main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why hide Luke?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by NakkyGraphics, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    HevyDevy wrote

I'm undecided on Obi-Wan's motivation in not helping Anakin after Anakin was dismembered.

Obi-Wan leaving him to burn I'm less certain about though. Conflicting sources say that either he couldn't bring himself to kill Anakin, or that he wasn't feeling merciful. Either way he seems to leave Vader's fate to the will of the force and gets out of there before the Emperor arrives.

I think he felt that Anakin deserved to burn in hell for what he did, and ultimately had brought this upon himself.

There was some poetic justice and Kenobi probably felt he shouldn't interfere what possibly seemed to be the will of the Force.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    No, he didn't leave it open to interpretation. He didn't show it because he was making a PG-13 film, not an NC-17 film. And while people are dumb in the world, they're not that dumb. That's why Lucas wrote Yoda saying that a Padawan was killed by a Lightsaber after we see a bunch being cornered by Vader with his saber ignited.

Not right. Anakin walks up to them and starts attacking them.

First off, Owen and Beru only had Luke. Second, Owen is not suspicious of Obi-wan. He doesn't want Luke to follow Obi-wan on a suicide mission like his stepbrother did, twenty years earlier. Anakin left Tatooine to fight in the Clone Wars and was killed. He doesn't want that to happen to Luke. Third, Obi-wan gives Luke the same choice to leave that Qui-gon gave Anakin.

QUI-GON: "Anakin, training to be a Jedi will not be a easy challenge. And if you succeed, it will be a hard life."

ANAKIN: "But it’s what I want. What I’ve always dreamed about. Can I go, Mom?!"

SHMI: "Anakin. This path has been placed for you. The choice is yours alone."

ANAKIN: "I want to go."

QUI-GON: "Then, pack your things. We haven’t much time."

OBI-WAN: "You must learn the ways of the Force if you’re to come with me to Alderaan."

LUKE: "Alderaan? I’m not going to Alderaan. I’ve got to go home. It’s late, I’m in for it as it is."

OBI-WAN: "I need your help, Luke. She needs your help. I’m getting too old for this sort of thing."

LUKE: "I can’t get involved! I’ve got work to do! It’s not that I like the Empire. I hate it! But there’s nothing I can do about it right now. It’s such a long way from here."

OBI-WAN: "That’s your uncle talking."

LUKE: "My uncle. How am I ever going to explain this?"

OBI-WAN: "Learn about the Force, Luke."

LUKE: "Look, I can take you as far as Anchorhead. You can get a transport there to Mos Eisley or wherever you’re going."

OBI-WAN: "You must do what you feel is right, of course."

As to the Stormtroopers killing the Lars, he didn't show it because it would ruin the suspense of finding them dead. Killed by the Empire after finding the Sandcrawler.

It wouldn't matter if Obi-wan was there or not, Padme would have figured it out in time and would try to leave him. Anakin already knew she'd never stay with him.

Obi-wan left him to burn because he couldn't bring himself to kill a helpless person, but couldn't let him live either.

The Sith and the Jedi are guilty of genocide against the other, because that is the only way the other side can survive. As to it being the will of the Force, no it is not. It is the result of Anakin going against the will of the Force and helping a Sith Lord to fulfill his revenge plan.

Lucas says otherwise.

3. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    The padawans have their weapons out as well. Anyways, the Clonetroopers are defending the good people of the republic against the Jedi who committed treason against.

Ben had no idea that the extra 15 would be paid when they reached Alderaan. Han's offer is 10000. Why would Ben come back with 17? It appears Old Ben had recently come across some money from a burnt homestead and was looking to get rid of it. Why else would you offer to pay an extra 7000 on top of 10000? It makes no sense.
    I was hoping for this response...
    That means Anakin and everything he did, was through the will of the force. Which enabled him to become one with the force when he died. If Anakin was so evil, there is no way he could achieve immortality through the force.
    I've said all along, everything Anakin did, (especially to the Jedi) did bring balance to the force. His immortality proves it.

4. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    PHIERY wrote

Ben had no idea that the extra 15 would be paid when they reached Alderaan. Han's offer is 10000. Why would Ben come back with 17? It appears Old Ben had recently come across some money from a burnt homestead and was looking to get rid of it. Why else would you offer to pay an extra 7000 on top of 10000? It makes no sense.

