main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Ahsoka assigned to Anakin? (Movie Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Robimus, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Just watching the Clone Wars Movie on DVD and something kinda jumped out at me. Why did Ahsoka get assigned to Anakin really?

Obi-Wan and Yoda have a little discussion about the situation where Obi Wan asks Yoda if he thinks Anakin is ready for an apprentice. Yoda's response is:

"Ready to train an apprentice he is, to let go of his pupil a greater challenge it will be. Master this he must."

My head is always swirling with conspiracy theories and the like 8-} so forgive my strange questioning of Obi and Yoda's motives.......

Why would Anakin be worried about letting go of his 13 year old Padawan? Wouldn't he be training her for the next 4-6 years at least. It jusy seems a little strange of Yoda to make this statement at the time he does.

It makes it seem like Ahsoka is meerly some sort of test for Anakin, someone who he will be forced to let go of at some point?

Yoda could be simply looking to the future, thinking of when the time does come for Ahsoka's promotion to Jedi Knight I guess. Though for some reason I don't imagine Anakin having any problems watching his Padawan get promoted, esspecially after he was so bitter about not getting his own promotions. That wouldn't really be considered letting go would it?

Is this some plan by the Jedi Council to help Anakin deal with his attachment issues? Is some plan in place to remove Ahsoka from his guildance at some point, or does the plan somehow revolve around something less forward?

I doubt that the Jedi Order is rooting for Ahsoka to die or something that untoward, at least I hope they're not, yet a nagging feeling has me wondering if this isn't the outcome Yoda is forseeing or hinting at.........[face_thinking]

2. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    The Jedi Order certainly isn't rooting for Ahsoka to die. As flawed as they may be, they would never wish that.

It's a test for Anakin. They think/hope he is the Chosen One, and they seem to be paralyzed, thinking that only he can defeat the Sith.

So the test is (a) to help him train a Padawan so that he himself matures, but then (b) once his Padawan is fully trained, for Anakin to be able to let Ahsoka go without worrying about her all the time.

Makes sense to me.

3. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    I gotta agree plus from a military view point Obi-wan, the more logical choice, has too much on his plate Commanding the entire Third Systems Army(made up of the 7th Sky Corp) plus Obi-wan has at least two fighter squadrons under his overall command, Red Squadron directly under him, and Gold under Anakin. Obi-wan is a Theatre Commander he commands all the Republic troops within a certain area of the Outer Rim with the Help of Commander Cody who is a Clone Marshall . Anakin is a subordinate commander in charge of the 501st Legion and Gold Squadron. Basically, Obi-wan is a Major General with entire Corps to Command while Anakin is a Brigader General with commanding two smaller Elite units. Obi-wan couldn't possibly give a Padawan the right amount of instruction and attention with a war going on. Anakin could.

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Ultimately Ahsoka is assigned to Anakin to teach him responsibility and to tone down his recklessness.

It's also to help him grow as a Jedi so that it isn't always about him. It's part of being a Jedi, and now that he is no longer a Padawan, it's time to set him up with passing his knowledge on. Jedi are needed all throughout the galaxy, they don't have time to waste.

5. Obi-Mcfly

Obi-Mcfly Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2008
    I definitely think he was assigned Ahsoka to help with become more responsible, and mature, but I think the core reason was to help him get over his attachment problem. We know he wasn't able to handle losing his mother, and Yoda probably at least knows how much pian it casue Anakin (Yoda sensed Anakin's pain when his mother died). Also, Anakin has been with
    Obi-Wan ever since he got to the Temple, and even after Anakin was promoted to Knight they were still always around each other. Then there's Qui-Gon and Padme, whom Anakin hadn't known very long, but immediatley formed an close atachment too. The guy has issues with letting people go, and I think that's why Ahsoka was assigned to him.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it definitely seems like the Jedi are trying to train/teach Anakin how to let go of attachments.

7. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    And what if he couldn't let her go? What then? They can't just get rid of him -- especially if he is the choosen one destined to bring down the Sith once and for all.

And with all these thoughts in his head it's no wonder he didn't get a big ego. And if he did kill the Sith he would probably consider himself unstoppable and then they would have an even bigger problem on their hands.

Man, it must have sucked to be Yoda, Mace and the rest...

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I think the point is Anakin would have no choice but to let her go- once her training is complete, she'd have to move on to her own Knighthood. Sure, she might buddy around with Anakin like Anakin does with Obi-Wan, but eventually they;'d have to spend less time around each other; unless he held her back from completing her training, which i don't think he would given his belief Obi-Wan was doing that to him in AOTC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.