main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Why Him ~*Vignette*~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Nikita, Apr 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    Title: Why Him
    Author: Nikita
    Timeframe: JA
    Characters: OC
    Genre: Vignette
    Keywords: character death, grief
    Summary: Tragedy strikes the Jedi Order in the worst possible way. This is the story of a Jedi Apprentice as they go through it.
    Notes: This is in memory of those 5 victims who died the fire in Columbus, Ohio, this morning. I knew one of them and want to send my prayers out to their families, esp. one in particular.

I don?t own the characters, sadly they are the property of George Lucas. I am merely borrowing them. Thanks!

~~~~~

Why Him

I was sitting in the hover car talking with Char as we went out to lunch, when my comm beeped. It was my Master. I answered, laughing at something Char had said. The moment will stay with me forever.

?Lin, I have bad news.?

My heart stopped. I didn?t breathe for a moment.

What had happened? Had my Master been hurt on her mission? Her voice did sound kind of weird.

?What happened? Are you hurt?? I asked, scared of her answer. She couldn?t be that hurt is she was calling me herself. Maybe it was Master Teva or her padawan, Petra. Nothing could have prepared me for what she said next.

?Obi-Wan died last night.?

Everything stopped.

Maybe this is some kind of sad belated April Fool?s joke. He can?t be dead. He?s one of my best friends.

?You?re joking right??

There was silence on the other end and then her voice floated back to me. I could hear the tears in her throat, trying to be hidden.

?No. Master Windu just called me and told me. There was a fire at a party he was at. Four other kids are dead.?

I heard Char gasp, but it was in the background. I could see Obi-Wan in my mind. He wasn?t dead. I can?t remember what I told my Master, just that I said something and then turned off my comm.

Char and I still met Dan at the restaurant. But all through out lunch I was acting on autopilot. Laugh at a joke, smile when not chewing. Swallow. Leave a tip.

Finally I was back in my room and free to let out my feelings.Tears instantly filled my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I knew if I did, then he would really be dead. I couldn?t imagine dying in a fire. It sounds like the worst thing in the world, being burned alive.

My Master was still in a Council debriefing and wouldn?t be home for a few more hours. So I called Bant. She answered the phone and right away I knew she hadn?t heard. I didn?t want to be the one to tell her. But I couldn?t let her go thinking everything was alright.

It was the hardest thing I?ve ever had to do. Tears were coursing down my face by the time I had uttered the sentence. We didn?t talk for long, we both wanted to get off the phone, it was too awkward.

I remembered later that it was Obi-Wan?s 21 birthday yesterday. The party had been in honor of his birthday. He died on his birthday.

I later found out that there had been alcohol at the party. The authorities ruled the cause as suspicious. Some thought it was because of an earlier fight and the guys who had fought came back and threw a fire bomb at the house. Some others think it was the arsonist that was running around the planet.

I think it was pointless. Why had this happened. Why him? Obi-Wan was loved by everyone. He had a great Master who loved him like a son. He was a senior Padawan who would be knighted in less than a year. He was a good student, excellent friend, and wonderful, caring person. Why him?

I?m sitting here in front of the holovid, watching the news. I?m watching the news, hoping to find out more, when my Master walks in. I stand there and she comes to me. She knows, she knows how I?m feeling. We?re both crying as we hug.

I know she?s scared of losing me. I?m two years younger than Obi-Wan, and this accident only goes to show that there are dangers out in the world, waiting to grab the young and innocent.

I left her alone in the room, and retreated to my room to grieve. I think I?m still in a semi-denial. Every news rep

2. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    :_| Sweet Force, Nikita, that was sad. And to know it comes from personal experince only makes it worst. Very good with the emotions and thoughts though, though I quess that isn't too hard to do. :( Why does everyone take it out on Obi anyway? Well done.

~Swede :)

3. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    As I found out recently, writing is a very good way to deal with real life issues. I'm glad you posted this. I hoped it helped you to deal with the loss. Very good.

Obi

4. C3SoloP0

C3SoloP0 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 10, 2002
    Oh man.....that was really sad....I can imagine being sad if I would have been Obi's friend....I really liked him in TPM...but not in AOTC......

5. Heather_Skywalker

Heather_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 13, 2002
    Wonderful job Nikita! How sad, too bad it was only a vignette. Really wonderful :)

6. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Oh my goodness... I don't actually have words to descibe this...

It's so good... so heartfelt... so sad

_PSK_

7. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    Swede~ Wow, you're one of my fav. people here at the boards! Thanks for reading!

Why does everyone take it out on Obi anyway?

Well... I did it cause he's so well loved by everyone here, and it made more of an impact. Made it more real?

But most of the time... [face_devil] I torture Obi for the heck of it!

Obi~ Thanks. It did help me deal with it in a positive way. I'm so happy that everyone here at the boards is welcoming towards stuff like this.

C3SoloP0~ Didn't like him in AOTC??! I admit his hair was a little bit... helmety... but give the guy a break... he's Master to the brat! :D

Heather~ Thanks! :) I'm glad you liked it that much!

Padme~ It was def. from the heart when I wrote it... It helped me deal...

8. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    Just wanted to up this once...

HAPPY EASTER!

9. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    I'll up this again... it needs to be read!

Happy Easter to you too :)

_PSK_

10. Just_Jill

Just_Jill Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Interesting parallel. Good way to work through things.

Just Jill

11. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    Padme~ Thanks for upping!

Jill~ Thanks, glad you enjoyed!

12. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    ah heck why not an up for old times sake...

13. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    It was a wonderful tribute, Nik. Sorry i never posted before now. Sharing is always a good way to grieve.

Reading this made me want to say this- I'm always here for you, Nik. You're one of my best friends, and i love ya like a sister (squabbling and all ;) ).

::Windstar Out::

14. Calayka_Bele

Calayka_Bele Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2000
    That was a wonderful tribute. You're going to make me cry! You captured the emotion very well.

~Cal

15. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    Bri~ Hey babes! Thanks for reading this little thing... and I know you'll always be there for me! That's what best friends are for.

Calayka~ Hey!!! Nice to see you! I'm always glad to have a new reader! This story was def. a major help in releasing my grief. I'm so glad that you were able to feel it! Not that I wanted you to be sad, but because it makes me feel like others care!! Thanks again!

16. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    :::sneaks in for a peak and decideds an up is in order:::

Up with you now!

17. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    *Sits with mouth hanging open* My god that was so sad! *wipes tears away* Great Job Nikita. :)

18. Nikita

Oct 14, 2001
    Renton~ Hey!!!! Thanks sooo much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.