main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Edwards so popular?

Discussion in 'Archive: Fresno, CA' started by donsolo, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donsolo

donsolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 3, 2004
    I just don't get it... am I the only one here not planning on going to Edwards for the midnight showing? It makes no sense to me - Signature has lower prices, more comfortable seating, bigger theaters with bigger screens, and higher quality sound systems. While I may be a bit biased (seeing as I work there) those are still facts! It doesn't make sense to me...

It's weird though, you guys mentioned that Edwards has at least 3 screens sold out already, right? Last I checked, Sigy was still selling for screen 1.

What's the deal?

2. Bladion

Bladion Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    I, personally, would have picked Signature because it's closer to my home, but everyone else in our group voted for Edwards, so that's where we're going.

3. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I guess mostly because it's in a popular part of town. I personally am looking forward to being amongst so many Star Wars fans.

4. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    We saw AOTC at Signature for the midnight showing. It was alright. We saw all the LOTR midnight showings at Edwards and that was really fun! It seemed to be the happening place as far as number of fans and costumes. So I just wanted to go to Edwards for ROTS. I like the atmosphere better.

Signature's atmosphere makes me sad.

-AnakinsLuv

Come join my line party at Edwards!! [face_dancing] Click here for the thread.

5. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    at edwards there is more of a crowd because there is more than just a movie theater there... plus at signature there is nothing to look at besides a parking lot and a freeway, and starbucks...

6. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    blarb... friggin crowds. lol I should have figured that as the reasoning - and signature's not exactly in the best part of town, neh? So yeah, I can see how the fan gathering for the midnight showing has more effect than actual quality of presentation. I'd have to agree... I may end up in line with y'all over at the bad theater :oops:

7. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I'm not a resident of Fresno, but as an out-of-towner who comes to Fresno, there is never a trip taken that we don't stop by River Park. There's quite a bit more in one place to do.

When we were in line for the 6 hours for AOTC, we were able to rotate people in our group out of line to go and get drinks, cookies, food, etc without hesitation. If I recall, there isn't that much around Signature, is there?

8. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    not much... we got a cruddy mall and a Starbucks + Panda Express in the parking lot, but not too much else.

9. DarksiderGeorge

DarksiderGeorge Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 29, 2002
    Well then, Don Solo, its seems youve answered your question!! [face_laugh]

10. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    yeah, makes sense now :p

11. AmazingDM

AmazingDM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2001
    I HATE signature theaters

first of all, it's in a bad part of town, scummy kinda crowd usually too IMO.

well second and the big thing lol, their thing on the top of the theater looks like a penis

third they're waaay too expensive especially for concessions

and forth just not great theaters

i'd rather drive out to broadway fair if that place is still there

edwards rocks

12. DarksiderGeorge

Apr 29, 2002
    Edwards is a great theater, dont get me wrong, but for EpII they had really CRAPPY climate control! Who can remember all of us sweating our asses off in there??? [face_laugh]

13. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    yeah, it's in a bad part of town and has a more ...um... ghetto customer base, but that's because it's cheaper. Tickets and concessions are cheaper and until recently, higher quality that Edwards. Now we get the sucky Regal stuff like the rest of the places in town. I hate our concesion stand though... it flat out sucks.

I never thouht of the spire thing as a wang before, and I'm kinda woried now that you mention it LOL

but as for the theater/sound quality, Sigy is certifiably better - onlt one in Fresno hat had the THX rating, wider aisles and more comfortable seats... but hey- liek I said - I'm probably a little biased :p

I haven't been to Broadway Fair in a few years... I hadly remember it!

14. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    Who can remember all of us sweating our asses off in there??? [face_laugh]

Dude, I'm sweating right now, just thinking about it! [face_beatup] [face_beatup]

15. DarksiderGeorge

Apr 29, 2002
    What was the temp like in there last night???

16. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    hmm... I thought I posted in here.

Midnight screening was OK... not cool, not warm either. Of course, I was sitting still... there were a few fat guys jiggling around in their seats bitching about it being too hot, but even with the AC on it's highest settingit can't fully compete with 250 excited bodies. a manager came in fom time to time before the show started to open the back door to get some air circulating... but those guys still wouldn't shut up. the rest seemed fine with it.

Tonight however, was different. Felt like frikin mustafar in there with maybe only 2/3rds to 3/4ths full seating. They failed me (but at least they let us in free)

17. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Quick Question regarding the Edwards...is it Digital? I heard a rumor it was, and would be worth the trip(s) to Fresno just to see RotS instead of heading down to LA.

18. Darth_Necronus

Darth_Necronus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    Edwards has digital capability, but it still uses film. For several reasons. Right now film is cheaper and everyone in the buisness know how you use it and work with it. Digital is still a new technology as far as movies go. George Lucas is again pioneering a new film process.

19. Master--Kenobi

Master--Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2003
    Man, I was sooo hoping that they were using the digital there. Got to see about 20 min of digital from RotS at CIII during Rick's presentation. The difference is night and day!! Ok, looks like there will be a trip to LA to see it in digital. Hey thanks for the info.

Master K

20. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    Apparently, the CLoves Towne Center is difital... or so I've heard. but yeah... none of the Fresno theaters show digital movies right now :(

21. Darth_Necronus

Darth_Necronus Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    As far as I know the closest Digital theater to Fresno is in San Fran. There is alos one in LA. I know that the Clovis Center has Digital Sound (SDDS), but I am not sure if they have Digital Film Projectors. Alot of theaters now a days us a Digital projector for that crap before the preview (The Tewenty, and stuff).

22. donsolo

Jul 3, 2004
    oh... ok. if that's what they meant by CTC being a digital theater, then so is Signature (and Edwards too I beleive)

...all the projectors at Sig have DTS (Dolby Digital) and all have their own L6 projectors for the twenty... but those things suck. They were add ons and don't correctly fill the screens anywhere. Stupid Regal.

23. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    Here is the list of DLP theaters in cali.

click here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.