Owen didn't have the money. The dialogue during the dinner scene makes that pretty clear:

OWEN Harvest is when I need you the most.
    Only one more season. This year we'll
    make enough on the harvest so I'll
    be able to hire some more hands.

Han said "10,000 all in advance" which Kenobi did not have. Instead he raised it to 17,000, assured that Alderaan would pay Solo. Besides, it's never wise to pay all in advance, so Solo happily accepted a down payment with the rest coming up once his passengers had safely arrived on Alderaan.

Question remaining: Did Solo fulfill the bargain? "Passage to Alderaan" according to my legal understanding implies that the passengers do arrive on Alderaan which they never did. And I wonder how much he got paid for having rescued the princess (i.e. 17,000 + ?).

Iron_lord likes this.
  5. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Defending them against what? Even if Mace managed to kill Palpatine, the Jedi were just going to take control of the Senate temporarily to "ensure a peaceful transition." The most they would do is replace corrupt Senators with Jedi approved ones. They weren't putting anyone besides Palpatine's life at risk. Anakin believing the Jedi would kill innocent Senators is simply Anakin rationalising the price he is paying to save Padme's life. Lucas states in the commentary (during Anakin visiting Padme after the Temple raid) - "Anakin is lying to Padme. And as he is lying to Padme he is lying to himself."

Obi-Wan only has 2000 on him. He is offering an extra 15000 on arrival to give Han incentive to let him not pay "10000 all up front" as Han originally requested. It's a way of saying "I can't pay you the 10000 up front, but if you take just 2000 for now it will be worth your while." Notice Han gets rewarded for the flight to ex-Alderaan, and rescuing Leia from the Deathstar, on arrival at Yavin 4.

Anakin sacrifices his own life to end the Sith reign. This selfless act awakens in Anakin the Jedi he once was, before he pledged to Palpatine and sold his soul. Depending on what source you look at, either Obi-Wan's spirit taught Anakin the ability to retain consciousness on death as a reward for turning back, or the force just granted Anakin the ability in return for his sacrifice and perhaps his status having been created by the force. If he made the right decision to ensure Palpatine's control of the galaxy in ROTS, then what has he learned at the end of ROTJ? You could cheapen it by saying he is just overthrowing Palpatine to take his place, after all.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    They have their Lightsabers out because they're being shot at. What do you want them to do, use harsh language? And the Clonetroopers are serving a genocidal madman who lied about who he is and manipulated the war. The Clonetroopers have no choice as they're forced to serve a bad man against their will.

Yes, he did know, because Bail would pay Han's price.

It's to sweeten the deal. Han is hesitant to deal with Imperials, but offering him more than he's asking for is what cinches the deal. Han has enough to pay off Jabba, plus have extra. Owen and Beru do not have that much money, since they're poor moisture farmers.

He became a ghost for two reasons.

1. He rejected the dark side after all these years. He has finally accepted who he really is and found balance within himself. Once he did so, he brought balance by destroying the Sith. And he did so selflessly. He didn't think of himself, only for his son. His heart was filled with compassion, not greed.

2. Obi-wan and Yoda appeared to Anakin at the moment of his death and taught him how to retain his identity.

Luke verified what Han and Obi-wan had agreed to, both on Tatooine and in rescuing her. My guess was that it was probably up to twenty thousand. More than enough for Han.

KyleKartan likes this.
  7. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    The issue wasn't about not having the money. Owen was deliberately stalling because he didn't want Luke to run off with Ben. He gave Luke the same excuse the year before when Biggs and Tank left. Owen would have had plenty of money stashed away to compensate for any bad seasons as all farmers do.
    Ben had no idea that the Organa's would be able to pay the extra 15. Ben was up to no good. He didn't want to use any of his own money. He uses Luke's landspeeder money, then expects the Organa's to pay the rest of it. It seems Ben is tighter than a Dewback. How did Han fall for this in the first place? Han was swindled.
    Technically, Han didn't fulfill the bargain. But i'm sure the reward he got for saving the Princess, was more than enough compensation.

8. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    LEIA General Kenobi, years ago you served
    my father in the Clone Wars. Now he
    begs you to help him in his struggle
    against the Empire. I regret that I
    am unable to present my father's
    request to you in person, but my
    ship has fallen under attack and I'm
    afraid my mission to bring you to
    Alderaan has failed. I have placed
    information vital to the survival of
    the Rebellion into the memory systems
    of this R2 unit. My father will know
    how to retrieve it. You must see
    this droid safely delivered to him
    on Alderaan. This is our most
    desperate hour. Help me, Obi-Wan
    Kenobi, you're my only hope.

P.S. The Empire has left us literally with no budget to cover any expenses for your passage to Alderaan. So you have to come up for any travel expenses by yourself. We are broke, only when we destroy the Death Star will we be able to secure new funding and donations, then, we might be able to cover some of your expenses. Use the Force - and good luck!

;)

9. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Nowhere near what Han's price was and Owen just spent the money buying two droids to replace the one that broke down the day before.

Yes, Obi-wan knew that Bail would pay Han, because they're friends and it is Han who would help to deliver the Death Star plans to him. Thus Bail would pay the rest of the fee.

Actually, he did. He arrived at Alderaan and then went on to Yavin 4.

KyleKartan and Iron_lord like this.
  10. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    Why does Merlin hide Arthur?
    Why does Zeus allow Perseus (his son) to br raised by a fisherman?

In mythology, often times the Hero is orphaned and raised by good, humble, honorable common folk, to give an appearance that the Hero has gotten a good and pure upbringing.

In terms of in-universe, The Empire was looking for Obi Wan and not looking for Luke. If for whatever reason Obi Wan's cover was blown and the Empire came for him, the Empire still wouldn't find Luke as they aren't looking for him.

Leia was protected by the resources of an entire planet. There was no need for a Jedi protector. Luke had no such resources protecting him, so a Jedi protector was needed.

HevyDevy and Iron_lord like this.
  11. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    To me, Obi Wan's failure on Mustafar was foretold by his conversation with Yoda...

To me, that conversation is very important. From a story telling standpoint, the only reason to include the lines from Obi Wan about him not being able to kill Anakin is to foreshadow the events to come. So that when Obi Wan does leave Anakin on that lava bank, assuming he was burning to death, and not making 100% sure by finishing him, we can look back at the dialogue between Obi Wan and Yoda and answer the question as to why Obi Wan did what he did.

Tonyg likes this.
  12. PHIERY

Feb 7, 2009
    The Jedi would replace the Senators with ones that the Jedi approve of??? That right there is a dictatorship. The Jedi had no right whatsoever to attempt the overthrow of the Galactic Republic. Palpatine was elected Supreme Chancellor by the Galactic Senate - who were in turn elected by the beings of all the planets in the galaxy. Too bad for the Jedi that their bitter rival was elected to rule the galaxy. That's why when the Jedi commit their acts of treason, the republic approve of the Jedi to be defeated. If there is suspicion that Palpatine and other Senators maybe corrupt, there is always political procedure that takes place that'll bring justice. 4 Jedi masters representing the Jedi order just can't force their way in to the Supreme Chancellor's office with their weapons drawn, with only hearsay as their evidence. It would be the same as 4 policemen charging into the Oval Office in the white house and pointing their guns at President Obama. With their excuse being - they overheard their fellow colleague say Obama has committed crimes. Add to that all of these policemen are republicans looking to get rid of a democratic President. Just as the Jedi were looking to destroy a Sith leader.

Does Han get his reward for the flight to ex Alderaan? I know he gets a reward for rescuing the Princess.

Imo Vader saved his son and that is that. This action did inadvertently bring an end to the Sith reign because he killed Palps, and Vader happened to be unlucky when his suit was short circuited by lightning that wasn't aimed at him. I think Vader would have carried on his merry way as a Sith (hopefully with Luke by his side) if he didn't die.
    As for the whole Force Ghost thing.... If it were Obi-Wan and/or Yoda who taught Anakin/ Vader to remain one with the force. Or if it were the living force that allowed Anakin/Vader to retain consciousness upon death. Then I must ask everyone, why??? If in the eyes of Obi-Wan, Yoda, the Rebellion, the living force and everyone here who believes Anakin/Vader is guilty of so, so many terrible heinous acts that especially include Jedi and Younglings. Why would such evil be rewarded immortality? Why would Yoda and Obi-Wan teach him. Why would most people here forgive him for murdering so many innocent beings including Younglings? All because he picked up Palps and through him down a shaft? Wow, ok then.
    The way I see it and I have always said this. Everything Anakin did was through the will of the force as he is the chosen one. Everything he did, did bring balance to the force, that is why he was able to achieve immortality.

13. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    MACE WiNDU: What is it, Skywalker? We are in a hurry. We have just received word that Obi-Wan has destroyed General Grievous. We are on our way to make sure the Chancellor returns emergency powers back to the Senate.

MACE WiNDU: No. If what you told me is true, you will have gained my trust, but for now remain here.

PALPATINE: Master Windu. I take it General Grievous has been destroyed then. I must say, you're here sooner than expected.

MACE WINDU: In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor.

Hmm...Windu wanted to ensure that Palpatine returned his emergency powers, but would that not have been something to take place in the Senate Hall? And Windu does not provide an explanation why Palpatine should be under arrest.

PHIERY has a couple of points. While as the audience we know several things, from an in-universe and/or senate point of view the attempt to apprehend Palpatine had all the characteristics of an illegal action (and I'm certain Palpatine made good use of the footage in the Senate Hall).

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Good point.
    It is also one of the many saga role-reversal ironies, Luke will similarly tell Obi-Wan himself that he "can't kill (his) own father" in ROTJ. Only this time Luke, taking Obi-Wan's place as a Jedi with a close bond to Anakin, doesn't lose faith in his father and never abandons him until the very end.

I kind of expected you to say that. It is certainly a moral grey zone, the Jedi are perhaps overstepping their boundaries and deciding what is best for beings in the galaxy with some force , but their intentions are sound. Palpatine has got the Senate greedily looking out for themselves over really judging based on what is ultimately best for the people they represent. I think it shows by ANH that the Senate were giving up more than they realised when Palpatine declared the Empire.

The Republic doesn't realise Palpatine is selling them out by leading both sides of the war in the first place. Palpatine has basically framed the Jedi for being responsible for the war, and gradually influenced the Senate into seeing the Jedi as corrupt and as hinted in the AOTC script (the scene at the start where Padme addresses the Senate), not capable of protecting them.

Interesting analogy, but Palpatine had sewn his seeds deep in the galaxy, the Jedi know this from previous investigation. I definitely agree that Mace was far too hasty, his fear of the end of the galaxy's/Republic's/Jedi Order's peace and stability has clouded his judgement.

I'm not sure, I had just assumed his reward was for the mission generally.

I beg to differ, I think you are missing a key theme running over the six films.

TPM

SHMI: Son, my place is here, my future is here. It is time for you to let go.
    ANAKIN: I don't want things to change.
    SHMI: But you cannot stop the change, any more than you can stop the suns from setting.

AOTC

ANAKIN: I'm good at fixing things, always was. But I couldn't... Why'd she have to die? Why couldn't I save her? I know I could have.
    PADME: Sometimes there are things no one can fix.

ROTS

YODA: Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those who transform into the force. Mourn them do not, miss them do not.
    ANAKIN: He could actually... save people from death?
    PALPATINE: The dark side of the force is a pathway to many abilities, some consider to be unnatural.

Palpatine offers the only option Anakin is offered to actually "fix" his problem, the unnatural powers of the dark side, the inverse of his Jedi teachings to give up things that he wants for himself..

ANAKIN: I will do whatever you ask. Just help me save Padme's life. I can't live without her.

ROTJ

ANAKIN: Luke, help me take this mask off.
    LUKE: But you'll die.
    ANAKIN: Nothing can stop that now. Just once, let me look on you with my own eyes.
    ANAKIN: Now, go my son. Leave me.
    LUKE: No, I'll not leave you here, I've got to save you.
    ANAKIN: You already have Luke. You were right about me. Tell your sister... you were right.

Only at the end does Anakin learn to let go. Something the Jedi preached, but could never effectively instill in him before. He willingly gives up everything, including his own life to save his son and end the Emperor's tyrannical reign. He is doing what Shmi and Yoda had tried to teach him to do all those years before. This dialogue makes absolutely no sense if Vader would have continued on as a Sith had he lived.

Interesting, but I disagree. You have a point in that killing Palpatine doesn't even tip the scales. But that is more on the viewer to ask if Vader deserves redemption. The galaxy ultimately wouldn't be in ongoing conflict (now continuing into the ST) without Palpatine's influence.

