main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why hasn't Lucasfilm/Disney tried to shut down MSW?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by star wars geek, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    It's leaking so much. Why haven't they sent them a cease/desist order? There is a difference between a fan site promoting the product they love (in this case, Star Wars) and a fan site leaking information that A) might spoil the film for fans or B) spreading lies.

I suppose you could say all publicity is good publicity, it promotes ep 7, but, and I don't mean this in an unkind way, it feels as if the people at MSW are almost laughing at the crew.

"Hey look, we got more documents from the film, more info to reveal! Ha ha ha!"

If I were the head of Disney I'd try to shut down MSW. The site is reporting way too much. I don't mind the information but the studio should say "enough is enough."

MSW is now breaking down actual scenes - key moments:

I'm amazed they can get away with this!

2. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    a) they can't shutdown the site because they don't post anything official: callsheets, concept arts, photoshoots etc.It's all hearsay.
    b) MSW would never reveal their sources and even if someone would pressed them hard, legally, I believe those sources would already have expired non-disclosure agreements (it's the end of February)

Disney could try to shut it down only if MSW decided to post everything as it is, blatantly and live for us to see, including eventual script leak (see: SPECTRE problems etc.)

*MSW is not spreading lies, only rumors or facts based on insider info
    **you are currently posting within SPOILER section of theforce.net, it's your choice to be here

I'm not pro spoilers to be honest, generally I avoid them entirely, but with Star Wars it's somehow different... at this point I want to know more because Disney isn't budging on the official campaign since teaser, so it's hard to just sit and wait for Anaheim or May.

Dak Oolron and sizziano like this.
  3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    The OP must be new to the online spoiler game. A company cannot legal go after a website just because they are giving their own description of events from a source. The only way they would be shut down or Disney could demand they remove something is if they post stolen real concept art, video, audio from the film, or any other copyrighted material such a pictures, etc.

TFN used to report spoiler scoops all of the time for the prequels just like MSW is doing now for TFA, and TFN was never shut down because they just used their own words to describe scenes, etc.

4. star wars geek

Oct 20, 2014
    This seems specific:

That is a breakdown of moments in the storyline. Other than posting scanned pages of the screenplay, I think stuff like the above is pushing it! MSW are trying to post as much detail as they think they can get away with!

5. m4st4

m4st4 Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 24, 2014
    Why are you so upset about it? You're in the spoiler section, again - what seems to be the problem?

And I'm sure those aren't exact words from call sheets.

sizziano likes this.
  6. City Councilman Binks

City Councilman Binks Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2014
    Does this have to do with the way he is reporting rumors or the fact that you don't like the rumors he is reporting?

Also, if Disney wants to draw attention away from all these rumors, the last thing they would ever want to do is shine a light on his website.

Also, is MSW playing Lando's son or does he play Ackbar's cousin in TFA?

7. DreamingGod

DreamingGod Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2015
    Oh, no. Spoiler/rumour section of a website with an anon source is posting their description of a description from a person. The horror! Everything is ruined now!

It's not worth their money, or time to shut it down. If they know they have a leak, and there's a problem, they wouldn't make a big scene, if anything would say 'This is what's happening' it's MSW going down on a cease and desist. That's about the quickest way to point out which source is right. If you don't like spoilers, don't look at them, or just realize these are... rumours, third-hand sources AT BEST. The game of telephone is, if nothing, inaccurate.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Back to the original question, why hasn't MSW been closed down? May be because what's been posted isn't accurate...never thought of that eh?;)

KSennia, Dak Oolron and Othini like this.
  9. star wars geek

Oct 20, 2014
    On the podcast - the exact quote:
    MSW has an official document - something belonging to Disney/Lucasfilm. Perhaps pages of the screenplay. I think that quote is enough grounds for Lucasfilm/Disney to go after MSW.

I'm just curious how certain sites can promote stuff and it's acceptable but other stuf isn't. Seems a fine line. For example, at what point do Disney/Lucasfilm let MSW continue posting claims/facts/rumors. Will MSW chance their luck and post the entire plot? It seems like MSW can do what it likes without any consequence.

10. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    they say they have "access", not that they have the documents.

11. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Look if Disney/Lucasfilm know what's been posted isn't true then why would they waste the time, money and effort for a piece of paper with a forged heading?

12. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    This. I believe there could be something in what you say. Also, a lot of this is still interpretation from the MSW guys, as we just heard on the last podcast. But if a whole script is being spoiled, as they indicate they could do soon, i think Disney will make some kind of statement at least. That would be a very interesting one.......

Django Fett likes this.
  13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The problem is for those of us who have been digging for bits and pieces is that not everyone we speak to is genuine, these people may have just happened on filming and expand what they know to make it seam like they were on the specific production of TFA. Myself and Jason had a situation last year when someone passed to him a rumour that I made up to catch that person out, Jason nearly posted it but thought it sounded fishy and I contacted him when I found out he'd been told the false rumour.

The chances are that we know less than 10% of the plot and most of what we think we know is speculation drawn up from clues given from filming locations, art work that more than likely has been thrown away after the idea's were dropped and of course these so called in-the-know people.

14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Disney absolutely has grounds to pursue MSW and find out how they got the document and who gave it to them. This is stolen property and MSW seems to be baiting them. Disney can at least find a court order for MSW to relay all email contacts and other contacts that involve this stolen material. Saying exactly what kind of documents were used to obtain this information is EXTREMELY dangerous.

Whether the information is or isn't completely accurate isn't as much the point as MSW claiming to have the call sheets or whatever they have. THAT'S the issue. Give Disney some time to gather their resources. This should be interesting. I feel bad for MSW if Disney turns up the heat. Disney has been known to throw law suits against school districts and individual teachers for showing their movies in classrooms the day before a holiday (They have eased up about that in the past few years). Imagine if some of their material was stolen. Geez! This isn't Lucas we are dealing with who was powerful enough.

IF nothing comes from it, it would be suggested that it is fabricated information.

15. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    I love White Knights, they're cute. [face_love]

16. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I would say Disney is watching MSW very closely. So if MSW ends up posting REALLY big spoilers (as it scenes from the script) then they will go after them.

17. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    MSW seen to know what they are doing. I highly doubt they will put themselves in a position to get sued.

18. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    By this logic Disney should cancel the movie since they are making something some fans don't want to see.

soul8luos likes this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The possible release of a full script will be the test for Disneys resolve on this. Personally if I was involved on the project I would be releasing all kinds of false rumours to try and put people off the scent, however some little nuggets of truth would be in there to gauge reaction maybe.

The same can be said about any film. You can't please everyone.

20. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    All the spoilers on MSW will only really be seen by people who are seeking them out as part of the enjoyment and anticipation of a new Star Wars film. There's no negative impact as a result, aside from occasional people deliberately trolling.
    Not sure why the OP has such a bee in their bonnet about it.

21. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    by this logic,
    why is Latino Review and Badass with all their Marvel scoops and spoilers still operational???[face_not_talking]

nightangel and Django Fett like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We are not a forum dedicated to the legalities of other websites. There are more productive ways to breach such topics within the context of our forums.

Dak Oolron and starocean90 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.