future holds. But he couldn't see past the death star.

Maybe he dreams of what could have been.

We can only imagine.

And have our own perseptions.

Cheers_Cazza@};-

11. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    He may have lost the ability or lost interest in interpreting any visons he had after he lost Padme.

12. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    Vader does not have visions for the "future" because that gift
    to see things into a possible future is a gift of the light side
    of the force. Since his connection to the light side is lost
    when he turns to the dark side, he isn't able to get the visions.

Or it could be possible he does get the visions and we don't see
    it because the Original Trilogy is told from the point of view of
    Luke Skywalker.

13. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    It may be possible that he still has visions but since they are not relevant to the core story so they were not included.

14. theN00_Jedi

theN00_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2005
    that ones kind of hard to swallow, I mean, Palpatine was pretty much darkside all the way from I to VI, even if wasn't in the first one[face_laugh] and he sure did a lot of fore-seeing, for someone who caouldn't see the future..

..not to mention, anakin, had pretty much gone darkside since EP II, or eariler, I mean he kept opining about the joys of totalitarianism, and executing people he didn't like, yet he still had plenty of visions back then..

15. Number20

Number20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2005
    Getting visions of the future has nothing to do with lightside/darkside powers. Foreseeing the future isn't that exact. From what we've seen in the trilogy, it comes in little bits and peices, and not anything exact. Palpatine was a master of interpreting these bits and pieces into what would happen. He never could see "everything," but he usually managed to form his plans to where the missing parts didn't matter/could be corrected for later. But even the best at interpreting the future, Palpatine, couldn't see everything, and it was fatal when he missed Luke not turning and the failures at Endor. Anakin/Vader wasn't very good at interpreting the future, and by this point he probably has figured out that trying to guess at it is more trouble than its worth for him. After all, if he hadn't been so obsessed with "saving Padme" she wouldn't of needed saving in the first place. Anakin's future-dreams basically never brought him anything but grief, and therefore he isn't trying to tell the future like Palpatine. Especially since he no longer has anyone he cares about until Luke comes along, so maybe no more "spontanious" dreams.

16. That_Random_Jedi

That_Random_Jedi Jedi Master star 3

May 14, 2005
    Anakin had visions about those he cared for. Vader didn't care for anyone at all. So, thusly, no visions. You can only have visions about people you care for if you care for people. And Vader didn't. Though maybe he had one or two once he learned about Luke. How did they know to go to Hoth? Vader's intuition!

17. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000

The Emperor was trying to change the future. Sidious, according to Darth Vader, forsaw Luke destroying the Sith eventually. That's why he wants to turn Luke. Yes, to get rid of Vader, and replace him with Luke so that he, the Sith, and his Empire wouldn't fall. But I do agree with you in a sense that Luke being on the Emperor's team was more of Palpatine's personal want and need as opposed to foreseeing it actually happen so Luke was correct when he told Sidious that he was going on overconfidence.

As far as Vader, he couldn't even foresee Luke meeting up with him on Endor. He will come to me?. Perhaps the Emperor did foresee Luke coming to Vader, and Vader bringing him before the Emperor. But he couldn't foresee Luke actually turning. He dreamed that up.

18. skyysoblue

skyysoblue Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 15, 2005
    We don't spend enough time with Vader to know if he has visions or not. Remember, he is able to look into his own feelings to realize that Luke is his son. He could very well have had images of Luke being destroyed in a hail of force lightning and he was trying to stop this image from coming true by turning luke to the dark side.

The visions are also related to those he knows and cares for (mother/wife), nobody existed in these roles after ROTS.

I also suspected that the images were ehanced and created by the Emperor (created as in having his mother kidnapped and tortured much like what happened in ESB)

19. Astral_Bug

Astral_Bug Jedi Master star 1

Sep 19, 2005
    Maybe he does have them, but he doesn't care anymore.
    From the end of ROTS he considers himself to be evil, that it's not possible for him to redeem himself, can't go back to his former self, etc. So he ignores his visions/dreams and just hopes to die soon, free his sole. But Palps doesn't let him. (Just my point of view.)

20. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Why dosn't Vader have Visions of the Future anymore?"

maybe he sold it on ebay :p
    Vader hates Zahn :eek:
    (sorry, lame joke...)

21. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    Heh, glad I'm not the only one thinking "Tim Zahn!" when I saw the title of the thread.

:p

22. soriano329

soriano329 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2005
    maybe he can't see the future anymore because of excessive burning on his head.

23. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Vader is in his meditation chamber, his helmet removed. Piett comes in, Vader is muttering to himself.

VADER: No... No! No, Ozzel, no! No...

Vader senses Piett and lowers his helmet. Piett turns to leave.

VADER: Don't go...
    PIETT: I don't wish to disturb you, m'lord.
    VADER: Your presence is soothing.
    PIETT: Um... Thank you, m'lord.

A pause.

PIETT: You had a nightmare again.
    VADER: Sith don't have nightmares.
    PIETT: I heard you from the bridge m'lord.

Vader turns in his chair to face Piett.

VADER: I saw Ozzel. I saw him as clearly as I see you now. He was as clumsy as he was stupid. He... he came out of lightspeed too close to the system...

Vader begins to sob quietly. Piett rushes up to him and puts his hand on the Dark Lord's shoulder.

PIETT: To be angry, is to be human, m'lord.

Piett holds the weeping Vader.

24. fettmaster39

fettmaster39 Jedi Master star 3

Jun 9, 2005
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [face_laugh]

25. Jedi_Master_Cazz

Jedi_Master_Cazz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 13, 2005
    I'm officially scared beyond the point of recall.

Now!...back on the subject.

Vader would of had dreams. I can't imagine him with out them for some reason.

In the dream about his mother, he saw her die.

The dreams are a warning.

If he hadn't of gone...he wouldn't of benn there to see her die.

The dreams of Padme...she didn't die in childbirth...she dies after it. She died of a broken heart. If Anakin hadn't of turned, her heart would be intact, and the Skywalker would be a (big [face_mischief]) happy family...

...And we'd have no plot line, or story for that matter.

Who knows the way GL thinks?...

Cheers_Cazza@};-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.