main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is EU hated so much in the Movies forums?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ArtMaul, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Most movie "fans" that I know don't Hate EU

All "Completists" are movie fans. Unless you mean "Purists".

Actually, most I see do hate the EU. But until a poll is done, I guess I can't say.

we just don't have this false idea that GL has something to do with EU. GL doesn't have much (if anything) to do with EU

Lucas...

- guided the plot of Shadows of the Empire and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, both of which are the only adult novels to happen during the OT timeframe.
    - provided information on Palpatine and Darth Maul to Luceno and Reeves, although he let them have their own spin on the character's motivations and goals.
    - provided Tom Veitch and Kevin Anderson with information on the Sith, suggesting they make Exar Kun one of the Order.
    - worked with Jim Luceno, giving him the AotC script to make references, cameos and story seeds for Episode II
    - worked with Alan Dean Foster, giving him the Episode II script to create the prequel novel to AotC
    - worked with the creators of Marvel comics in the late 70's to guide the storyline of Han, Luke and Leia's adventures
    - worked with the writers of the Droids cartoon. The primary writer, Ben Burtt, would later reference the planets of Boonta and Bogden in the PT
    - used Tim Zahn's creation of the word "Coruscant" for the city planet of the movies
    - used the term "Rodian" for Greedo's species, originally coined by Troy Denning
    - used the SOTE creation of the Outrider for ANH:SE
    - uses the Brian Daley Han Solo Adventure's term of "swoop" in the movies

This is just all I can think of off the top of my head.

the Sith History has been changed, Boba Fetts history has been changed, the Colours a Corialian Jedi wear have been changed.

One thing that hasn't changed is misinformation. [face_plain]

2. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    GL changed his mind.There aren't contradictions between the EU and the movies because Lucas is not involved in the EU,but because he kust changed his mind

Han solo used to be the one who shot first in the catina scene in ANH.Now it's Greedo.

Are the old versions of the movie wrong because Lucas had no input in them?Are EU sources that say Greedo shot first wrong because Lucas had no input in them?No.

3. bobabooie

bobabooie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    - guided the plot of Shadows of the Empire and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, both of which are the only adult novels to happen during the OT timeframe. - If by guided you mean say whats ok and whats not. Splinter was susposed to be Episode 2 - GL had very little to do with that story.

- provided information on Palpatine and Darth Maul to Luceno and Reeves, although he let them have their own spin on the character's motivations and goals. - GL had NOTHING to do with Mauls background.

- provided Tom Veitch and Kevin Anderson with information on the Sith,suggesting they make Exar Kun one of the Order. - KJA got the name "Sith" from the 1977 Star wars novel. GL's (the real) Sith history is only 2000 years.

- worked with Jim Luceno, giving him the AotC script to make references, cameos and story seeds for Episode II- Yes, thiskinda stuff he cares about because it is coming around the time of the movie.

- worked with the creators of Marvel comics in the late 70's to guide the storyline of Han, Luke and Leia's adventures - no he didn't, its just kinda weird (to everyone concerned) that Marvel played up Leia and Hans romance, but GL hasnothing to do with it and didn't even know he was going to make Luke and Leia twins at the time.

- used Tim Zahn's creation of the word "Coruscant" for the city planet of the movies - Zahn tooks GL's idea for the city planet and created Coursant, GL has nothing to do with the name, it was Alderaan and another planet (go to Starwarz.com for the orginal scripts)

- used the SOTE creation of the Outrider for ANH:SE - that would be the guys in ILM, GL didn't make/tell them to do it.

- uses the Brian Daley Han Solo Adventure's term of "swoop" in the movies - I've never heard the word "swoop" in a movie.

4. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    - provided Tom Veitch and Kevin Anderson with information on the Sith,suggesting they make Exar Kun one of the Order. - KJA got the name "Sith" from the 1977 Star wars novel. GL's (the real) Sith history is only 2000 years.

I'll respond with another quote from Star Wars Galaxy Magazine # 8, Summer 1996 (Thanks to Sturm Antilles for tracking it down):

The villain of Jedi Academy was planned as the spirit of a long-dead Dark Jedi. Anderson and Veitch bounced the story idea off Lucasfilm, and George Lucas suggested they turn the character into a Dark Lord of the Sith.