Iron_lord, Ezon Pin and mikeximus like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    1. The Jedi would replace the senators that were in Palpatine's back pocket, but that would be the extent of it. And even then, it would mostly the Jedi doing strenuous background checks. The actual voting would be done by the numbers as normal. Once that was done, the Jedi would return control of the Senate back to the Senate and that would be that. The Senate and the new Chancellor would operate as they did under Valorum.

2. The Jedi could do that, given the way that they discussed it as a possibility. This was probably something that the Senate had given the Jedi in case something like this ever happened.

Yes, he did.

Vader became Anakin again, the good man that he once was. Had he lived, this would have happened....

[​IMG]

But he died trying to save his son and he died as a good man, thus destroying the Sith. The only way he would remain evil is if Luke turned and then killed Palpatine.

It's because the Jedi forgive Anakin for his crimes. They showed him compassion after he showed compassion for his son and atoned for his sins. They do not hold a grudge for all the evil that he did. That is the Jedi way. To forgive and show compassion. If Luke can overlook his father's crimes and see him as a man worth saving, then Yoda and Obi-wan who were trained from birth to be Jedi, can do no less. Whether other people can forgive Anakin for his crimes or not, is irrelevant. That has no bearing on what the Jedi do. Ackbar, Mon Mothma, Lando, Han, Chewie, Wedge and various others can hold a grudge against Vader for the rest of their lives if they want to. That is their right to do so. Remember, Han's final act was to touch his son's face after being fatally wounded by him. Han forgave Ben for what he did to him.

As Lucas said, Anakin cannot right all the wrongs that he committed. He doesn't get to because he dies. He can never make up for his sins. But he can atone for his sins. He can stop the horror and die a good man. It falls to Luke and Leia to make up for his crimes. That's one reason why Luke rebuilt the Jedi Order and why Leia continued to fight against the threat of the First Order, when a cause for concern manifested itself.

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Why do a lot of people think Sidious would kill the babies? At the time Yoda and Obi Wan were discussing what to do with them, they didn't know Vader survived the burning. With Vader dead, Sidious would want another apprentice. If he gets his hands on the babies, he would definitely raise and train them.

But even with Vader alive, there isn't much reason for Sidious to kill them either. To prevent them from teaming up with Vader in a coup once they grow up, he can set up their upbringing so that they feel closer to himself than Vader.
    Vader would only be allowed occasional visits (and when, say, he fails a mission, one of the punishments will be that he won’t be allowed to visit his children for a certain length of time), amongst other restrictions (e.g. visits are under surveillance to make sure Vader doesn't bad mouth Sidious to the kids, no gifts allowed, etc.).
    Sidious would raise them personally (well, he would get droids to do mundane tasks like feeding and changing diapers). He himself would be the one to tell them bedtime stories about Sith history, teach them the ways of the Force, reward them with death star toys when then make progress on their training etc.
    This way, they would likely grow up to be loyal helpers to Sidious. There's no reason Sidious wouldn't welcome this, especially with Vader being crippled.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    The whole point is that this is a purge of an entire group of beings that can be a threat to him. Anyone who could use the Force is a threat to him, even children and babies. This is why the Younglings were wiped out. Why Palpatine wanted the Holocron with the list of all the known potentials who weren't being trained. And why he tells Vader and the Inquisitors to eliminate the children of the Force. He's not even that keen on the Inquisitors and their subsequent deaths were a relief to him. And when Luke comes along, he tells Vader that the boy must die. It's only when Vader suggests turning him, that he decides to risk it, in order to have the most powerful Sith Lord alive.

KyleKartan likes this.
  18. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    Jedi Younglings are still Jedi, while babies can go either way. Killing them would be like discovering a huge oil reserve and immediately destroying it out of fear that the enemies (who have been decimated and are in hiding) will make use of it.

19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I have to agree with lord_sidious here. I haven't watched much of Rebels, but I know there's an episode of TCW where Sidious seeks out Force-sensitive infants with the intention of training them to be his servants. It's certainly plausible that this is the tack Sidious may have taken had he discovered Luke and Leia as babies. Either way, killing them or training them, it's a way of neutralizing the threat they could pose.

