main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why I Have A Good Feeling About EIII

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by First_Stage_Lensman, May 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. First_Stage_Lensman

First_Stage_Lensman Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2003
    I really feel that GL is moving in the right direction now. One indication are all the defectors: adios, boys!

Ben Burtt: he had to go. He was doing everything but playing a central character. His over-involvement really weakened AOTC, I feel. It's good that he's gone. He made his contribution, now his various protoges can pick up where he left off. Best of luck to a multi-talented guy but he really needed to leave the cramped SW camp and set up on his own somewhere.

Doug Chiang: I love his style. He really made the PT a special, new environment. On TPM. I can see why he left. An artist of his calibre is wasted on AOTC & EIII. He's basically refining his own and other people's work. And frankly, he's not that good at it. Chiang needs to have much more to do, far more freedom. Sub-reason: Eric Tiemens & Ryan church. GL doesn't need a raft of conceptual artists anymore. These guys know SW. They're the best thing to happen to this project since Ralph McQuarrie.

If you read the AOTC Cinifex issue there's some interesting stuff about GL doing away with job titles & ranks within the art & VFX departments. I think that's why alot of people left. But I think this is going to help SW. This sort of freedom will energize Lucas and provide him with a more fluid means of expression.

SW is limited in scope. That's part of the aesthetic concept. It's about variations on a set of themes not about extrapolation on those themes. EIII will probably be a huge disappointment to most SW fans but I think it's going to be a good, strong keystone to fit everything together.

My two cents.

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Has it been confirmed whether or not Ben Burtt is still doing sound design? :( There's been no sound designer named on the official site...

But I AM glad he's not editing.

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. First_Stage_Lensman

Feb 23, 2003
    Word on the street is that he's completely gone. 2 weeks notice. Bye bye Ranch.

4. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I have a good feeling because I've yet to be disappointed with a STAR WARS movie.

5. LordIsurus

LordIsurus Jedi Master star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Ben Burtt is gone? I had no idea about that! But thats certainly fine by me. Sound and editing are quite important. No matter how well something is directed or played out, it can be edited good or bad. But I did enjoy the first two prequals. If anything, I think I started being a nauseated hearing Mr Burtt re-iterating the ole "well, we felt it didn't move the story along, so we cut it" line for the cut-scenes. Now sure, you always hear that about cut scenes but errr...maybe I've watched the DVD too many times and hearing him say it over and over is whats nagging. Err...I should watch it again just to test that theory.

Ben certainly made some memorable sounds for the OT and some for the PT as well. But editing may not be his thing exactly.

I did hear of Doug not being involved in Epi3 as well. I certainly loved his design work and I imagine he'll move on to other great things.

But I too think it's a good move overall. Whatever reasons they're gone doesn't really matter. What matters is that at times some things fit and then sometimes they dont. Whats good is in recognizing it, either side, and doing whats right.

Isurus

6. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I have a good feeling because I've yet to be disappointed with a STAR WARS movie.

I beg you, for the sake of all that's good, not to watch the Holiday Special.

As for Burtt... as much as his sound design will be missed, and I'm sorry he quit (presumably in a hissy fit 'cause they wouldn't let him edit)... I think the movie would be better without him entirely than it would with his editing and sound design. I'm sorry it had to happen that way, but if I were Lucas and had to choose between 'let him do both' or 'lose him', with no middle ground, I'd let him go.

Let's just hope new editor Roger Barton does better than Burtt, and that we won't need too much in the way of new sound work for Episode III!

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    So is that info about Ben Burtt just rumor or is there some official confirmation?

8. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    I don't want Ben Burtt to be video editor, but I think he was a great sound editor/designer.

Shhhh! Adam is reaching his 8,000th post.

ALL HAIL ADAM!

PS- That's almost 8,000 cats 6 feet under! You animal abuser!

PPS- I just reached the big 160! ALL HAIL ME!

9. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Shhhh! Adam is reaching his 8,000th post.

ALL HAIL ADAM!

God help us all. :p

Why I Have A Good Feeling About EIII (thread title)

I have a bad feeling about this.

Sorry, SOMEONE had to say it.

Rick McCallum loves you!

10. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    Congratulations on 8,000!!!
    :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

It's so emotional!
    :_| :_| :_| :_| :_|

PS-Will somebody PLEASE think about the CATS?