'We said, 'Okay, what's that?' We recieved reams of background on it, and from there developed this nasty bad guy, Exar Kun.'

'To write this series, we would have to get into who exactly were the Sith', adds Veitch. 'This was territory that had been previously off-limits. But we were permitted to draw up lists of concepts and ideas and submit them to Lucas for consideration. His replies formed the basis of our plotting'.

BTW, the above list only includes things that Lucas added to the EU. He also changed things by rejecting some ideas. Did you know that Joruus C'baoth was originally a clone of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

5. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "- used the SOTE creation of the Outrider for ANH:SE - that would be the guys in ILM, GL didn't make/tell them to do it. :"

Actually,the Outrider is mentioned in the updated script.Something like"The camera pans over an imense spaceport .The Outrider flies over"

6. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    "Sorry you don't like the framework of the Sith and the Dark Jedi, but that background came directly to us from George Lucas. We're following his guidelines and building a story within the parameters he himself laid down."

That's what Dark Horse told a fan that didn't like how the Sith were presented in TotJ.

7. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    The Sith "had been extinct for a millennium."

This clearly means that there were Sith going back beyond a milennium. For the Jedi Order to have known about them, the sith must have been a force to be reckoned with.

And as to where KJA got the name . . . PPOR.

I shall have to ask Genghis to post about GL's involvement with the marvel comics.

8. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    GL Had little to do with SotM's ?LOLWhere do you think the idea of a Force enhancing crystal came from?GL invented the Kaiburr crystal.It's called the Kybur crystal in the early drafts of SWs.

He may not have been involved wit the story,but he was still had major involvement in SotM'sE nontheless. :p
    \\

9. Matthew Trias

Sep 8, 1999
    GL also told Veitch and Anderson how to portray the ancient Jedi in TotJ according to one of the SWs AJs.

He told them what their training should be like,etc. etc.

10. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Star Wars: The Annotated Screenplays

p. 89

"Luke risked his life to bring back the 'Kiber Cystal.'"

p. 77

"Two Sith Lords are walking near the crystal chamber, and one of them says he felt a disturbance. Eventually Ben reaches the chamber and find the 'Kiber Crystal' on a pedastal in the middle of the room."

11. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    [image=http://www.eklectia.com/Images/star_wars/lightsabers/doubleBlade.jpg]

12. LtKettch

LtKettch Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2000
    I hope from my posts you guys don't think I totally hate the EU. I just don't look at it as being on the same level as the films.

On the other hand, you guys have inspired me to go back to some of the EU I like, such as the Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing series, Tales From the Mos Eisley Cantina, Tales From Jabba's Palace, Tales of the Empire, and Tales of the New Republic.

13. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    That's among the best of the EU, LtKettch.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Bobabooie,

You quite simply have no idea what you're talking about. [face_plain] GAW, sorry I got around here so late.

On Lucas and Marvel:
    • Star Wars #1, July 1977, Marvel Comics
      The Story Behind Star Wars - The Movie and the Comic Mag
      by Roy Thomas

"It started slowly, this Star Wars project. Both for George Lucas and even for Marvel Comics. It's a couple of years now since I met George Lucas... We met, shared a dinner and a few anecdotes and that was it.
      Or so it seemed.

For, a few months later, a friend of George Lucas' looked me up. His name was Charlie Lippencott, and he was (for lack of a better term, he said) media director of George Lucas' new film, Star Wars, about which I knew nothing but the name.

