main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why I think TFA is going to resonate with a lot of young people (and do very well)

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Puke-Jaywalker, Apr 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    You don't get to play the victim here. The passive aggressive trolling now ends.

2. KenW

KenW Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 25, 2015
    That's not trolling, you're just misunderstanding what I'm saying. I'm not saying every black soldier in every film is an example of propaganda. There is a way to portray soldiers of all/any color or gender in a way that's not propaganda. I'm just saying its a possibility. That's my opinion. Possibly it will be, possibly it won't. I would not at all be surprised either way. This is on topic, because the topic is about whether or not the movie will resonate with young people based on race and gender portrayals. It may or may not, and I'm giving my opinions as to why it may or may not. This is all about predicting public perception. That's all.

Discussing the possible resonance of the film with the youth based on the portrayals of the characters and their races and genders is the topic I'm discussing, and the topic the OP brought up. Giving reasons why it may not resonate is not dragging things off topic at all.

3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Ok. Back on track here. I think this discussion does speak to the powerful influence of films. I'm really stoked that this variety of cast will help more of my fellow fans have a deeper connection with the franchise. It has really excited me to see some of these other folks get so excited about this diversity. Very encouraging imo.

4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    SW traditionally has been good, clean movies.

This allows parents to let young ones view the movies without need of censoring.

I guess that Vader, Maul and Greivous could be considered scary and labeled as frightening images but other than that there isn't much at all to censor.

Let's hope TFA stays with that tradition:
    • "Clean" fighting sequences - no bloody, gory violence (except for the occasional appendage dismemberment which are w\o blood and gore)
    • No cursing
    • very very little profanity \ use of 4 letter words
    • No sexual content
    • No nudity
    I plan on taking my children to watch TFA.
    "May the Force be with us"

5. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015
    As a black teen, I'm so happy that JB is going to be in this. For the longest time I was afraid to tell people that I loved Star Wars because they assume I like 'black films' with Madea or something of that sort. A ton of my friends like Star Wars too, and this surprised me because I thought only white people were allowed to like Star Wars. With my brother John Boyega in the newest film, I can finally like Star Wars publicly.

6. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    [face_tee_hee]

• "Clean" fighting sequences - no bloody, gory violence (except for the occasional appendage dismemberment which are w\o blood and gore)
    • [​IMG]

• No cursing
    • Obi Wan says "damn" in ANH: "He was afraid you'd follow me on some damned fool idealistic crusade."
    • very very little profanity \ use of 4 letter words
    • [​IMG]
    • No sexual content
    • This is the outcome of it. [face_tee_hee]
    • [​IMG]
    • No nudity
    [​IMG]

Andy Wylde and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    'Damn' is a swear word? ***** ********* ****** would you **** **** ********* **** believe it?

8. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yes it is. :)

9. Thiazzi

Thiazzi Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 27, 2015

Lol I remember when TCW movie came out in 2008 I thought Ahsoka was black. I kept saying that she was for like two years until someone told me she was an alien and orange with blue eyes. It's obvious to me now, but kid me wanted to believe that a black girl existed in the SW universe so bad.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's important for young people to be able to reject the pop culture iconography of their parents and grandparents. That's a central tenet of youth culture: clearing creative space for yourself separate from older generations. Taking direct aim at the anxiety of influence.

That's why TFA is going to be a flop with people under the age of 25. TFA's marketing has signaled too loudly and too incessantly that the movie belongs to an older generation: the boomers and gen xers. The people who grew up with the OT and were already starting to have kids when the PT came out.

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, just like how kids these days are rejecting Paul McCartney.

12. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Why, that sounds like the theme of a certain saga... ;)

But to respond to your notion that TFA won't succeed with younger generations... I disagree. Star Wars has stayed alive since our last saga film 10 years ago, just like it did between ROTJ and TPM through the Expanded Universe, toys, games, and Special Editions. The Star Wars shelf at toy stores has never gone away. Now we have a generation whose Star Wars is The Clone Wars and Rebels, primed for new content, who will probably be old enough to appreciate the darker themes of the new Saga films. It's a pop culture mainstay and unstoppable merchandise machine. It can't die! Star Wars is forever!

But what do I know? I'm just a millennial born after the OT... :D

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  13. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002

Why I am I only able to like this once???!

14. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

I totally agree, kinda like Lord of the Rings which came out in 1978 - if they made those films today there is no chance they'd be successful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(1978_film)

I mean they are based on a book that is from 1937?!!!

EHT and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002

I actually think that's one of the great things about Ahsoka, she really is a character anyone can look at and see a representation of themselves if they choose to... which is a strange concept considering she's an orange alien girl but you only have to look at the cosplay community to see how diverse the fans portraying her are.

Paul McCartney needs to learn how to reject Paul McCartney, listening to him now is painful.

Artoo-Dion and LANDO_ROCKS like this.
  16. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Where did this thread come from? I saw it, figured it was new, read the first page and thought how silly the idea of a "young single woman" is considered a minority, and was going to say something provocative followed by IBTL.

But that was last year and this is 15 pages long. Where the? What the? [face_dunno]

17. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    Wow, I don't even know where to go with this. How are you so far caught up into race that Boyega's existence allows you to publicly like this film, especially when your friends dig the franchise? I mean, it is awesome that you now feel like you can relate but dang, I hope that your social situation improves.

Good luck, friend!

Thiazzi likes this.
  18. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Reading your posts as Mace Windu actually wrote them works like a charm.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Are you white by any chance?

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    ROFL, one should at least make some kind of sense, even if trolling is by nature nonsensical. But now this thread has 2 silly trolls, the "putting minorities into Star Wars is a government conspiracy" troll, and the "kids hate Star Wars but love Paul McCartney" troll.

Funny thing is, there is a big worldwide Toys R Us event taking place in the US and several other countries where they are opening at midnight to premiere TFA toys:
    http://theforce.net/story/front/Toy..._Returns_Friday_September_4th_2015_165188.asp

I want to protest! Where is the toy release kids REALLY want- the release of the Paul McCartney action figure! [face_laugh]

21. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In fairness, I doubt they're expecting the toys bought at midnight to be going to children.

22. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    I am. I just never knew that the black community had Star Wars fans that were too afraid to be open about it because of the color of their skin.

23. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002

I think it's very hard to understand cultural differences from the outside looking in.

24. TheBBP

Nov 6, 2012
    It absolutely is. It just struck me as very strange that anyone regardless of skin color would be afraid to like Star Wars. Not saying that I don't believe you, I just cannot fathom it. Does the black community think lowly of Billy D and Sam Jackson for starring in them?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    It should be obvious to anyone that a new Star Wars film will do huge business, despite any possible negative reviews or bad press. It's a new Star Wars film, for crying out loud. Look how badly Episode 1 got slammed back in '99 - I don't think I read one positive review of the film. However, despite this it stayed in theaters for much of Summer '99, left the theater briefly, and then got a short re-release back to theaters in December '99....I mean, this film was HUGE back in the day. Episode II & III did great business as well.

I do think young folks will flock to TFA. They had their parents & in many cases their grandparents who have talked to them about SW for years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.