main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why EXACTLY do the Sith want revenge on the Jedi?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Greedo_forever, Aug 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    Within the actual movie saga, are there ANY hints as to what the Jedi DID to the Sith to warrant vengeance?

I always just assumed that the simplest answer might be the correct one: that the Sith, being baddies in the past, were utterly defeated in an important conflict at the hands the Jedi, the good guys.

I'm not referring to any EU material here, just the facts from the films.

Anyone?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    The Jedi and the Sith have been in a constant war since their formations. There is a general hatred between the two, they view the Force in opposite ways, and can't reconcile it. As a result, they are in a constant competition for who will dominate the galaxy, which view will be spread. The Sith crave power, the Jedi seek justice. These two needs run them into a constant cycle of collision courses. Sometimes the Sith rule the galaxy, other times the Jedi are able to maintain a democracy.

In EU, there was a war where the Sith were wiped out. I don't know the details. The fact is they have differing views, and each want to dominate the galaxy in some way. They can't both, so they are at war.

-Seldon

3. AidenSunfell

AidenSunfell Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    Because the Sith are EEEEEEEVVVVIIIILLLLLLLL.

Really, without using EU sources I can't recall any reference just within the films to why the Jedi and Sith are in conflict other that the Jedi are anti-Dark Side and the Sith wear all black.

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    The Jedi best the sith back and they did not like that. So they want revenge on them.

5. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    You can figure this out easily just from the PT:

1,000 years ago the Sith controlled the Galaxy. The Jedi defeated them. The Republic was born & the Jedi were the protectors of that deomocracy from the start.

For 1,000 years the Sith planned their revenge: this was achieved by infiltrating & destroying the Republic from within.

What's so confusing?!

6. JediCouncilMaster

JediCouncilMaster Jedi Youngling star 6

Jun 23, 2005
    I agree. What's so confusing about this? The Sith and the jedi were fighting bloody wars and constantly being enemies to each other. Then after a while the Jedi deafeated them formed the Republic and under their noses the Sith were planning to strike back for what they did.

7. Greedo_forever

Greedo_forever Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2005
    So, based on spoken fact in the films this is your answer:

1,000 years ago, the Sith, bad guys, ruled the galaxy. The jedi, good guys, beat them down, and took over ruling the galaxy. The Sith, broken and beat down, bided their time, waiting to spring back and take over again.

'Kay, seems simple enough. I thought some of that was speculation or EU stuff.

IT IS CONFUSING, because I cannot remember any non-EU references to this history.

So thank you for your answers, the mods may now lock this thread.

8. newwillorder

newwillorder Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 29, 2004
    The answers you seek are there if you take in the little things that are said. In ROTS Sidious says that once more the Sith will rule the galaxy, meaning they were once in control. The Jedi who are light side users defeated the dark side using Sith in what was probably a huge conflict. Shortly after they defeated the Sith the Jedi helped form the Republic.

Not Exact Quotes:

Ki-Adi-Mundi: "The Sith have been extinct for a millenia."

Palpatine: "I will not let this Republic, which has stood for a thousand years, be split in two."

A millenium equals one thousand years.

The Sith waited in the shadows for the right time to strike.

Maul: "At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

9. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    Those quotes plus these from ROTS:

MACE WlNDU: The oppression of the Sith will never return. Your plot to regain control of the Republic is over . . .

PALPATINE: Once more, the Sith will rule the galaxy, and we shall have peace.

Really, those five or six lines tell the whole story.

10. Madakast

Madakast Jedi Youngling

Aug 9, 2005
    Does all this mean that the EU stories are invalid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.