I think it's only once they get to be the age of the Younglings we see in Episode III that Sidious would start to consider them more of a liability than an asset. At that point, they've already formed ideals and allegiances that might prove hard for him to break. That's why Sidious's first instinct is to kill Luke once he becomes aware of his existence in TESB.

BlackRanger likes this.
  20. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    And Yoda is much the same in putting a premium on youth for potential Jedi trainees. When Luke goes to Dagobah on Obi-Wan's advice, Yoda complains that he is "too old to begin the training".

21. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    The way I understand it the Jedi used to take in kids at a very young age - long before they had the capacity to make decisions that would affect the rest of their lives. And to be honest with you it sounds like the life of a Jedi kind of sucks. I mean, you're a badass, help a lot of people, and live in a nice building, but your life is on the line all the time and it doesn't sound like you can ever have a boyfriend / girlfriend or indulge in many pleasures.

What's the difference?

Personally, I think Yoda and Obi-Wan should have taken another shot at Sidious and Vader instead of going into hiding. Surely they could have assassinated them at a vulnerable point without even having to engage them in a lightsaber duel. But if they did think that they were better off waiting on Luke and Leia and the freedom of the galaxy depended on it, then yeah, they should have trained them from a young age.

22. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The Jedi life only sucks if you think being selfless and devoting your entire life to helping others is some inherently torturous existence. And if any Jedi decide they don't want to be a Jedi when they grow up, they're perfectly free to leave, just like Dooku and nineteen others did. The vast majority don't, because they want to be Jedi. And yes, it's because they were taught to believe in certain values from the time they were children. You know, just like literally everyone ever.

The main reason Obi-Wan can't raise Luke is because he's a wanted man, a fugitive. He's a man living in isolation in the wilderness, surrounded by hostile natives. Presumably, he needs to go on periodic errands through the Jundland Wastes, across the Dune Sea, into the cantinas of Mos Eisely, etc., to seek information and replenish his supplies. If he were ever to be recognized, he'd be seized and his hut raided by the Empire. He's in absolutely no position to be raising a child. Luke needs to be raised in a safer and more stable environment. The Larses can provide that, just as the Jedi Temple used to provide such an environment for the Younglings being raised there.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  23. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Would you rather live the life of a virgin Navy SEAL who cannot have a family or would you rather use your talent to make bank and form more meaningful attachments?

Granted we're talking about a fictional universe in which basic human nature and reasoning don't necessarily apply. However, as young as those kids are when they are brought into the Jedi Order, it would be almost like a cult for them.

He could have taken Luke to Dagobah or some other planet that's more remote than Tatooine. Much better, I think, than leaving Luke Skywalker with Darth Vader's stepbrother on his home planet and not training him a lick until he's about 20.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  24. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Knight Templar. Not NAvy Seal. The latter are soldiers who take part in exclusively military operations. The Knight Templars began as keepers of the helpless: the pilgrims who traveled on Holly Land. Being a knight need sacrifice and in this case it includes the vows of celibacy. So yes it can be chosen and it was chosen. Of course, this is the real world example that Lucas represented in his world. There are things bigger than ordinary life with family and little house an so on. And these things have a price and someone are ready to pay it. At least Luke would have the choice to follow this path or not. The mistake of the Old Order is that they didn't, they were took as youngling (much younger even than Anakin) and never knew another life. So this is the other reason that Obi Wan didn't raise Luke. Actually is the same reason that Leia wasn't trained: is not that her abilities are weak (in OT can be seen that they are strong even as she is untrained at all). Luke and Leia had the chance to be raised in families, in safe place and to form attachments and to live let's say it more normal childhood. In Luke's case the environment was harsher than in Leia so he needed Obi Wan to be around. If the Jedi wanted for the twins to be trained then Yoda would take the girl: maybe in another remote but inhabited planet where he could recieve help to raise her and to train her. But they decided to let the children in real families and to wait till the time is right.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  25. Rachel_In_Red

May 12, 2013
    Because someone chose it (some people choose suicide and face tats, too) doesn't mean it makes sense for most people. Most people (most people, mind you) with talent would rather live it up or start a family than become a celibate warrior monk.

But the timing wasn't right in ANH, either. Luke was nowhere near powerful enough to take down Sidious. It was only because Vader caught him by surprise that Sidious was destroyed. If Luke had been trained from birth, maybe he would have been powerful enough to topple Vader and Sidious by his age in ROTJ.