main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Ep III will be better than I or II

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Solo_629112, Jul 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solo_629112

Solo_629112 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    GL will have a fewer number of gaps to fill in from his original source material.

He has stated when he created Star Wars there was so much material he had to break it up into three parts. He also had to create a back story from which to work with for the original trilogy.

It stands to make sense as you get closer to Ep IV he would have the most fleshed out part of the back story, and I am hopeful the closest in spirit to the OT.

Is this wishful thinking? What do your senses tell you?

2. du365

du365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2003
    If GL is directing it then they will all be equal and that not a good thing!

3. KosmicKnine

KosmicKnine Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    TPM is great. AOTC is great. Episode III will be great; and I'll be happy.

4. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    well, I have to tell you that I wanted to remain as spoiler-free as possible.

That being said, I couldn't help but read the chats with McCallum, Coleman, Nick Gillard and others.

And the information contained in those (check the OS messageboards) leads me to believe that Episode III could be the greatest SW movie of all time.

There, I think that was suitably vague.

More reasons why Episode III will be better:

I agree, it's the climax of the PT: we finally get to see Palpatine take power, Anakin turn to the DS, Yoda and Obi-Wan go into hiding, and the Jedi Order be destroyed.

How can this movie not be unbelievably exciting?

5. DarthLordExarKun

DarthLordExarKun Jedi Padawan star 4

May 2, 2003
    The hype alone and the fact that we will have waited so long for it will make it the PT. Based on chats from Mcallum, Knoll, etc. it will be the nest ever.

6. Mauls_Other_Half

Mauls_Other_Half Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2001
    Hmmm...

Well, I'll try and avoid the "hey Lucas can do nothing wrong" response, which is fairly easy to do when I recall how I felt about TPM, and respond to the original post.

I actually disagree that there are fewer gaps to fill. In fact I think there is so much story still left to tell that Episode 3 is going to be either a non-stop roller coaster ride, or else a disappointing "gloss-over" of key plot elements that we've been waiting for a long time to see.

Let's hope its a ride.

7. thenink

thenink Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 19, 2002
    Ha ha ha ha! Hey, wasn't Episode II supposed to be the best SW film ever?!

As long as it remains a SW film, Episode 3 will rock right along with the rest of them.

EAT KRISPY KREME'S! :D

8. KYP_DURRON85

KYP_DURRON85 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 20, 2003
    Yes yes,McCallun says that and he says that,we still dont have to believe him. Do you really think he has the room to say anything bad about Lucas?
    So eppyIII you were talking about?
    Well, I do HOPE it will be the best ever and I have to say it really has that chance,because eppyII was second in my mind what comes to sw movies.

9. THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN

THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    In a nut shell...
    :cool:
    Ep1 bored me
    Ep2 fustrated me
    Ep3 will eat concrete for breakfast !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. KYP_DURRON85

Apr 20, 2003
    Not big fan of preguels,I see.

I love preguels as much as OT. Well,TPM was bad of em all.

11. KYP_DURRON85

Apr 20, 2003
    "Douple posts,not again" :( :mad:

12. Solo_629112

Solo_629112 Jedi Youngling

Jun 27, 2003
    I have come to accept the fact their will be loose ends left untied at the end of Ep III, because one movie is simply not long enough to explain all the unanswered questions. If I understand correctly there is about 20 years that will separate Ep III and IV that is a lot of time for things to happen in the SW Universe. This leaves open many possibilities for EU material.

What encourages me about Ep III is it should come from the most fleshed out part of the backstory Lucas created when he originally wrote Star Wars. This I hope means he has a more defined road map of where this Episode has to go and has had to dream up less of the details which is where I feel some of the disappointing parts of the PT come from.

13. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    You may recall my thread "Episode 3 = the best prequel, reasons why inside"

ill see if i can find it

14. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I'm expecting to see a movie simillar to either ROTJ, ESB, or ANH in style. The PT is actually pushing itself into what we recall the OT to be. At the end of AOTC when I saw those Star Destroyers I had an instant flashback to The Empire Strikes Back.

I'm thinking Episode III will be the least liked, mainly because our heros are killed off and evil triumphs. Episode I was excellent. Episode II was magnificent. Episode III will be wonderful.....

15. Lukecash

Lukecash Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    The really funny thing is that the prequels are better in one aspect. Lucas realizes that he is making three movies and planned the elements of the plot accordingly.

Will it rock? yes...it's the third act. Already the tensions is high because of Anakins has chosen the Seductive side of the force once. One of the things that many review said, was that the stuff in AOTC was what the were looking for in TPM.