Fairly understandable, since at that statge filming ahdn't even been started. Charlie informed me, after a spaghetti dinner and some more swapped anecdotes, that he and George would like Marvel Comics in general and me in particular to handle the comic book adaptation of Star Wars..."
    • Star Wars #1, July 1977, Marvel Comics
      Marvel Bullpen Bulletins (Archie Goodwin, Ed.)"ITEM! To emphasize what Stan was saying in the Soapbox about the House of Ideas zooming along, let's kick off this column with a few words about another new title we're springing on you this month... STAR WARS!
      If that sounds familiar, it might be because we've plugged it a bit in the past, but a much better bet is that you've been hearing about the multi-million dollar, super science-fiction film from Twentieth Century Fox upon which our comic is based. STAR WARS is an epic of the far-flung future where intergalactic war and intrigue ruin rampant... To do it justice in graphic story format, Mr. Lucas and company handpicked Marvel for the awesome adaptation task, singling out Rascally Roy Thomas as writer/editor and Wholesome Howard Chaykin as artist..."
    • Birth of Non-Movie Canon (OR Dispelling the Big Green Bunny Hatred Myth)
      Star Wars #6, Dec. 1977 Marvel Comics"...And yes, as heralded at the end of this issue's wind-up of the film story, just 30 days from now Thomas and Chaykin will be carrying on the story of our Star Warriors, into new areas not covered by the movie itself. It came about this way:
      George Lucas himself, of course, had had plans for more than one 'Star Wars' film ever since its inception several years ago. In fact, there exist several earlier screenplays under the name 'Star Wars' which bear almost no resemblence whatever to the film as it eventually emerged, and Roy was given these to scan to see if there was anything that could be turned into a comic-book Star Wars #7 and beyond. While the screenplays are fascinating, they seem if anything to occur in the months and years before the movie itself, and we're pretty certain that it's really the likes of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Chewbaaca, the droids Artoo and Threepio, that everyone wants to see more of.
      Accordingly, Roy got together for lunch in Hollywood the other day with George Lucas (as well as amiable Mark Hamill, who plays Luke in the movie) to discuss the direction he and Howie would take the trip. Messrs. Thomas and Chaykin had already plotted #7 and set the direction for an issue or two beyond, but they wanted to be sure that their own scheme of things did not conflict with future plans of George himself, who oversees the movies, books, and other priceless items which'll be emanating from the Star Wars Corporation in the months to come.
      Fortunately for all (since we labor always in the shadow of the Dreaded Deadline Doom), George was enthusiastic about what Roy and Howie had done, and the other directions he suggested for the trip were nearly identical to what our writer/artist team wanted to do anyway. )Which, perhaps is natural is only natural since Roy and Howie have been two of the movie's biggest boosters since long before the film was even completed, let alone released!)
      Thus, beginning next issue, yo

15. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Let me adress some of your points, Bobabooie :

- guided the plot of Shadows of the Empire and Splinter of the Mind's Eye, both of which are the only adult novels to happen during the OT timeframe. - If by guided you mean say whats ok and whats not. Splinter was susposed to be Episode 2 - GL had very little to do with that story.

- worked with Jim Luceno, giving him the AotC script to make references, cameos and story seeds for Episode II- Yes, thiskinda stuff he cares about because it is coming around the time of the movie.

What you're saying here is that he didn't care when EPIV, V, and VI came out and do not care anymore about them right now. Splinter of the Mind's Eye came around the the time of the movie, which, following your logic, implied that George cared. But you first said he didn't. Anyone else see a blatant contradiction here ? You sure must respect the man a lot if you think that way... [face_mischief]

- used Tim Zahn's creation of the word "Coruscant" for the city planet of the movies - Zahn tooks GL's idea for the city planet and created Coursant, GL has nothing to do with the name, it was Alderaan and another planet (go to Starwarz.com for the orginal scripts)

And you just contradict yourself again. You say : "GL has nothing to do with the name". But he used it in the movie. If he really didn't care about the name, he wouldn't have used it in the movie. But he choose to use the name created by Timothy Zahn. Not a name of his own.

- used the SOTE creation of the Outrider for ANH:SE - that would be the guys in ILM, GL didn't make/tell them to do it.

Oh... Yeah. I'm sure you were there when the decision was taken... Of course, I wasn't there either, but I seem to remember George said in an interview he decided to put it there. I'm not sure, though.

16. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    If by guided you mean say whats ok and whats not. Splinter was susposed to be Episode 2 - GL had very little to do with that story.

Lucas told Foster to base the story on a mist-shrouded swamp world, so that if it was shot as a Star Wars sequel, it could be kept under budget. He also nixed a space battle in the beginning of the story, because he was unsure if a limited budget could afford to create the shots.

