main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Why I liked Rogue one more than The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by merdiolu, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. merdiolu

merdiolu Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2017
    Hi. There. I just rewatched Rogue One on DVD (already seen in theaters twice) and feeling it was much better than The Force Awakens or Prequel Trilogy , I tried to explain myself why and came up with a few reasons.

In Rogue One

-The content , the galactic civil war and its effects on people or characters were depicted in much more serious mature form. The good guys did not get everything good or rightous on their side and they do not always get moral high ground. Obviously Empire with its tyranny , dictatorship not to mention mass massacres were evil but Rebels also get pretty low from time to time to fight the war. (Cassian killing his informer , Sal Guerra's extreme methods to struggle against Empire , Rebel Alliance reluctence to steal plans from Scarif etc)

-Script editing , story progression and character development was handled in a much better relateble and believable style. In The Force Awakens main characters meet up first time and five minutes later under attack they suddenly became good friends and comrades flying space vessels they haven't seen before and trusting each other despite being complate strangers they were to each other. At the other hand in Rogue One main heroine Jyn was initially a survivor not caring freedom of galaxy etc (You do not see Imperial Banner if you do not look too high) she slowly changes her perspective after seeing message of her father. In same way Cassian Andor being cold professional operative hesistates to kill Galen then decides to help Jyn to steal plans of Death Star. (similar kind of plot character developments is also appearent in Episode IV A New Hope) Not original maybe but more relatable for audience. You see character development and their motivations develop step by step. Actors were better (I will take professionalism of Felicity Jones over Daisy Ridley anytime) but character material written was also better.

-From low level guerilla conflict in Jedha to final action sequence on Battle of Scarif , war and battle was handled as tough , brutal and decisive manner. When a character dies he/she dies. As a result Battle of Scarif and its outcome was tense and while not unpredicteble (we knew plans of death star would be sent to Rebels) , making audience wonder how Rogue One would accomplish their goal. At least for me tension was there. There were light moments and humour too especially from K2SO (preformed by Alan Tudyk) or Chirut but not childlike overwhelming comic relief attempts like Jar....(well you know who I will not mention his name)
    It was much more like a gallows humour in face of overwhelming odds.

-Shoutouts to original trilogy from style and aestetics of production to fan favorite characters like Leia , Tarkin , Bail Organa , C3PO and R2D2 etc.

I only wish Jyn , Cassian or K2SO survived at least. If they would have made a Rogue Two sequel I would definetely watch it.

TheReal_Rebel and Thom Skywalker like this.
  2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.