main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why I think Vadar saved the day in Return of the Jedi.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by FelineForce, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FelineForce

FelineForce Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004
    In a New Hope seeing how the first Death Star was Destroyed and how the Empire Srikes back so hard I would think that the Empire could do it again very easy if the Rebels just destroyed the Death Star but not the Emperor.Mon Mothma even said in Jedi that most important is that the Emperor is actually at the Death Star. Seems like killing the Emperor is way more important then just destroying the Death Star.

Now let's say when the Emperor was killing Luke that Vadar just let him. Well I think the Emperor would have been able to figure out the Death Star is about to blow up and me and Vadar better get out of here. When Luke was trying to drag the wounded Vadar to the Emperor's ship you could see other members of the Empire running and wanting to get out.

So if the second Death Star was Destroyed With the Emperor and Vadar they could Strike Back again, and I think they could have done so very soon.Leia would be the only hope left. But Vadar and the Emperor would allready know about her, plus no one could train her like Ben and Yoda trained Luke. I am sure Leia would be a threat to the Emperor and Vadar but I think they could deal with her. Unless if the Emperor tried to torture Leia and this time Vadar would step in. But if he would not do it for Luke why would he do it for Leia ?

Anakin said that Luke saved him. Could Leia have done the same thing if Luke failed ? Well maybe she could have who knows ? But it would seem that if Luke could not do it how could Leia since she was not trained like Luke was ? I know Leia was very powerful but I don't know if she could have saved Anakin and the Alliance and the Galaxy without being trained really ? But I don't know maybe she could ?

But anyways we know this did not happen. Vadar did destroy the Emperor when he was tormenting Luke. I was just offering my ideas as to why I think Darth Vadar saved the Galaxy in a way. Of course I do give Luke Credit :) > Also of course destroying the Death Star was important. I don't know what in the Galaxy would have happen if the Death Star was not destroyed and there was no Emperor or Vadar ? Would the Empire still survive ? Who would run the Empire ?

Now these are just my ideas that I have. I am not saying anything for sure because I am not sure. I am only offering my opinions or what I think. O and I yes have heard about some Admiral Thrawn ( If I spelled his name correct ) years later bringing the Empire back or something. I was just saying if the Emperor and Vadar died but the Death Star was not Destroyed what would have happend to the Empire right then at that time ?

O by the way I am new to the Board also :) Plus I was not sure what I should call my title. So it may not make complete sense to everyone ? I do know that Luke also saved the day and saved Vadar and since the Rebels where able to destroy the Death Star that it helped. I was just trying to explain what I felt the best way I knew how. So I hope I made sense ? :)

2. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    FelineForce, Vader IS supposed to save the day. Its his mandate as the CHOSEN one. I dun want to be rude but I think everyone already knows that Vader is the hero.

3. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Seems like killing the Emperor is way more important then just destroying the Death Star.
    Very much so. Cut off the head and the body dies.

It'd probably be a good idea for you to check out the Welcome New Users forum. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine will help you get used to how the JC works and help you find your way around :)

4. kenji1126

kenji1126 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    VADER saved the day because it was his destiny simple as that he was destined to bring balanace to the force and he did he destroyed sidous and then he him self died thus bringing about the end of the sith

5. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The Emperor was the Empire. He arranged his system of government in such a way as to pit his officers and advisors against each other, since he seemed to think he would rule forever. Because of this, there was no way the Empire could've held up after his death, look how quickly the strategy of the space battle of Endor falls apart once he's dead.

6. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    I really like how every character was crucial in the battle of Endor:

Han
    Leia
    Chewie
    Lando
    Wedge
    R2
    3PO
    Ewoks

But if it wasn't for Luke and Anakin, the Emperor would surely have survived, and it wouldn't have been the final victory.

7. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Speaking of the DS. If they start building it in EPIII it's like 18 years before EP4, right? How long does it take to build a DS? Did it take them say 15 years?, and when did they start building the second one? Which they obviously never completed or did actually, it was just made to look unfinished, was that DS a backup plan? How do they pay the workers or are they slaves?, or did the Geonosins build the DS?, since they made the plans?, and they're instect like and build those huge comb mountains. They're fast workers I figure.

Yeah I can't think of another moment in a movie theater that was more emotional than Vader throwing Palpatine in that hole. I mean the crowd I was with broke into a huge applause, everyone was cheering. I almost started crying. It was weird to see Vader do something good after having been so cold like and so evil. It was overwhelming and you just start screaming in your mind, yes save your son! go Vader! yes! You're awesome for doing that. After that I felt sorry for him. I mean I had always hated him and now I felt so bad for him. He still did care. It's just a great moment in movies and makes ya forgive Lucas for the Ewoks

8. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Lucas always returns to something he originally wanted to do, but couldn't do at the time.

9. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    ^^ Don't post spoilers here please. There are a lot of people who come here because they want to talk Star Wars but are trying to avoid spoiling themselves for the last ep.

Thank you. :)

10. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    "Cut off the head and the body dies"

Too bad that idea isn't working in Iraq.