GL had NOTHING to do with Mauls background.

Uh, Lucas created Maul.

KJA got the name "Sith" from the 1977 Star wars novel. GL's (the real) Sith history is only 2000 years.

More wrongos. Dev provided the exact quote. That's direct involvement by George Lucas. This is why parallels between the movie Sith and the ancient Sith in the comics can be made - because they fit together, as shown in the Essential Chronology.

no he didn't, its just kinda weird (to everyone concerned) that Marvel played up Leia and Hans romance, but GL hasnothing to do with it and didn't even know he was going to make Luke and Leia twins at the time.

Genghis provided you with direct quotes. Lucas had direct involvement with Marvel comics, especially during the early stories.

Zahn tooks GL's idea for the city planet and created Coursant, GL has nothing to do with the name, it was Alderaan and another planet (go to Starwarz.com for the orginal scripts)

StarWars.com databank says, under Behind the Scenes...

"Author Timothy Zahn gave Coruscant its name in his 1991 novel, Heir to the Empire. When it came time to finally unveil the galactic capital on the big screen in the revamped ending of the Return of the Jedi Special Edition release, Lucas adopted the name Coruscant."

Lucas created the planet, Zahn created the name. As I previously said.

Bull. Lucas approves everything, and it was his idea to add it. Doug Chiang just does the art.

I've never heard the word "swoop" in a movie.

Lucas uses the word several times in the making of the SE movies. "Sith" was never heard in the OT, yet the term still existed.

I hope from my posts you guys don't think I totally hate the EU. I just don't look at it as being on the same level as the films.

Kettch, we understand. You are a informed Purist. Take my suggestion and have a gander at Cloak of Deception for PT literature. Maybe that will cure your aftertaste of Rogue Planet. For many, it enhanced the political situation seen in TPM, because it expanded on the Trade Federation, Palpatine, Sidious and Valorum.

17. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    Like many posters on this thread, I'll not make any pronouncement that "EU is canon" or "EU absolutely sucks". I'm partial to Kyle Katarn and I, Jedi, but as I understand, the reason EU is so reviled in the Movie community is two-fold.

Firstly, much of the Expanded Universe undermines the movies or introduces tired old plot elements (how many times have we read about the aliens that Came From Beyond the Outer Rim!) [Kwenn will understand], and puts the old characters out to pasture in favor of new ones. Who's ever heard of these places, people, events, or things mentioned in the movies so far?

"Spaarti Cylinder"
    "Z-95"
    "Praxeum"
    "Jorus C'Boath"
    "Force aura"

Granted, we still have two more movies left, but I don't think these terms will be mentioned. Try these instead.

"Kamino"
    "Jedi Starfighter"
    "Jedi Temple"
    "Sly Moore"
    "Midichlorians"

Finally, the main reason that the Expanded Universe is disliked is the overblown character, the man with estrogen in the top half, the character-that-must-come-to-no-harm-in-the-NJO-even-though-other-female-heroines-must-lose-their-children-and-have-their-head-shaved, Mara Jade.

Now, I'm not saying that Mara Jade is the only overexaggerated character in the Expanded Universe; merely she is the most obvious example.

Authors know about the trap of the Marty/Mary Sue [I had trouble with that in A Return to Arms] - an invincible, extremely attractive hero(ine) whom the author would want to bed or want to be. The idea for the original Mara character had merit, and it made for enjoyable reading for a while, but over the years, this character has metamorphosed into a large, hulking example of the Mary Sue.

Physical Prowess - She can survive a fight with 10 Yuuzhan Vong! Other Jedi of seemingly comparable skill (Leia) are mauled by one Vong, and she nearly loses her legs.

Physical Attractiveness - See one of the 9.99 x 10 (99) Mara fansites for more information.

Other Attributes - Mara is Force sensitive! She's very skilled at whatever else needs fixing or assistance!