BTW, how do you pronounce Bertocci?

11. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Ber-TAH-chee. Thanks for asking. ;)

Rick McCallum loves you!

12. Ultimate

Ultimate Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 14, 2000
    Burtt's definately not doing the final editing, but he has been assembling the pre-viz stuff and editing that much in the same manner he did for the Episode 2 pre-production. I'm not sure about the sound work though. Someone hasn't been announced in his place as doing it however.

Chiang is gone, at least as the head of the department. He got funding to do his project, Robota, and couldn't do both at the same time. He is however still submitting designs as a sort of part time team member, by his own admission.

I wouldn't listen to the stuff Moriarty and the others spewed in that Jedi Council thing on AICN, most of it was totally wrong or information they couldn't know.

13. ISD_Devastator

ISD_Devastator Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2002
    "but I think he was a great sound editor/designer."
    Yes, his sfx are great.
    But the editing..

14. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I just can't see Burtt not doing the sound design for the very last STAR WARS film ever. That'd be like Lucas letting someone else direct. It just ain't right!

15. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    So can someone some this up for me so i dont have to read all the posts (im lazy)

Is Ben involved at all?

16. Soothsayer

Soothsayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    That is really too bad if Ben is not involved at all since he has been with Star Wars since the beginning.

17. Goldfinger

Goldfinger Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2002
    Ep. III will do very well at the box office. It's the last StarWars so everyone will want to see it in theatres. It will reveal many secrets(hopefully). And most of all Lucas has said it will be the darkest starwars film, thats what audiences want these days(No more Disneyesque Ep. I type StarWars films).

18. First_Stage_Lensman

Feb 23, 2003
    There is nothing 'Disney' about TPM!

19. Nolimit_Veritas

Nolimit_Veritas Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2003
    at first i was disapointed about Hayden's performance in episode 2, but i realize that the reason i didnt like him was because of the awful lines he had to give for the love story and the story about his mother.

he was great during his disagreements with obi-wan

if he beefs it up he'll be great!

with the mooshy stuff out of the way i think hayden will do an excellent job. so im looking forward to the 3 installment of the Anakin trilogy....

but not looking forward to the end of starwars...

20. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Who says it has to end? It will live on the hearts of Star Wars fans for years to come!

21. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    As good as Chiang's work was, it was worlds apart from the old trilogy, and this film, more than the others, needs to complete the transition in style.

Ben Burtt may not be editing, but as others have pointed out, he may still be on board as sound designer. At this point, he's a tradition.

22. hew

hew Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 1999
    From a report posted today on the OS:

"Meanwhile, Ben Burtt is hard at work compiling computer-generated animatics from Dan Gregoire's pre-visualization team, footage from Australia of Hayden Christensen and other stunt doubles performing Nick Gillard's preliminary stunt choreography, scans of storyboards and artwork, some occasional stock footage and a soundtrack of Burtt himself performing dialog for all of the characters."

He won't be editing, but luckily he's still involved. His sound work on the films has been just as important as the visual effects work in defining the "feel" of Star Wars.

"That'd be like Lucas letting someone else direct. It just ain't right!" - Yeah, if Lucas let someone else direct we'd probably end up with films as bad as ESB and ROTJ. ;)

"If anything, I think I started being a nauseated hearing Mr Burtt re-iterating the ole "well, we felt it didn't move the story along, so we cut it" line for the cut-scenes. Now sure, you always hear that about cut scenes but errr...maybe I've watched the DVD too many times and hearing him say it over and over is whats nagging. Err...I should watch it again just to test that theory." - What else can he say, LI? This scene sucked so we trashed it...? [face_laugh]

23. CG-Realms

CG-Realms Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 21, 2000
    What else can he say, LI? This scene sucked so we trashed it...?
    Well, it'd wake you the hell up, wouldn't it?;)

24. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    LOL, on the UHF DVD, Weird Al is very candid about cut scenes. "We cut it because it sucked"... "This wasn't funny at all, what were we thinking..."

Sometimes he'll give a really sarcastic "OH BOY! HILARIOUS!" or somethin'...

Rick McCallum loves you!

25. doggans

doggans Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 31, 2002
    "We even had a scene...where I went TO THE BANK!! Didn't that just have you on the edge of your seats?!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.