main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why has there been so few space battles in cinema?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by BobaFrank, Mar 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    Movies I can reference with space battles.

TPM
    AOTC
    ANH
    ESB
    ROTJ
    ST II: Wrath of Kahn
    ST III: Search for Spock
    ST VI: The Undiscovered Country
    The Last Starfighter
    Enemy Mine
    ST: First Contact

These are the only ones that come to mind right now. I'm sure more can be added, but still, there have been tens of thousands of movies produced over the decades and yet we have this few movies with space battles? Surely more can be done?

2. Dani1138

Dani1138 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 20, 2002
    Star Treks Generations, Insurrection and Nemesis also have space battles.

Beyond that, I'm having a hard time thinking of many right now. Theres always Battle Beyond the Stars, and, um, Monty Python and the Life of Brian as well.

3. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
  4. darkcide

darkcide Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    Don't forget Mel Brooks History of the World. JEWS...IN...SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    My guess is it is due to the resources that it takes to create a decent space combat. It is similiar to why war movies are so expensive, it costs a lot to create the ships/uniforms, special effects, etc.

Their was also a space battle in Wing Commander.

6. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    Where was there a space battle in AotC?

The Cloner

7. Ulkesh2

Ulkesh2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    Do not forget The Last Starfighter! Sure wish someone would make a sequel to that one. Heh-heh-heh...

8. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think it's mainly due to the fact that the Star Wars saga has set the bar so high for space battles. Many directors and writers are afraid to venture into the realm merely out of fear of being sub-par in comparison.

9. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    "Where was there a space battle in AotC?"

When Obi and Jango battled in the asteriod belt.

"Do not forget The Last Starfighter! Sure wish someone would make a sequel to that one. Heh-heh-heh..."

I didn't. ;) I consider the space battle in The Last Starfighter to be one of the best ever. The Gunstars are awesome and the Death Blossom was genious. I wish they would do a sequel as well. Btw, it was the first movie to have an all cgi space battle. Impressive since it was done in 86'.

10. I_AM_A_CLONER

I_AM_A_CLONER Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 13, 2003
    "When Obi and Jango battled in the asteriod belt."

Yes!! You are right! Somehow I always forget to think of that one!

The Cloner

11. Ty-gon Jinn

Ty-gon Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    There was a battle early on in Lost In Space, as well...

I think it's because space travel is not really a part of life as we know it. There aren't many occasions for a space battle in simple fiction, and let's face it... you could always create an excuse for space battles by creating your own galaxy full of futuristic technology and a widespread civil war, but I'd like to see you do it without copying Star Wars. ;)

12. ArnaKyle

ArnaKyle Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2000
    Probably has nothing to do with it, but space battles in film defy ALL science--technically there would be no sound or explosion, which would make for a very dull battle.

Of course, everyone wants the cool battles, so I doubt that its filmmakers wanting to be reasonably scientifically accurate.

13. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Off the top of my head:
    The Fifth Element
    Flash Gordon (Serials)
    Flash Gordon
    Starship Troopers
    Ice Pirates
    Galaxy Quest
    Battle Beyond the Stars
    Battlestar Galactica
    Independence Day
    Starship Invasions

And Money is likely the big issue. Mostly though, I'd say it has to do with Sci-Fi not being a huge market to begin with.

14. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    I think sci-fi is a big market. The PT and the Matrix trilogy proved that and there is still more coming.

15. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    My theory has always been that filmmakers are afraid of doing space battles because critics will consider them Star Wars rip-offs, simply because the space battles in ANH blew everyone away. I look at Independence Day, great movie, ton of fun, but most critics just looked at it as Star Wars on Earth.

16. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Dude, how can you forget the epic battle in Spaceballs? That was a great battle. Especially the last battle with the transformed "Spaceball 1" sucking all of the air off of Druidia. Spaceballs had some epic battles. :p

But seriously, just about every sci-fi movie which is based in space has had some sort of battle in space, whether long or very brief.

17. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    The PT and the Matrix trilogy proved that.

Yes, and there was no Sci-Fi at all before Matrix. Certianly nothing "big". It's not like there was an E.T., or Close Encounters, or Flash Gordon, or Last Starfighter, or Star Wars, or Star Trek.

Thank God for the Matrix. ;)

18. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    I think your taking this out of context. We are talking about why there are so few SPACE BATTLES in film considering there are tens of thousands of movies. I was merely mentioning recent sci-fi movies.

Did you not see The Last Starfighter and SW and ST mentioned in my original post? Close Encounters and E.T. don't have Space Battles in them. Not trying to argue, but it seems you were being little sarcastic.

19. DS615

Oct 30, 2003
    I was, you're right. Sorry if I offended.

You suggested that the Matrix (a movie with no space battles) "proved" that Sci-fi was popular. I was merely pointing out that Sci-fi did not begin in the 1990's.

My point was that Sci-fi isn't a large genere, and the projects in it are always dubed a risk by the studio. Drama, Comedy, Romance, and Action/Adventure are all generes that have a high profit-to-cost ratio, so they are made more often, and hence, are more popular for a studio to make.

20. Darth_Imran

Darth_Imran Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    The battle between Jango and Ben in AOTC was visually beautiful. It was really a high point for the saga in terms of dog fighting in space. Also, the little nod to the OT and Han was nice (Obi-Wan hiding on the asteroid).

The reason why there haven?t been too many is because "space battle" is something very specific. When we see those words, we associate ships or vehicles, if you will, in space, battling one another. Thus, many films have a form of space battle, just not taking place in space. ;)

21. BobaFrank

Jul 17, 2001
    DS615,

No offense taken. It's all good. :) You would think after all these years with the successes of sci-fi movies we've already mentioned, the studios wouldn't be so afraid to take a chance.

22. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    And yet television has been doing it for years from Flash Gordon all the way up to Star Trek, BG,B5 et al.

Course the best were done Saturday morning toontime. ;)

23. TCM-74

TCM-74 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 15, 2004
    I think the biggest reason there are not many space battle/space opera films being made is solely because of artistic inclination. And because Star Wars pretty much covered all the ground. But mostly artistic inclination. Most sci-fi material story-wise is usually told on a much smaller scale though it can contain monumental meaning and/or plot devices.

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Babylon 5- some of the best, rivals ROTJ.

25. Jedi_Queen_Mx

Jedi_Queen_Mx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2003
    Money, money, and more money. Honey.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.