Awards, Accolades, and Connections - The Emperor's Hand; executor of his will throughout the galaxy. His assasin. His evil collaborator. One then wonders why Palpatine needed Darth Vader in the first place.

ql

18. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    Like many posters on this thread, I'll not make any pronouncement that "EU is canon" or "EU absolutely sucks". I'm partial to Kyle Katarn and I, Jedi, but as I understand, the reason EU is so reviled in the Movie community is two-fold.

One thing I have noticed is that there has never been any (that I have seen) threads in Lit that go out of their way to slag the movies, and yet in the Episode II Spoilers board, there is the on-going Exploited Universe thread, (damn funny stuff that, but you get my point).

Firstly, much of the Expanded Universe undermines the movies or introduces tired old plot elements (how many times have we read about the aliens that Came From Beyond the Outer Rim!) [Kwenn will understand], and puts the old characters out to pasture in favor of new ones.

Tired plot elements? A New Hope is based off 'The Hidden Fortress' and 'The Dam Busters'. There is very little original in the movies as far as stories are concerned.

As for putting characters out to pasture, well, no one lives forever. How long can they write about the same characters? New blood means new stories and keeps the saga going, simple as that.

Who's ever heard of these places, people, events, or things mentioned in the movies so far?

"Spaarti Cylinder"

Since to my knowledge the actual equipment used in Episode II regarding the cloning aparatus is yet to be named or may never be named, I don't see a problem.

"Z-95"

Precurser to the X-wing, no biggie.

"Praxeum"

Another name for 'school', so what?

"Jorus C'Boath"

A relatively minor character if you ask me.

"Force aura"

I think I'll keep this one given the alternative.

Granted, we still have two more movies left, but I don't think these terms will be mentioned. Try these instead.

"Kamino"

A planet?

"Jedi Starfighter"

A starfighter used by Jedi.

"Jedi Temple"

What's the difference?

"Sly Moore"

Never heard of him.

"Midichlorians"

Are a cancerous blight on everything I know about the Force. No thank you.

Finally, the main reason that the Expanded Universe is disliked is the overblown character, the man with estrogen in the top half, the character-that-must-come-to-no-harm-in-the-NJO-even-though-other-female-heroines-must-lose-their-children-and-have-their -head-shaved, Mara Jade.

I don't see the problem if people like her. The same could be said about the movie's own completely overblown character(s)- Boba Fett and Aurra Sing.

Now, I'm not saying that Mara Jade is the only overexaggerated character in the Expanded Universe; merely she is the most obvious example.

I don't think she is overaggerated, I think it's more a case of she struck a chord and a lot of people, especially girls, like her.

Authors know about the trap of the Marty/Mary Sue [I had trouble with that in A Return to Arms] - an invincible, extremely attractive hero(ine) whom the author would want to bed or want to be. The idea for the original Mara character had merit, and it made for enjoyable reading for a while, but over the years, this character has metamorphosed into a large, hulking example of the Mary Sue.

I see this more as the authors giving people what they obviously want.

Physical Prowess - She can survive a fight with 10 Yuuzhan Vong! Other Jedi of seemingly comparable skill (Leia) are mauled by one Vong, and she nearly loses her legs.

Leia isn't really in Mara's class of Jedi- she has never completed her training, and doesn't engage in combat or utilize the Force as much as Mara does, so there is no reason to expect her to have the same combat ability. Though Mara is listed a Jedi Master, I'd say she is actually a Jedi Knight instead.

Also, several Jedi Knights- Luke, Anakin, Jacen, Corran Horn, Ganner Rhysode, etc. have all gone up against multiple Vong, in fact, probably more than Mara has.

Physical Attractiveness - See one of the 9.99 x 10 (99) Mara fansites for more information.

19. quietlunatic

quietlunatic Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2001
    My rebuttal to Kier_Nimmion's statements:

#2) When I said "tired plot elements", I was referring to endlessly recurring plot elements within the series' themselves. So far, we have seen alien invasions from the following races...
    -Yevetha
    -Ssi-ruk
    -Yuuzhan Vong
    -(Potentially) Chiss

It seems like you've read Darth_Holliday's Exploited Universe thread, which brings me to another plot point which has been beaten to death...

"NEVER KIDNAP A SOLO-BABY!"
    -Exar Kun in EUpisode II

Ugh. Enough said.

