main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why even put Darth Maul in the movie?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by JediSpecialEd1996, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediSpecialEd1996

JediSpecialEd1996 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2005
    I do not understand why George Lucas would even bother to put Darth Maul in the movie. All he did chase Anakin around and get killed at the end. He could have at least let Darth Maul live till the next movie so that Darth Maul would have more sinifigance.

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    You could almost say the same thing about Qui-Gon. [face_laugh]

3. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    maul was there to be killed, the same with dooku. at celebration 4 maybe lucas will show up again and someone could ask lucas that and why leia remembers her mother, the 'official' reason would be nice without all the speculation

4. Sarg_Kulo

Sarg_Kulo Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Cuz he's cool, duh

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Darth Maul was vital. It was his death that sealed Anakin's fate. Palpatine should never have let Maul die, but when he made the mistake over forseeing Maul's demise it meant that he would need another....

Dooku was seduced to give Palpatine time, but it was always Anakin that Palpatine was interested in after Mauls death. Quite simply, if Maul hadn't died, we wouldn't have a Saga, because Palpatine wouldn't have needed Anakin. But the fact that Anakin wasn't seduced until he was quite old meant that there was still good/love within him - Unlike Maul, who had probably been born into the Sithood.

6. andkiich

andkiich Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 19, 2005
    Maul's significance was that he is what first revealed the existance of the Sith(or re-emergence).

7. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Not every character in a saga has to have vital importance spread over the course of several movies. There can be characters that are used simply as plot devices or symbols. Maul hails the revealing of the Sith and sets the events of the PT into motion. Without Maul, Anakin doesn't end up in the hands of a master unprepared for the burden, the Jedi remain unaware of the Sith threat, and Palpatine has to search out a new apprentice.

I have my issues with TPM on certain plot points, but Maul isn't a character I would expect to last very long.

8. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    I really really wish that maul had never been in the mvoie and dooku had been the one that killed jin. Dooku was just a better villian and he was qui gons master how cool would it have been master Vs. student? Plus it would be another reason for anie to hate dooku. Rather than him just cutting his arm off, plus they could of shown dooku leaving the order and creating the CIS. Maul was just a throw away bad guy.

9. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Maul was made to tell the Jeid the Sith were back and he keep them distracted while Palpatine did his stuff behind the scences. Plus Maul was more for brute strength rather then thinking like Dooku was. Maul would have a hard time conviencing people to join the separatists because it would be join or die. Were Dooku looked like the head of everything and could give a convincing speach to the others on why to join his side. Basically Dooku could think were Maul was all action but he's still a kick a$$ character even if it's only the one movie.

10. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    I second that.

11. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    If Maul wasn't there we'd have to suffer through more Qui-Gon in the next film! Thank God Maul was there to whack him!

12. Much_Fear_in_Me

Much_Fear_in_Me Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    The one thing to me to have maul in the movies is that the sith had been in hiding, thus Sids would have had an apprentice for a long time and not some Jedi he talked into turning.

In this case he had been training Maul since birth.

13. samumaul

samumaul Jedi Youngling

Aug 19, 2005
    I just had to respond to this one. just check out my icon and signature, and you can tell that i am a fan of Maul.

he was Sid's instigater. he was the first one to pick a fight with the jedi. he was also there to let the Jedi know that they were not all powerful. "Nobody can kill a Jedi". I don't think so, lil Ani. I guess he had never heard of the Sith before.

he was also there to represent the pure evil of the sith

14. mynameismyown

mynameismyown Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    i also agree with dooku being the main baddie after sidious instead of maul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.