11. FelineForce

Apr 16, 2004
    Well I think it's not working in Iraq because Saddam I don't think started the Dictatorship. Had he not come to power I am sure some other ruthless one would have. But to cut him off does help. But this case in Iraq was not like the Empire where it was basically started by one man called Palpatine.

Anyways I am surprised everyone agreed with me. Lot's of people I actually talk to assumed that it was not Vadar killing the Emporer that saved the day but it was when the Death Star Blew up. I don't recall people clapping when I was 6 years old in the Cinema. But after all that was a while ago and plus we did not see movies when they came right out.

This might sound strange but I always look at Vadar as a good guy. That is basically because The Return of the Jedi was really the first one I saw where it seemed to me the whole point was for him to turn good. So to me since he became good in the end I just figured he was good and some of my older friends thought I was nuts for saying he was a good guy :) I had not seen the Empire or New Hope yet.

I actually saw them Backwards I saw Jedi first in Cinema then Empire my dad or mom rented then later I saw a New Hope on Tv. I know that is pretty odd but it's just the way it was for me. Now I pretty much know just how Evil Vadar is in most of the Trilogy. But since I looked at him as a good guy in Jedi and saw that movie first I will always sorta look at him as a good guy in a way, crazy I know but just the way it is :)

12. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Well, FelineForce, Vader is a good guy at the begining of the SW story and eventually at the end of RoTJ. :D So no, your idea isn't crazy at all. It's very true.

Anakin started off well, as Ben told Luke. The dark side enticed him and he became Vader-whom we all know and still love from the old trilogy movies. :cool:
    Of course, thanks to Luke's belief in Anakin and the "little bit of his father" that remained in Vader, Anakin saw the light. He realised what he was doing and put things right again.

I think it's the complexity of Vader's character that is so interesting. How he started out, his journey, what he became and how he came back to being Anakin Skywalker.

13. FelineForce

Apr 16, 2004
    Ahh Blaine imagine you posting here :) Cool :) Yes one of the reasons why I like Star Wars so much was the whole idea of the enemy being the hero's Father and even Leia's Father's and Luke and Leia finding out they are twins. It just makes it all interesting.

Not to mention Han Solo who seemed to be only concered with money and saving his neck at first who then joins the Rebals helps Luke blow up the first Death Star, falls in love with Leai and then becomes a General to knock off the shield for Lando who was another one that one might be shocked to find Lando joining the Rebals.

Sure the fighting and the special effects, the danger suspense for the Rebals with the Death Star is very cool also. But unlike some people I do like the story. Some people think the story is awful, but that is there opinion :) But I like the idea of the force and Luke's Father who was once so good becoming his worst enemy so he thinks until the end.

Actually in the book Return of the Jedi it said Luke at last finds out what he hated it was not Darth Vadar or even the Emperor himself but the Darkness in them. I have skimmed the books and have an Abriged copy on Cd, but I have ordered the whole set on Hardback from Booksamillion and this time I am going to read it word for word :) I am curious Darth Vadar turned back, what about Dark Helmet from Spaceballs will he ever turn back :) ?! Assuming Dark Helmet was ever good to start with :) ?!

14. Plo_Koen

Plo_Koen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Maybe it would have been better if it was made visual that Vader and Luke were crucial in the destruction of the Emperor.

I imagine a scene where imperial officers try to contact Palpatine to warn him that he should evacuate, but he doesn't get the message because he's away from his chair, electrocuting Luke...

15. Eccentrica

Eccentrica Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 2, 2004
    I really wish people would give Luke a bit more credit...

16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    Hey FelineForce. :D

...whole idea of the enemy being the hero's Father and even Leia's Father's and Luke and Leia finding out they are twins. It just makes it all interesting.

Definitely. :) I think that concept has been used in other films but SW was probably the first film in which I saw it. And I was 12 I think so it was a case of "oh my..." and "wow" all together. ;)
    The idea of the hero and the enemy being so closely tied...flesh and blood and all that.

But I like the idea of the force and Luke's Father who was once so good becoming his worst enemy so he thinks until the end.

The fact that the SW saga is about the redemption of Anakin does indeed make it worthwhile. :cool: In a way we get our happy ending because Anakin found his way back.
    Plus, I get all soppy about endings like that and I loved the ending in RoTJ. :_|

Oh the books...yes, I've read the trilogy. :D I got myself the SW omnibus (all 3 Classic Trilogy novelisations in 1) Whoo! 8-}

I really wish people would give Luke a bit more credit...

I certainly do Eccentrica :) He is the one who was so determined to get his father back. Anakin may not have found his way back if it wasn't for Luke's efforts.
    I find it amazing how he insisted that there was still some good left in his father. He felt it but Obi-Wan didn't.

Perhaps it wasn't just "Anakin's goodness". Perhaps it was Luke's faith in his father and his belief that it just was possible that he could get his father back. [face_love]

*sigh* Makes me feel all mushy. [face_love]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.