Physical Prowess) This "fully-trained"/"not fully-trained" issue is also a point of contention.

My viewpoint is somewhat set against the EU on this one. Training makes the difference, perhaps, but a relatively untrained Luke managed to evade his highly-trained father in the Death Star's trench, unless Lord Zahn has told us otherwise.

Has anyone forgotten Force-aura or midichlorian count or whatever you use to designate force potential? Leia is of the Skywalker line, yet she can take a back seat in the EU in favor of which person?

Mara, of course. The same Mara that is Palpatine's agent of evil. The same Mara that fell in with the smugglers. The same Mara that tries to kill Luke with her stunning red-gold firey beauty, but fails.

The same Mara that must come to no harm in the GFFA (despite Leia having her head shaved, losing her son to the Vong and her daughter to the Dark Side and her husband to grief) is also more skilled than the one-generation removed offspring of the Chosen One.

Leaves you wondering what's next. Maybe she'll exceed even the Chosen One himself in power. But again, if that's "what people obviously want", then give it to them. According to the 9.99 x 10 (99) Mara fansites, that's the way things look like.

Other Attributes) The point I was attempting to make is that when you consider the average woman in one of the movies and the average Expanded Universe novel, seemingly everyone we meet in the EU is babealicious and highly skilled. Many have extremely powerful Force-aura/midiclorian count.

Aunt Beru was just a normal mother and housewife, and we haven't seen any of that archtype when one is needed if the Expanded Universe wishes to remain "realistic" and "current".

ql

20. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    HAS Mara ever been up against 10 Vong at once, though? I seem to recall her being very nearly killed by a single Vong, Yomin Carr, the very first Vong we ever see, &, at the bottom of it, just a bog-standard warrior. This was with R2-D2 helping her.

She's been close to death up until what, one, two books ago? Terminally ill CONSTANTLY, it was all a bit irritating. Luke's love's are few & far between, & every one of them has gone to Hell after a short while.

As for the babe thing, you'll probably find more fansites with Natalie Prtman or Carrie Fisher in them that include porn than you will ones with Mara.

She was the the Emperor's assassin. Big deal. The title ''Emperor's Hand'' is held by a good few, each of them decieved into believing they were the only one. Her narration of the Imperial campaign in ''Galactic Battlegrounds'' sort of confirms that Vader was a league above her.

No-one has said she's more powerful than Leia. Leia's simply not bothered to train.

21. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Seeing the responses from the movie-forum-ites, would it be a fair assessment to answer this thread's title with...

Tim Zahn is the reason why the EU is hated so much in the movies forums? That seems to be the perception I get whenever this matter comes up.

Would it be fair to say for these people, that his novels are Tim Zahn novels, and not at all Star Wars novels except in name only?

Would it be fair to say for these people, that his novels are completely wrong about nearly every Star Wars concept, character and continuity we know prior to them?

Would it be fair to say that it's because of 1-dimensional characters like Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn and the rest of Zahn's Mary Sue's and Larry Stu's that the EU is hated so much by non-lit. SW fans?

Would it be fair to say that because the author may have been unprofessional in his conduct with respect to his handling of Star Wars, that such people think he diminishes all of Star Wars?

Could some movie-purists who hold a strong dislike for the EU chime in about their experiences with the above?

22. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    Hi Genghis, I hope all is well with you. I was looking for you on a couple of other threads, but I see you have moved your posts criticizing Timothy Zahn, the author, over to this one. Back over on those other two threads, I had asked you to please so kind as to direct me to the source of your statement that "It was Zahn who even recently disparaged his fellow Star Wars authors as 'liars and conivvers' for writing that Mara Jade was not the only Emperor's hand." Both of those threads seem to have died out with my request being unanswered. I realize you must have been busy taking your crusade against Zahn to yet another thread, and you probably didn't get a chance to see my queries. So forgive me for requesting yet a third time for this information. It would be most valuable to me in my research. Thanks again in advance, and regards.

23. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    kz, check the current thread that I bumped to the top, about the emperor's hands.

here are the quotes from mazzic.