But that's the point- You have to show the good, lighthearted side of the universe before you can show the ultimate destruction of a good man.

Only then, can A New Hope offer any meaning...

Of all you Old Timers out there (you know, the ones who refer to ANH as Star Wars, cause you saw it the first time that way!) My question is this....isn't Return of the Jedi much more satisfying now that you know what kind of guy Anakin was in the begining?

16. Darth-Dispicable

Darth-Dispicable Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 4, 2003
    I think it will be the best movie in the PT.

I hope I am correct in believing that we will get to see much more of the dark aspects of SW and Ankin, not to mention a lot more of that good ol'fashion lightsaber dueling.

We should also be able to get a glimpse of some more of the political intrigue that allows Palpatine to become the "Emporer". I am very curious as to how he switched from Chancellor to Emporer and I hope that GL shows it in EP3.

EDIT:

thenick posted: As long as it remains a SW film, Episode 3 will rock right along with the rest of them.

I could not agree more.

17. Obikon

Obikon Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2003
    Lets look at the story from Ep 4 on and back. It's always been about how Anakin was takein by evil and the peace that he finds in his children. So we have to look at this we get to see the brith of the twins the fall of the Jedi and Anakin trun to the drakside. So really after this one we will have the whole story and we can watch all of them over and over. Thats why this one will be better.

18. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Everything that anyone knew about what happened before Ep IV will happen in III.

That's not very well written, but i hope you can see what i'm talking about.

19. bleh19

bleh19 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2001
    The reason Ep 3 will be better than the TPM and AOTC is b/c Ep 3 was probably the easiest to write for GL. These are the scenes that GL has been running through his head for the past 25 years. Every scene is pretty much going to write itself as a result of GL setting himself up w/ a good climax to PT.

Also, there is plenty of time to get all the necessary plot points in.

Key Plot Points:
    End of the Clone wars
    Palpatine becoming Emperor
    Anakin turning to the darkside
    Padme giving birth
    Obi Wan and Yoda going into hiding w/ the twins
    Padme's Fate?

Now, there's a few other things that will fit in there that are encompassed in some of those points above like Dooku's death, Mace's death, Obi WAn/Anakin duel, and Anakin taking on the suit. The only tricky point will be Padme's fate.

Only other thing that isnt really a main point and doesnt necessaarily need to be discussed but will prolly be in the movie is an explanation about Jedi disappearing.

20. Darth_Anathema

Darth_Anathema Jedi Youngling

Jul 27, 2003
    Of the prequels, when all of them have been completed, AOTC will be remembered as the most epical in style, feeling, and scope while Episode 3 will be remembered as the most personal. As sublime as AOTC is at achieving this epical feel and in spite of its unadulterated excitement, it has its flaws. We all know about the love story and how its perceived shortcomings of believability have been attributed to Lucas's style of writing and directing. Whether you liked it or not, it has been the one cause of this endless criticism we hear. Fortunately, the love story will be de-emphasized, and this perceived "weakness of Lucas" will be non-existent in Episode 3.

The shift of focus will be on the rupture of Anakin's relationship with Obi-Wan. A plethora of action scenes supposedly will supersede the long stretches of dialogue we have seen in the first two prequel movies. Finally, the very appearance of Vader himself will elevate the movie's mood. When all is finished, Lucas's intent on making this movie personal will succeed without having to be as epical as previous SW films.

21. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    as long as it is dark it will be good and it will be very very dark... at least i hope so

22. Cpt_Obvious

Cpt_Obvious Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2003
    I think it will be better because we have seen Anakin in steps throughout the trilogy and this will be the culmination.

23. THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN

THE_DARKNESS_WITHIN Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2003
    During Ep2 post production, Lucasso went on & on about the Anakin / Padme love story superseding the love story in "Titanic."

What a load of crap... I'm angry about this!!! [face_devil]

24. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    Personally, I think TPM was great. AOTC was an equally awesome movie and I KNOW Ep. 3 will be just as good if not better!

25. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    George Lucas has said that beginings were always boring to him, and that's why he elected to begin Star Wars with Episode IV, right in the middile of the action.

Episode III, being the twin middle film, is right smack in the middle of the action according to George Lucas by those lines.

Also, Vader is back. The entire prequel trilogy is to set-up Anakin's becoming Darth Vader and the Republic's becoming the Empire. Perhaps Mr. Lucas set out entirely on the Prequel Trilogy with the vision of the few fleeting seconds inwhich the transformation would take place.

In an extremly optimistic, possibly justified, view, both Episodes I & II are nothing but a pedestal for Episode III to sit on.

Atleast that's the way I'd like to look at it. Plus, who dosen't love Chewy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.