main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why get rid of the clankers?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vincent Norris, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Vincent Norris

Vincent Norris Jedi Youngling

Jun 25, 2014
    Absolutely, I'm especially interested in the Yoda arc, but I thought I would try from the back and work my way forward, as far as the droids go I'll see if there is anything in the EU about it, or perhaps it is just a bit too uninteresting to actually think about, and if the droids had been there for Luke I'm sure Ben wouldn't have survived long enough to teach him, the Empire needed some vulnerability, it's just the larger forces deserve a great ending like the deaths of the Death Stars, not just an off switch

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    do you have netflix? if you do or if you buy digitally i suggest going in the chronological order when watching tcw. it's not required but the episodes jump around a lot.

Star Wars: The Clone Wars Chronological Episode Order | Star Wars Blog | Star Wars Blog

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Clones can think creatively, you'll find that they are immensely superior to droids."

That's why Palpatine used them. They did not have to be programmed by a command ship for each individual order in battle, their commanders could expect them to strategize on their own, albeit with some direction.

And the issues with the clones turning on the Jedi only came about because Lucas forgot what he did in AOTC and/or sacrificed overall plot in order to get people attached to characters like Rex and Fives.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    you're such a downer.

5. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014
    The droids do have some AI in CW and RotS as they appear to just be patrolling, in PM they are just released into battle against the Gungans, we don't specifically see a commanding figure with every move, they only have to be released, that's why I would have though having them as some protection | mercenary | hunting | intimidation force would make a lot of sense, and I'm trying to find something to tell me the ball hadn't been dropped on this

6. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012

The droids are controlled by a control ship, hence why it's called a control ship. Hence once the control ship is destroyed they are useless, because the control ship that is used to control them is gone, so they lose control.

VanishingReality likes this.
  7. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014
    The clones are pretty useless on their own without command too, Recruits in clone wars is a good example, they need the structure just as much really

8. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012
    That's a new one to me... What did Lucas forget he did in AOTC?

9. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

Highly disagree, a couple of the early (chronological) episodes show that the new clones even at an early stage operate successfully without having to have an overseer all the time like the droids did. I am specifically thinking of the Clone Cadets and Rookies Episodes.

Mod Note: No double posts mikeximus

Lord Chazza likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Thank you for sharing. But since I'm not a battle droid or a clone, maybe we should actually discuss the topic.

I'll be happy to explain but just so you know in advance...I am really, really not interested in feedback regarding how the Order 66 arc works with the movies if you look at it from this angle. I've had enough of those conversations, I don't care.

That said...proceeding if you're still interested.

In AOTC, we were shown Kaminoan clones with growth acceleration, military training, and creative thinking with one exception: the human instinct to question and defy orders was trained/programmed out of them. They would recognize and instinctively obey a command from someone they recognized as a superior officer.

Thus they were more efficient soldiers than even the best volunteer army would be.

What we got in TCW was...well...regular people. Might as well have used volunteer recruits. We had clones who were allegedly bred to be soldiers who complained about being soldiers. Hell, we even had one clone desert. So much for obeying any order.

In ROTS we had clones who had been having friendly chats with their commanders suddenly shoot them in the back after getting an order from another superior officer. It was creepy as hell, made even more so by the fact that in the film there was no switch-clicking, just an 'oh well, too bad for the Jedi, we've got to do this now' attitude.

The Order 66 arc's indication that there was switch-clicking takes away from the horror of that scene (not a fan of the Manchurian Candidate, betrayal is far more horrifying than an involuntary switch-click), plus the clone portrayal overall detracts from the entire concept of their being created to be superior soldiers and eventually betray the Jedi.

11. mikeximus

Jan 6, 2012

I haven't watched all the TCW episodes, but, I agree with you I didn't like that they all of a sudden have personalities and show individualism in the form of self expression, not to be confused with individualism on the battlefield. So I can agree with you there.

However, the movie aspect doesn't bug me at all. That's what they were "programmed" to do. There is no betrayal in the movies by the clones as they had no choice in the matter. Call that what you will. They were clones, given an order, and they followed it because they didn't have a choice in the matter as it (choice) was genetically removed out of them.

I will just leave it at that..

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I think we're on the same page or close to it. Whether "betrayal" was the right word or not for what happened in the movies, I thought an inhibitor chip detracted from that, especially with the clones supposedly having "nightmares" about killing the Jedi.

They were more enjoyable to watch when they just didn't care.

13. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    What's your take on this...do you recall that subtle peculiar moment in AOTC when Obi-Wan was being given the grand tour of the cloning facilities and while being told about their obedience we observe one of the clones while eating sort of look up from his lunch plate with a small sideways snarl on his lips? It lasts just a second, but since it seemed to suggest ever so slightly the potential to question authority, it made me question a little the validity of what they were telling Obi-Wan at the time later on in the Saga.

14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just took that as 'yeah, that dude does look like Jango Fett.' I didn't even notice what was being said in the conversation at the time.

15. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014
    The other vulnerability that the clones have is due to the fact that as the empire grows less and less of the army is made out of clones, as described first in star wars battlefront 2 and in other EU statements i have seen they become less pure as obviously if one clone dies they have to be replaced with a grown clone, rather than simply putting the parts back together. To make a clone army from scratch took a decade or more but the droids can simply build themselves and they are very close to easily being able to repair as they are fighting the enemy from their losses.
    As you say there are many soldiers in the arcs of the clone wars which stands outside of the pure, and in those first born soldiers in their combat then as the war progresses Kamino is forced to push out as many half-trained soldiers as they can in the worst case being that soldier in the lost missions of the clone wars who murders a Jedi outside of the order.
    Their mercilessness needs to be returned but really in the original trilogy they are only following command, not specifically strict but just following orders which is a gentle force of contentment where they are already in power and have nothing to fight for.
    With regards to the droids though, if they require a control ship how do they stay functional in the separate cruiser ships?
    Again it still appears they were just abandoned without real reason, perhaps that is part of the scrap that fills up the death star in episode IV.
    If the emperor was within the rule of one as I was under the impression he was then I would have thought these could be the assassins' army, such as the Magma guards that are there to protect Grievous?
    Again it must be obvious I am an amateur with regard to my knowledge but somebody asked when they watched the third film and I had no suggestion whatsoever for just turning them off

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The battle droids and the Clones together would give Palpatine an almost innumerable and unstoppable army. Yeah the growth acceleration for the clones would be a problem but why not? Maybe people might put the dots together that he orchestrated all of this?

17. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014

Having an unstoppable army is the whole point of being within the rule of one, the leader of the galaxy

As I said it becomes such a problem they end up with a force that is basically just a mercenary force made up of enslaved aliens and groups that just want to kill, those who are lose with command and far too destructive with races raising further rebellions and destruction, as well as easily having the ability to just leave the force if they get paid better somewhere else

It wouldn't matter if you knew the plot that Palpatine used to overthrow the Republic as the rebel alliance would be crushed by that invincible force, I can't see why he wouldn't do that

18. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    Innumerable perhaps. Unstoppable? Perhaps not. I would imagine that that in trying to use both armies concurrently, difficulties in coordination etc could be exploited to an enemies advantage, actually reducing the effectiveness of the fighting force as a whole.

Furthermore, if the clones constantly have to be drawn away from what they're doing to help the droids win a losing battle (I imagine this would probably happen a lot) then the extra numbers that the droids would add to the army would effectively be nullified. For a historical case, Italian army support was not ultimately helpful for the German army in WW2.

19. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014
    The two forces are equal, I can't see why everyone thinks the droids are far worse off than the clones, they were not constantly losing in the war and weapons like the death star and Grievous' weapon ship [I can't remember its name] were quite strong, as I said destroy the primitive forces and scare them with the hundreds of millions in their factory. The difficulty in moving them would just be "go here" and then switch the droids on, they shouldn't be combined as obviously that wouldn't make sense to a divided and controlled galaxy [the very powerful reason why the war was such an effective predicate to the Empire itself]

Really this is not supposed to be a comparison of the two armies, I am just wondering why they are just discarded and whether there is some reason for that in the star wars universe that's all. If not then it is an unanswered question they might use in 7

20. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Because Lama Su says so. Because Jango Fett says they'll do well and he should know what he's talking about. Because the droids perform poorly at Geonosis. Because the droid armies were in retreat on most worlds by ROTS.

They won a few battles sure. But the Republic won more battles.

The Malevolence got destroyed pretty quickly. The Death Star existed only as plans in the Clone Wars as we all know. It was designed by the Geonosians yes but was only built by the Empire. It has no bearing on the competance, or lack thereof of battle droids.

21. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014
    The manifestations of all the armies against the clones reach into multiple types of machines such as the Magna guards and Grievous are creations of this force and in the Clone Wars the scopes of their desecration on the Republic are displayed quite strongly with republic cruisers falling all over the place. The fact they can be replaced means that "a droid is worth a thousand droids" which wouldn't take long at all, if used in waves they are very capable of overwhelming the forces of the clones and came very close to smashing through the outer rim

The death star and the Malevolence shows the potential they hold, the loss of the clones in that destruction was higher than the droids lost. When you consider the commando droids their intelligence is reaching into the human realm.

Perhaps the emperor stopped the units as their intelligence began to grow too far?

This is still not really looking at the actual point I tried to raise at the beginning, I can't really see why it keeps veering to worship of clones again

22. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    I think the point you originally raised has been answered by many posters in this thread in various ways. At the core though is this, Palpatine got rid of the droids because they were surplus to requirements. Simple as that.

The fact is, the Republic won. That more or less proves that the military forces of the Republic were superior to the military forces of the CIS.

If you're just going to be rude I'll give up on this thread.

23. Vincent Norris

Jun 25, 2014

Firstly I am not being rude I am just highlighting that everyone seems to think one force is better than the other, they lasted for years and there were losses and victories on both sides, the Emperor forced the victory through his own orders, there is no need to abandon a thread, I'm really not used to forums

I think it is true that when the Empire has won then they can control the meek forces yet if the droids had left the battle then there should have been a lot of rebellions | revolutions but I can see that they were only really there to make the Clones battle hardened and stronger, forcing the helmets, weapons and machines to upgrade really

24. Separatist101

Separatist101 Jedi Master star 3

May 11, 2010
    I think it's because there were millions of them, and the Separatist holdouts could've used them to resist the Empire, see Gizor Dellso and his droid army, the Empire had to get rid of the droids, otherwise they would've been a threat, limited numbers of droids were used by the Empire as well

25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Mod: Reminder to all. If you cant keep the discourse civil, you will be taking a forced vacation from the forum.