main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is EU hated so much in the Movies forums?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ArtMaul, Dec 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Hopefully it will stay this way. I don't look forward to Jedi Knights looking like Rosanne Barr anytime soon.

Amen, Sturm, amen.

2. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    This thread is huge so sorry if my comment is something that has already been said. I don't want to read all 5 pages worth of this thread. ;-) But isn't it true that Lucas gives his stamp of approval on all books that are released. He endorses them. And I know that it has already been said but here it goes again. Lucas has taken some of the things that were first released in the EU and put them into his movies. Coruscant is the best example, and I wouldn't be suprised if we saw something like say a cameo of Mara or Thrawn in Episodes 2 or 3. Maybe even C' Boath. Time will tell. My main point is that Lucas is probably not a critic of the EU and neither should anyone else. Star Wars fans are true fans, whether they like the EU or not.

3. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    Genghis- I disagree. Most purists attack Zahn's books because his are the best known. Besides, I've seen an equal amount of anger directed towards Dark Empire.

4. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Besides, I've seen an equal amount of anger directed towards Dark Empire.

I think I've seen a lot more anger directed towards Dark Empire than the Thrawn trilogy, though Hand of Thrawn and Dark Empire come close.

5. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    That's the one I was looking for, Val. Thanks for posting it and the source of the interview. I've been looking all over the net for it Now, on to Jade Crusade for the whole enchilada. Thanks again.

6. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Your welcome.

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    kz... :) One can acknowledge it takes a while to dig stuff up instead of slinging vague innuendo that one has been ducking the issue ;) I take it you have your answer. Zahn as clear as can be shows his true colors of his unprofessionalism. [face_plain]

Dev (And GtG)...
    Yeah, I accept DE also gets its fair share of slagging. Although in my experience, TTT clearly leads the pack in movie-purist slaggings, far overwhelming anything DE or HoT can muster up. Ysilimari alone accounts for about 55% of EU bashing. "Dark Jedi" (C'Baoth) probably another 30%. The Reborn Emperor probably rounds up the statistical remainder. One can lump just about all other EU into that .0001% left over outside of those big three.

8. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

You know, it was reading the while C'Baoth incident when Luke encountered him, and then Luke's duel with his clone that I realized that Zahn was completely out of his mind and didn't understand the Force or what it meant to be a Jedi Knight. It was just a feeling in my gut, the sort of thing you get when you realize something is horribly wrong, like when you connect the wrong leads to the fusion detonator you've just built.

9. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    And what was so bad abouyt Luuke?

10. kz1000_jay

kz1000_jay Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2001
    Genghis: I never said or meant to imply that you were ducking the issue. You simply left the qestion unanswered, and I was impatient for an answer so I could follow you most recent Zahn attack with a defense of the author. As I said, I just figured you were too busy carrying your continuing crusade against Zahn to other threads to probably even notice that the question had been posed. But Valiento was kind enough to answer my question to you. So now I can get on with responding to your latest broadside fired against Zahn. IMO, references and sources are invaluable in these "spirited discussions." It helps us all stay on the same book and page here on the net, where lots of things are just casually tossed out without supporting documentation. BTW, when you put something someone else said in quotations, their exact words whould appear between the quotation marks. Since you constantly pound Zahn on the professionalism issue, you left yourself open for a little zap with that one, LOL.
    Happy trails,

11. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

And what was so bad abouyt Luuke?

Hmmm, lesse, he was a clone from Luke crica 5 or so years previous and flash programmed, and he was somehow able to fight Luke to a standstill. Luke had 5 years of physical training on the clone, and was programmed by (IIRC) an insane Dark Jedi, who while crazy was not stupid, but had memory lapses and delusions.

Speaking of which, Bespin is a gas giant, so unless Luke's hand was sucked into a ventilation shadt and lodged to rot for 5 years, where the heck did they get it from in the first place?

12. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Streen must have caught it :)

13. Kier_Nimmion

Aug 9, 2000

Oh, right (slaps forehead) he used the Force to get one of those critters to fetch it.

Makes perfect sense!

Another example of intelligently fitting the Expanded Universe together.

14. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Reaperfett...
    "Streen must have caught it"

LOL! Now that's a good one! Actually, Star Wars Galaxy Magazine covered that one a bit.

15. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Streen: Phew, this is hard work. I could really use a ha....hey, what was that?

:)

16. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    RF : ROFLMAO [face_laugh]

17. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    Wasn't Luke getting a buzzing in his head while Luuke was around? Something that was confusing him. Couldn't that be why the clone was able to fight him to a stand still? It's been a while since I read those books but I really do not remember finding anything wrong with how things where done. Oh well to each his own I guess.

18. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Re: Luuke

Yes, clones do have a distinctive presence in the Force that Luke was able to pick up on. As far as the clone having any flash programming, I seem to recall Luuke being described as an "extension of C'Baoth's will" or something along those lines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.