"Mazzic
    Date Posted: 11/7/01 4:45pm Subject: RE: emperor's hand/S(?!)
    Actually, I had the opportunity to interview both Timothy Zahn and Mike Stackpole while at San Diego Comic-Con.

The 45-min long interview has been posted at Jade Cruades (since most of the interview had to do with Mara) under the "Creators of Mara Jade" if any of you are interested.

However, here is Zahn's view, on that specific question:

"You've reviewed the Star Wars Gamer, what do you think about the "Many Hands of Palpatine" article?

TZ I actually haven't read the article yet, but it is my opinion he had only one Hand, and anybody that says otherwise is lying, or conniving.

And why is that?

TZ She had a unique relationship with Palpatine. She was able to hear his voice anywhere in the Empire. When I did the story "Sleight of Hand," because Lucasfilm gawked at that communication, we had to establish that was absolutely unique. It was Mara and the Emperor who had that telepathic communication. He didn't have it with anybody else, and she didn't have it with anybody else. That is a unique position, and Palpatine obviously had other agents, but he only had one Hand.

That help any?"

24. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    (how many times have we read about the aliens that Came From Beyond the Outer Rim!)

5 times, IIRC. The Nagai and Tofs ( they may have been retconned differently ), Ssi-ruuk, Vuffi Raa's species, the Yuuzhan Vong and the Charon. Out of thousands of stories and games, that's not too shabby. One could also argue that there's too many Rebellion/New Republic vs. the Empire stories.

Who's ever heard of these places, people, events, or things mentioned in the movies so far?

The Z-95 Headhunter is used in the Phantom Menace novelization by Terry Brooks. Likewise with Rodian, originally coined by Troy Denning and personally used by Lucas during certain "making-of" documentaries. Lucas has also used the terms of "swoop" and "Twi'lek", both of which have Expanded Universe origins. And then there's Coruscant...

Look, just because a certain ship, planet, term or piece of technology exists during the timeframe of the PT, doesn't mean it is invalidated by not being shown within the movie. For example...In the OT, we don't see Mos Espa or Podracing. But they probably existed, eh?

This is another case of looking at the Star Wars universe through a 3-inch lense instead of opening your eyes wider to the overall picture -- and scope -- of the GFFA. Something that all too often, Movie Purists are guilty of doing.

So far, we have seen alien invasions from the following races...
    -Yevetha
    -Ssi-ruk
    -Yuuzhan Vong
    -(Potentially) Chiss

The Yevetha and Chiss can't quite be classified as invasions, at least in extra-galactic terms, because their fleets and territories exist within the Known Galaxy.

It seems like you've read Darth_Holliday's Exploited Universe thread, which brings me to another plot point which has been beaten to death...

"NEVER KIDNAP A SOLO-BABY!"
    -Exar Kun in EUpisode II

Ugh. Enough said.

As far as I can recall, the Solo kids have been "kidnapped" three times. Once in the Jedi Academy Trilogy ( Anakin ), during The Crystal Star and temporarily captured during the Corellian Trilogy.

Other Attributes) The point I was attempting to make is that when you consider the average woman in one of the movies and the average Expanded Universe novel, seemingly everyone we meet in the EU is babealicious and highly skilled. Many have extremely powerful Force-aura/midiclorian count.

Hopefully it will stay this way. I don't look forward to Jedi Knights looking like Rosanne Barr anytime soon.

Aunt Beru was just a normal mother and housewife, and we haven't seen any of that archtype when one is needed if the Expanded Universe wishes to remain "realistic" and "current".

The movie of A New Hope did not focus on Aunt Beru. She was there for relatively small story reasons. There has been plenty of EU stories with similiar types of characters. I don't see why someone would pine for more of this. Good-looking, young babes with lightsabers are far more interesting to the average male, and female, reader.

25. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    can I just say btw, I do in a way feel the Thrawn Trilogy can be blamed in a few cases, but not always due to the books themselves. Many here hail them as the greatest books ever, and so when they read a trilogy of, in their opinion, average or poor books, it annoys them, making them haters.

And what you must remember- EVERYONE reads TTT if they are reading the EU. There isnt another book or series like that

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.