main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Why is cultural appropriation a thing?

Discussion in 'Community' started by poor yorick, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I mean, that in particular is not unique to New Zealand. In my own childhood, I remember local Native American tribes coming to demonstrate some of their dances, and teach them to local primary school children. I don't think the question is so much about "willingness" to share. Rather, it's about the larger culture's willingness to let whatever group is in question have control over the process, and dictate what is in and out of bounds. Afterwards, it's about remaining respectful to the cultural practice as shared or taught, instead of learning respectfully at one moment and then mocking or commodifying in the next.

harpua likes this.
  2. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Yes I agree with that.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think this is pretty broadly The Point.

Jaypee spoke of how Maori culture is, in New Zealand, integral to the NZ identity (so it's not White NZ and Maori NZ; it's just NZ) and a source of pride.

Maori traditions are NZ traditions, and anyone who mocks it mocks NZ, in other words.

Australia - and I have a reasonable suspicion based on what I've read and what harps has said, America too - does not respect its indigenous people. It does not welcome them into public discourse.

(Wocky, can we just take it as a given going forward that when I personally refer to America's indigenous population I also mean African Americans; and I do this because socio-economically the African-American population has more in common with a disenfranchised indigenous minority than a migrant diaspora, despite not being indigenous the Americas?)

So... can we stop it? I mean, we being white idiots, can always elect not to be ignorant but if the fundamentals are rooted in the respect, reverence and knowledge enough to know something's not to be appropriated and here's why then we need to examine the way in which certain cultures are treated, yeah? We don't have a problem with integrating cultures to our multicultural framework, so... why are indigenous people different?

Do we just take something like a war bonnet or stylised boomerang and thing "it's not that important, silly savage?"

I'm genuinely unsure because I don't see a lot of appropriation here (we dislike aborigines too much to bother :()

4. Twelve3Feven

Twelve3Feven Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2016
    [​IMG]

Even though Bomani and I have beefed on twitter in the past... Respect for this.

dp4m and Gamiel like this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    It is getting better (very slowly), though. Some states get it. Mine, for instance, just did away with Columbus Day, and declared the date Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Not sure what you mean by "public discourse" though.

6. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    Is "beefing on Twitter" similar to sexting?

Darth Punk and Ender Sai like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh um -

25 of NZ's MPs identify as Maori. Their parliament is I think 120 or 121 seats. So it's a little over 20% of their elected officials are Maori.

We've had... 5 in total. Like, over time. Three of the five serve now. 2 from the conservative Liberal Party, 1 from Labor. Three others identify some indigenous heritage but don't identify as indigenous.

America's had a few over time, but right now, there are 2 serving if I'm reading correctly.

Now of course the American model is a bit different because of the republican model vs bicameral parliamentary model under constitutional monarchy. But I guess what I mean is, when you have 15% of the population as indigenous, more than that percentage in elected office, and identification of Maori culture as NZ culture, you tend to have many more mechanisms for making sure key issues are addressed, respect is afforded etc.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just want to point out that the stereotype for people coming from Caucasus is black hair, not blond :-B

:p

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Caucasian" is a pseudo-scientific term for white people based upon outdated (see: racist) anthropological theories.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, that satire is undone by its use of a term which is not strictly speaking correct!

Thanks, Darth This Guy:

[​IMG]

Darth Punk likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So what do you call people from Caucasus?

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Caucasians.

See, this is why racism doesn't work!

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Redeemed it.

14. Twelve3Feven

Twelve3Feven Jedi Youngling

Apr 5, 2016
    Indians.

15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Besides, he's not white, he's yellow. FYI, the Simpsons is a cartoon, not world news

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I came here to post this image (and was beaten to it) but I think the caricature is supposed to be Trump, so I'm okay with it! :p

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Is that supposed to be Trump or Richie Rich?

18. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    FTFY

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I...uh...played this once. In my defense it was with some Jewish friends.

21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

"I have black friends!"

22. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I'd rather not read it. Anything with college kids, alcohol, nazis and the holocaust can't be good.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    were you in the attic, with the anne frank cup?

24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

I knew as soon as I posted that it came off like that. But they did suggest it!

DarthTunick and dp4m like this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    To be fair, I understand the concept as someone would just say "Oh, it's not any worse than Cards Against Humanity and those cards there..." but it is. Not only are there very key differences there, but there's also both the iconography involved, the appropriation of an important symbol of the shoah (Anne Frank), and the fact that you're supposed to say as horrible things as possible to make it funny (which is the only comparable thing to CAH).

I wasn't actually offended, just giving you crap! ;)