1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Adelaide (20th-22nd November), Brisbane (27th-29th November)

Oz Comic Con: Brisbane (19th-20th September), Sydney (26th-27th September)

FF:VIC Why I should....

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Jedi_Nat, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    ....move to Melbourne.

I've been thinking a lot lately of leaving little Perth, mostly for personal reasons, and moving to Brisbane. But after chatting with my mum the other day, she put in the suggestion of moving to Melbourne, mainly because my cousin lives in Melbourne that I really get along with.

Here you can put down reasons why I should join up with the Vic Fan Forces to sway my decision. I'm totally confused where I should go. Either way, I'm leaving Perth....
  2. lordvaderFF Jedi Master

star 4
    Lots of Star Wars fans in Melbourne to share your passions with.

The MCG (says it all really)

Great Cinemas

3. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Well I've been to Europe and Asia 5 times and I'm yet to find somewhere I'd like to live more than Melbourne.
  4. Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I've been to Buffalo State Pine three times and to the Mornington Peninsula a half-dozen and I can safely say both offer some of the most sensational weekend activities for the younger-set and young-at-heart alike to enjoy a top notch porterhouse with shiraz or simply a good honest day's chop.

Why live ANYWHERE else eh?
  5. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  6. lordvaderFF Jedi Master

star 4
    If you like hiking.....

Wilsons Prom
    The Grampians
    Hanging Rock

If you like swimming.....
    Pick a beach.

If you like women.....
    PICK A BEACH. :)
  7. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    :eek: I am not that type of person...
  8. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Ahhh Nat! So you're the little Perthite I heard might be moving over! Well, the boys have made some good cases fro the Town of Melbourne so I should do the same.

Now, Vic FF itself is just on its way to becoming social, though I'd be more than happy to organise a meet to welcome you should you decide to come here :)

As to what the city offers in itself: Much cheaper living than Sydney; better range of houses/flats in different areas, depending on what kind of lifestyle you lead. I've lived in Bundoora (a semi-industrial area mainly offering cheap accomodation to Uni students and the unemployed...although it isn't that bad...most of the time) and then went upmarket and lived in Carlton, which is your lovely little latte sipping, cafe breakfast, trendy inner city area. Then you have Fairfield/Westgarth/Alphington, which is a very young people, shabby chic, friendly rock and roll family area with decent pubs. Collingwood/Fitzroy which is alternative/ubertrendy/funky people living in terracehouses with artists and musos and well, it's one of my favourite places to hangout of a weekend but I wouldn't want to live there...I'd spend all my money on coffee and cowboy boots. There are some lovely shopping areas in town and the closer suburbs. Great cinemas, old and new alike as someone has already mentioned. There are plenty of opportunities to go out and see a new kind of band! Heaps upon heaps of bars pubs etc. The state library is gorgeous inside and its small garden area outside is always an avenue to learning and speaking about the issues of the world. We have trams (love to hate them) and a whole heap of activities on every bloody weekend. The alleyways are great. There's markets in summer...

Uhhm...what else do you want to know?
  9. Kartanym Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Nat, I think the MCG should be the only obvious conclusion ;) I mean come on, the gabba? pfft!
  10. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Feck we really do live in a damn fine city, nicely done Jess ;)
  11. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    What can I say? I love the place ;)
  12. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    SOLD!

Well, I must admit, a sociable fan force is better, than well, us WAFFERs. I've tried, but nothing much happens really.

Best to get in contact with my cousin, as she lives in Melbourne and possibly where I may live when I get there...
  13. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    I'm trying my best to organise this lot, so I'm sure we can rustle up some fun for you when you get here :)
  14. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, as long as they:

1. Post that they're coming, and

2. Actually turn up,

then you'll have more success than Kart's New Year's Eve party, amongst other things organised in the last six months.....
  15. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Eeek, yeah. I heard about that one [face_plain]

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for a miracle then :p Or that Boogie and Hawk are free ;) YOu just have to meet the Tyrants!
  16. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    We have a meet this Sunday, so cross fingers that there's a good turn-out. Then we have ROTS at Moonlight. I think I'll give up on meets after that.

Sorry, rephrase. I'll give up on WA meets, as I have a big UK meet happening in Sept, and then next year, who knows....
  17. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Why should you move to Melbourne?? Well, my wife & I are ex-Indian Ocean Pedestrians (still sandgropers at heart though - always) and have been living in Melbourne for almost 2 years now. It's great over here, I'm not a member of the FanForce but there is plenty of Star Wars over here. Its a great place really to indulge in my two greatest passions - Star Wars & Footy (Go the Eagles - premiers this year - I can feel it). You'll probably find - and a lot of West Australians over here agree - Perth & Melbourne aren't too dissimilar, Melbourne is just a lot bigger and more to do (better beaches in WA though). It's all here for you, from Kubrick at ACMI (closing soon) to coffee in Kilda. And if you ever do get a bit homesick you can always come down to the WA ex-pats pub to watch the Eagles throttle whoever they're playing (yes you know it's true!! : 0 ))
  18. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Eagles? Beat everyone they play? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I don't even think I want to start an arguement about it! :p
  19. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yep - that's right - except if it's a minor premiership, grand final or any other game that may be construed as a big occasion of course : )

Expect bigger things from them this year though - money in thy purse!!
  20. Jet-Eye Jedi Master

star 4
    Lol, the Eagles, what a rubbish team, they have no history, no culture, and not even one single place that they can call 'home'. Instead they threw a huge net over the entire West Coast of Australia and claimed it. Fremantle, now there's a team one can respect..
  21. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Rubbish team??? since 1987 (inaugural year) the Eagles have failed to make the finals in only 3 seasons, have played in 4 grand finals and won 2, gained the minor premiership twice and won 2 brownlow medals.

No history?? Ummm - lets see first interstate team that wasn't affiliated with any VFL side to enter the league, first interstate team to make the finals (in their inaugural year no less), first non-Victorian side to play in the Grand Final, first side to take the flag away from Victoria
    (OK maybe their history doesn't extend back to the late 19th century but their spirit is far from this corporatised giant that the Dockers would have you believe we are.)

No culture??? Ok the Dockers have got this image of the underdog etc - and they are because they just can't seem to get it together. The Eagles had the true spirit of the underdog for their first decade as they faced outrageous fees and travel expenses, no actual decent training facilities yet still made it to the finals (when it was still only the top 4) and won 2 premierships. That's the spirit that all us Eagles supporters love about our team. Not some adopted mantra & unproven ideology.

No home?? It's called the west coast, representing - the west coast - all of it not just some suburban cafe strip. The Eagles represent the great southern, the South West, the wheatbelt and of course where West Aussie football all started - the Goldfields (I know that's a little further inland than the coast but a lot of our original players came from there)

Fremantle/respect - best joke I've heard in a while : 0 )

Anyway, I think this may have gone off topic! Star Wars Rules!!!
  22. Dean1138 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Dammit - got to stop talking footy, just makes me wish the season was here already!

javascript:fnMarkupFace('laugh');javascript:fnMarkupFace('cry'); << (this is supposed to be a crying animated face)

How do you get those faces to come up?javascript:fnMarkupFace('laugh'); << (this is supposed to be a happy animated face)
  23. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm at home here already :)
  24. PulsarSkate Ex-Mod

star 7
    Glad to hear it! :D

So what are the plans for getting over here? Any dates or ideas?
  25. Jedi_Nat Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm looking at Jan next year. I'm going on a big holiday in Aug and Sept, and when I get back, we're doing up my house to sell it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.