main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why is every Jedi always talking to the High Council?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth_Arapsis, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    During wartime even the most insignificant Jedi are constantly calling the High Council.

Would it not make more sense if for some missions there would be less important Councils to deal with them?

There are thousands of Jedi, everyone should not be constantly calling them, there is a limited number of briefings they can get and situations they can be familiar with.

I know there are lesser councils but we don't see them dealing with anything.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Even in the PT, we see that the Jedi Temple has 5 spires for 5 different councils... and we only ever see inside 2 of them.
    (the middle spire is the war room, which we see in ROTS, I believe)

3. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    By and large the only missions we actually see are the significant ones, which necessitate calling the High Council. Presumably all the routine stuff gets dealt with by the Temple switchboard or one of the lesser councils.

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think the biggest problem is that we very rarely get any sense of an intermediate bureaucracy. We always see the High Council assigning everybody to missions, and we see Jedi going on missions. Sometimes we see intermediate staff, like teachers or Jocasta the head librarian, but there's really no effort to establish that there is anyone else the general population of Jedi could report to other than the High Council. The one intermediate figure between field Jedi and the Council I can think of is Tholme, as the Jedi spymaster during the Clone Wars. But it's never really established that Jedi might report to, say, the Jedi Watchman of the area they're operating in, or to some kind of mission commander.

Now, this basically works if we assume, as I already think we should, that the relatively small group of field Jedi that we see in action do represent a group that actually is small, an elite group of maybe a hundred field operatives that the High Council can easily oversee, and the majority of the Jedi are doing other things, not going on the sort of top-level missions that we see. But where it breaks down is during the Clone Wars, when we've got nine thousand Jedi who are implied to be mostly in the field commanding armies, yet almost every one seems to be independently reporting to the Council rather than having any sort of hierarchy of command. Theoretically we're given a hierarchical system, yeah, but we don't really see it in practice that much.

Gorefiend, Zeta1127 and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Presumably Palpatines Moffs which are in charge of the Clone Wars.

6. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    This makes sense. No way the council could see every jedi all the time.

ok . . . but there is only 1 high council.

7. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Wookieepedia lists 274 post-Ruusan Jedi Knights, 299 post-Ruusan Jedi Masters, and 242 post-Ruusan Jedi trainees (padawans and initiates together), and well as 79 non-categorized 'post-Ruusan Jedi.' That's every Jedi to be named, shown in an image, or even vaguely referenced (including characters like Maris Brood's master who are simply inferred to exist) in a 1000-year period. It comes to a grand total of 894.

Only a fraction of those characters are ever seen reporting to the High Council. So the number of Jedi who actually report to the Council is certainly manageable.

As to who do the Jedi report to outside of the High Council, how about, well, nobody?

Beyond the Clone Wars and stretching back to the Old Republic Era, when the Jedi Order was many times larger than ten thousand, and we don't see Jedi reporting to any formal hierarchy at all. The situation in TOR seems to suggest that most Jedi simply undertake whatever tasks the Force inspires them to focus on, and gather up assistance from personal contacts, friends, and anyone they happen to run into along the way. There simply is no formal hierarchy except at the highest, most critical level. The Jedi form informal sub-groups instead when they feel it necessary - such as the Taris Jedi Covenant.

The idea of such a massive organization as the Jedi Order, and one with such immense power and authority being non-hierarchical is rather terrifying in many ways, but it does fit the idea of Jedi as servants of the Force above all.

cthugha, Ulicus and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Makes sense they have more operational freedom when they are not fighting a major war

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    But I'm saying that other councils do exist, and we know they exist, but we still don't see them even though they've been established since 1999.

10. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    But I'm saying that other councils do exist, and we know they exist, but we still don't see them even though they've been established since 1999.[/quote]

Yes but it's not really relevant

11. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Four Councils only (according to 'The Jedi Path'), housed in the four corner spires - the tall, central, spire is called "the Tranquility Spire";

Council of First Knowledge (Archives Management and Security),

Council of Reconciliation (Diplomacy and peaceful Conflict Resolution),

Council of Reassignment (Jedi Service Corps + managing careers of those who do not pass Initiate or Padawan Trials),

High Council.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  12. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Not enough for an order of about 10000.

Master Woldo Rhen likes this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, I think starwars.com had that list when Episode 1 came out too. Though I thought there was one council basically for the Jedi trials.

I wish we saw more of the Council of Reconcilliation.

14. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Not in wartime, certainly (but then the Jedi weren't really supposed to be an army post Ruusan) but probably adequate pre-Geonosis.