main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why I am a racist.

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darrkwolff, Nov 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Oh, come on, man.

You're saying that if someone can't afford cable, satellite, the internet, or a newspaper subscription, they should just go to a doctor's office? Last time I checked you can't just hang around waiting rooms or hospitals. What if they can't afford to have a doctor? What if their local library is poorly staffed and maintained? Suppose they don't have time to go to a library and read the libraries copy of the newspaper inside the library? They go to McDonald's and scrounge coins off the floor to purchase a newspaper? So, they can only be informed when they happen to be going out for fast food?

If you really think that the only way that someone in America could be uninformed is if they tried to be that way, then I don't know what to say to you.

I too have lived in some of the poorer areas of this country and I have seen people who wanted to be informed, tried, but were unable to keep abreast of the issues.

2. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    There is no public place I have ever seen where there was not access to cable, statelite, or internet. Name me one person that doesn't have acess to any place where they could get acess to cable, satelite, or internet and I'll name him three places he can get them.

3. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    And I'll name you three people who are working two or three jobs in order to barely make enough money to raise a family, and who thus don't have the time to hang around public places to watch the news.

And for what it's worth, this discussion really isn't the most important reason why I believe there should be a Fairness Doctrine of some sort.

4. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Network TV is already pretty balanced. If you only have a radio, than there's NPR on one side and conservative talk on the other. Also, newspapers are cheap.

5. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    HA.

NPR and right-wing talk radio are on two completely different levels of integrity.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I'll grant I can see at least a basis for the claim when it comes to broadcast tv where there's limited airwaves to be handed out, but expanding it to cable or newspapers? I don't see at all how there's a basis there, as you've got to pay to get those anyway.

7. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I agree with you there. There really isn't much need to enforce such a doctrine on cable or newspapers, but I do believe there is at least some basis to support its application to broadcast.

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Which really is just meaning, like, 4 news channels where I live. All of which tend to have the same bias, on the whole, anyway.

9. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    The more applicable comparison would be Air America and conservative talk radio.

10. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I wish Darkwolff would post in this thread.

11. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    So do I. His first post still has me rolling with laughter.

12. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I figure the reason he's not posting is because he cribbed his OP from a forwarded email his grandma sent him, and now he's out of material.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.