Why has rock failed?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by That_Flashing, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaineDamo Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Thats because its "cool" to mock them.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I'm aware that you don't have to be Punk to have something to say. In the same vein, neither do you have to be Folk like Dylan. I'm not saying Punk cornered the market on political statements, just that they did make them.
  3. DAK52476 Jedi Knight

star 1
    They do get mocked. They and Pearl Jam have been mocked in this very thread.

But they're not mocked in any way that counts. People on the internet dump on everything. Even there, for every person who complains about them, there are five more who like them.
  4. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yeah me. I like Nirvana and I LOVE Pearl Jam.

5. megashortloser Jedi Padawan

ROCK IS NOT DEAD. it will come back. right now the music minds of our generation are getting washed away by brittany spears and justin tymberlake. i admitt it i used to say that rap took minor talent. but no doubt about it rock takes more talent.

most bands calling themselfs punk arent really. there more rock/pop.

sara
  6. 6-6-6 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I agree that Rock isnt dead, its just not at the forefront of music anymore, and has been splitting, combining, and evolving until it is no longer easy to distinguish just what "rock" is.

Rock, like jazz and classical, has become such a far-reaching genre (is that the right word?) and influences or spawns so many other, more popular styles today that it will not really die or fail. Classical music no longer is a specific type of music, because every piece of classical music can further be divided into such genres as baroque, romance, modern, and even to a certain extent, country. The same has happened with Jazz, but not to such a great extent. There is swing, bluegrass, ragtime, easy listening, classic jazz...

Rock seems to be going through the same type of division and evolution as classical and jazz. Punk, Rap, Indie Emo, Pop, Classic Rock, eighties, Metal...all owe their existance to rock, even though they are a far cry from the days of the Beatles and the Who.
  7. starwars6554 Force Ghost

star 6
    Yeah...exactly!

And if you think Pearl Jam gets mocked, think of all the abuse Creed has to put up with. [face_plain]
  8. DAK52476 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh and just to set the record straight...I LOVE Nirvana and Pearl Jam (And AIC and Soundgarden for that matter). In fact I loved PJ's last show here in Knoxville so much that I'm thinking of going to see them in Nashville.
  9. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Do it DAK... :) I just saw em in December in Seattle. Amazing show... I truly love that band.

And if you think Pearl Jam gets mocked, think of all the abuse Creed has to put up with.

Never mention those two bands in the same sentance in front of me. *brandishes umbrella with wand hidden inside*

[face_plain]

10. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Nirvana gets too much credit in my opinion, very overhyped as well. The way it is told today, they single handedly revolutionized rock in the early 90s but let the truth be told. There was this other band who did the same if not more, I think their name was Pearl Jam maybe?
  11. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Yes but even then, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains also did a great deal. Just because Nirvana and Pearl Jam sold the most records does not negate other bands' major role in the whole early 90s thing. I think Facelift was more groundbreaking than Nevermind or Ten. Don't get me wrong, I think Ten is the greatest album of the 90s. Facelift was just something that NO ONE else was doing anything that sounded like that in 1990. Soundgarden was recording in the mid to late 80s. They got signed to a major label before any other Seattle band. Before Pearl Jam even FORMED.

12. -_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I agree, every band from the era contributed. The thing about it is that Nirvana is always constantly being forced down our throats these days and they weren't that great IMHO.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Personally, I wouldn't group Linkin Park in with Limp Biskit and the other MTV-pushed crap. LP, from as far as I can tell, started out small and didn't get the "MTV-push" until after they were succesfull. IIRC, their album never hit "#1", but sold solidly at a consistant rate. I know I didn't buy their album because of any "MTV" crap- I got the album when it came out because I had seen them perform prior to that ("low-dough" show) and enjoyed it. So, I think they earned their success, unlike bands like Limp Bizkit that simply gained it from MTV forcing it out there.

To the topic at hand though- I don't think rock is dead, but the lesser sales is what some people have already suggested in this thread: MTV doesn't play Rock anymore, so the teenagers don't see it and they are what buys a large portion of CD's.

Also, as others have already pointed out- Rock's done well with live performances, and thats what sells the CD's for the genre nowadays. I know the five or so bands that have gotten the most play in my CD player over the past 3 years (Disturbed, Adema, Korn, Linkin Park & Rob Zombie) were CD purchases based on seeing them in concert (though I'll admit Adema is nowhere as good live as their CD is), and not MTV or Radio play.
  14. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Well, Linkin Park has potential. I thought the whole album was just boring crao, but In The End is an amazing song. So amazing that I will pay attention to what they do in the future to see if I like more of it. After all, I only like one Filter song on their first album, yet their second is freakin incredible.

15. GrandAdmiralPelleaon Force Ghost

star 6
    So, I think they earned their success, unlike bands like Limp Bizkit that simply gained it from MTV forcing it out there.

Oh come on, Limp Bizkit did it just like Linkin Park, they started with small shows and moved to bigger shows. And I think Limp Bizkit actually played a show before signing a record deal.
  16. lexu Force Ghost

star 6
    Listening to Queens of the Stone Age's Songs For the Deaf right now, I refuse to believe that rock has died. It's only evolved. There's a lot out there that gets overlooked when bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit get thrown out for the masses as this decade's "rock." But there's a huge underground spread all over the world. Just because it's been overshadowed, rock isn't gone.

PS- Who else wants to see SoaD beat the living crap out of Good Charlotte? ("We will fight the heathens, we will fight the heathens...")
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.