main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why hasn't MR made QGJ's saber yet???

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Master_Byrd, Sep 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Byrd

Master_Byrd Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2002
    I've just visited Master Replica's website. I was once again disappointed by the fact that I won't see a Qui Gon Jinn replica anytime soon...

I just don't understand why they're turning out so many Graflex replicas and Heiland replicas; they're the easiest to hand make. For about a hundred dollars, any fan could easily put together a Graflex saber... But if you look at Master Jinn's, that's one of the most complicated saber designs I've seen (next to Master Windu's from AOTC).

I was just wondering if anyone heard any rumors about it, or if you just want to voice your frustrations as well... here's the place! :D

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Good question, but I think it is a plain looking lightsaber; perhaps they just don't feel it is a popular choice at the moment.

Pity.

3. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    The toys made after it are very plain looking... But have you seen Larbel's? When I see the angle the grooves are cut in, I can't help but shutter at how much time it would take to make one in my dad's shop.

4. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Qui-Gon's saber is one of the coolest designs IMO. I don't know why they have to make Darth Vader ANH and ESB sabers, they could have made Qui-Gons instead of one.

5. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Not enough interest is all. All MR is concerned with is making a buck.

6. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    Very true. Their prices alone prove that. I don't even have to mention the 'accuracy' of the Anakin F/X lightsaber...

7. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    The Anakin FX is accurate, just the size is different so it can fit the batteries.

8. ANAKINOS

ANAKINOS Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 25, 2002
    I am fortunate enough to have a larbel qgj saber and it is awesome. Yes it would be cool if MR came out with a jinn lightsaber.

9. DanakinSkywalker

DanakinSkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2003
    The Anakin FX is accurate, just the size is different so it can fit the batteries.

Halfway true, the groove with the LEDs is on the wrong side. Unless the AOTC Visual Dictionary is innacurate too...

10. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    If you think that's bad, check out their new Luke ROTJ FX saber... Until I saw a pic I considered buying it. :D

11. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Yup - visual dictionary is wrong - and is also wrong on a lot of costumes and props.

I have a QGJ saber made by an independent saber maker - he modeled it after the Larbel version and I have to say it is plain but ellegent - not my favorite saber but it is a nice addition to my collection.

As far as MR is concerned - the almighty dollar wins in the end - and I think that is unfortunate for us true fans and collectors.....

Dave

12. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    So they are out to make a buck? They are a business. That's what Businesses do. It's like blaming a shark for biting. That's just what they do.

Maybe the QGJ would cost too much to make? Maybe they just haven?t been able to make an accurate enough version?

Someone should email MR and ask. If enough people are asking for it then well it may get made.

13. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Thats the thing Doright, people HAVE been. I'm not saying they shouldn't be out for a buck, but teh sabers loose alot of quality that way though.

They also come down on ANY saber maker who makes ANY saber. Sad really

14. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    You know the only reason I don't buy MR's?

They're too bloody shiny!!!! The real props are never that shiny and I don't like them like that,isn't anyone else like this?

15. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    I'll disagree on that one

The PT sabers have a decent shine to them.

The OT sabers look beat up and used.

There is something about getting a prop and having it be scratch free and shiny

16. JediMasterGuff

Jun 18, 2002
    Yeah, I saw the Luke and Obi-Wan OT sabers a few weeks ago and I liked them, but I saw Dooku and I really, really didnt like that.

I saw some pics of Obi-Wan PT's and Mace's and those looked too shiny aswell.

17. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    They would all be shiny when they were first built, anyway... It wouldn't be hard to weather one if you cared enough to lower it's value. I'm not blaming MR for wanting to make a profit. But $350 is quite expensive for a static hilt. When they mass produce those they can't cost anywhere near that much to make.

And it's not like they're any good to fight with for two reasons:

-They don't leave a 3/4" hole like Parks
    to install a blade in.

-They're so expensive you'd kill yourself
    if you happened to break something on it.

But hey I've never bought one. If I could scrape up the money for something like that, I'd put into my car, or computer. So, I guess someone will no doubt argue that I'm not a true fan for saying that.

18. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    see - I don't consider 1500 or even 2500 "mass produced". Just my opinion.

It is a limited run collectible - nothing more.

I would be happier if the made a seemingly unlimited supply of those sabers - this way us poor people could still buy them at a reasonable price.

Take the Luke ESB saber - they sell it for $350 - I know for a fact I could build that saber and make it more movie accurate for $150 tops.

Again - just my opinions

Dave

19. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    Personally the thing that bugs me about MR is the "limited" numbers.

Sabers sell out faster than a guy can save up for them.

I would have loved to get a Luke ROTJ but by the time I saved up enough they were sold out.

I just don't have that kind of money lying around. I see something like that I need to save up.

Does anyone know if they will do another run of the sabers they already did or is it a one time only deal?

20. lgtsbr

Nov 4, 2002
    as far as I know it is a 1 time shot.

Dave

21. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I sent MR an e-mail asking if they were planning on re-releasing the Obi-Wan TPM/AOTC design. They said that once a design has sold out, they do not make any more. Maybe for the 50th anniversary (if they are still around) they will re-release all of them, for a limited time of course.

22. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    So then a guys only choice is to pay triple on Ebay. [face_plain] Great.

Oh well. It's a bit much for a shelf piece anyway.

Paying that much for something like that I sure wouldn't want to carry it around at a con. If I loose my 20 dollar PVC saber I aint going to cry. :)

23. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    I'm putting together a AOTC Kenobi saber myself... If it turns out well, I'll send you some pics and maybe post a tutorial... Basically, I'm using the Dark Side Blueprint and some ideas from Project Nabooand BYB...

The main problem is the pommel, I'm going to have to go resin if the Rubies saber isn't to scale... If it is, I'll go to my local halloween shop and see if they have any left over. I plan to saw it off, then fill it with epoxy and BB's to add weight and (hopefully) durability. I will, of course, repaint the silver parts and use some of the stuff the Jango's are using to polish it. Sounds like a lot of work, but planning is 75% of the work.

24. Doright

Jun 10, 1999
    The Rubies saber is much larger than the actual prop. But if you don't mind your saber being a bit bigger then you could make it work.

25. Master_Byrd

Jul 23, 2002
    That sucks, I knew the Hasbro was much larger, but I haven't measured the Rubie's... Since it's a hardware saber maybe no one will care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.