main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is everyone crying about the lack of a "Neo" moment for Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by thechozn1, Jun 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thechozn1

thechozn1 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2005
    From a lot of the post that I have seen there are some of us that wanted Anakin to show himself as the chosen one in some "matrix Neo" way. Like all of a sudden he was suppose to say "Ok, I'm the chosen one. I can wipe out anyone with ease and this is my destiny".

Anakin was suppose to become the greatest Jedi ever. But he rejected this "destiny" as the chosen one when he rejected the things that make a great Jedi... patience, humility, andselflessness.

I see a lot of these threads like "Why wasn't the duel better" where people are saying that Ani should have just mowed OB1 down since he was the chosen one. Or even "Was Ani fooled by a Sith mind trick to become the Apprentice" insinuating that Anikan was weaker than we had been lead to believe all these years. IMHO it was because his training was not complete. I know, I know, he was a Knighted. But they would not make him a master because of his emotional immaturity... not to mention his anger, fear, and hate.

All I'm saying is that he was still young and was not yet fullfilling the prophecy of the chosen one. He could not even bring balance to himself. How the hell was he suppose to bring balance to the force. I'm not saying he wasn't strong. God knows he was. But he chose the quick path, the dark path. Again, IMO this is why he was not as strong as some people thought he was suppose to be in ROTS. Ok, ya'll blast me [face_beatup]

2. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    If it's defined as you said in realizing he can kill anyone and often, it was demonstrated through the Youngling slaughter, Separatist slaughter, and the duel with Obi-Wan. He clearly thought of himself as invincible and leading an Empire.

3. ObiJuanQuito

ObiJuanQuito Jedi Youngling star 5

May 20, 2005
    His NEo moment is in ROTJ

4. BuffysTheChosenOne

BuffysTheChosenOne Jedi Youngling

Mar 27, 2005
    What about his buffy moments as shes a much better chosen one than neo.

Neo is teh suk

5. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    ObiJuanQuito, you've got it totally right if the Neo moment is defined by fulfilling a Prophecy. I was only responding as to how it was defined by the thread author. :)

6. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005
    ummm...no not really...I don't equate The Matrix with Star Wars....nothing against your opinion, but I always thought those "the one" revelations in the Matrix were kind of lame, and I'm glad it didn't happen in RotS. Anakin isn't supposed to have a "Neo" moment in RotS, mainly because anakin isn't a "Neo" character.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I didn't know anyone was actually complaining about the lack of a "Neo" moment, to be honest?

8. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005

hmm, both were chosen ones
    both were conceived in a mysterious way
    Both were prophecies to save the universe

9. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    Yeah, like you say D. Sapient. He thought he was invincible. But a lot of people act like this "wiping everybody out" thing was suppose to carry over to things like his duel with Obi-wan

10. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    ummm...no not really...I don't equate The Matrix with Star Wars....nothing against your opinion, but I always thought those "the one" revelations in the Matrix were kind of lame, and I'm glad it didn't happen in RotS.

We're on the same page my friend. I'm saying i'm glad it didn't happen either and I wish some people would get over wanting the Neo thing

11. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    No, they were crying because there was not enough Vader in the suit, The duel was too short,or the Vader Nooooo was cheasey, but not the lack of a Neo moment. thanks for starting another thread that will go nowhere. lol. and we don't need another thread like this.

12. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    I didn't know anyone was actually complaining about the lack of a "Neo" moment, to be honest?

What I'm really trying to say is that some people are complaining about some percieved weakness on Anakin's part

13. All_Powerful_Jedi

All_Powerful_Jedi Force Ghost star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Lucas set out to ultimately tell the "Tragedy of Darth Vader." Anakin never has that big Neo moment.

He does ultimately fulfill the Prophecy, and from a human perspective, it's a very heroic uplifting moment, but it's not one that he uses any special powers for (other than "love" if you consider that a special power). He kills Palpatine like Brutus killed Caesar.

He fulfills the Prophecy, but not in the mega-uber Chosen One way you are built up to expect from the Prequels. Part of the tragedy is that he never reaches the level he could have. He isn't Neo, he fell before he got there.

The closest we get is the beginning of ROTS where he's at the top of his game and he saves Palpatine and goes down as a war hero and all of that.

14. DUGGY

DUGGY Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 23, 2005
    What I'm really trying to say is that some people are complaining about some percieved weakness on Anakin's part

He was weak. he gave in to the Darkside and took the easy path.and lost all he had. That is the classic tragic hero.just as it should be.

15. thechozn1

May 15, 2005
    Ok allpowerfuljedi you worded it better than i did :cool:

16. Dagobah_Dweller

Dagobah_Dweller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2005

ok, I agree with the other two, but "Both were concieved in a mysterious way"? the "matrix" neo was concieved by a mother and father (Ive just always assumed) and the "real world" neo was concieved by giant baby harvesting machines...nothing really mysterious about that....I get the point that they are both characters that have to fulfill a destiny, but there's one big difference between the two.

Neo realises that he's the one after 20 some odd years never knowing he even was supposed to be the one, or what the "One" was for that matter. Anakin has been told basically since he was 11 that he was going to be very powerful, that he would destroy the Sith.

Neo's "Whoa, I'm all powerful" moments fit for that specific character, because that character is becoming self aware of many things around him through out the movie (referring to the original "Matrix")

17. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I agree with Quito. It was when he killed Palpatine. I don't know that he "realized" that was his moment to fufill the prophecy, as he did it to save Luke, but it might have at least occurred to him.

18. ObiJuanQuito

May 20, 2005
    Your kind of wrong... we dont know if he had a mother or father or if the machines had an alternative way to reproduce humans...
    Matrix one when Morpheus was explain to Neo what happens hints at this...

second, Morpheus tells Neo about the man that could enter and leave the matrix at his own will... The oracle predicted he would return reincarnated in the form of the chosen one someday to free the human race. That my friend was Neo...

Dam, it hurts to be so right

19. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    "Why is everyone crying about the lack of a "Neo" moment for Anakin"

I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd be more likely to vomit over a "Neo Moment."

20. Maureen

Maureen Jedi Youngling

Jun 24, 2005
    I completely agree with you! I was talking to my friend a few weeks ago about this. It doesn't matter how strong you are or what you're suppose to do. If your feelings get in the way, you can be minipulated by almost anyone. I never thought Anakin was very strong. Oh, and about the Neo thing, don't get me wrong, I like the Matrix, but I just don't think it would work with Anakin!

21. Virulent

Virulent Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2005
    As has been aforementioned, he never reaches his full potential. This is why we are never able to see an ascension to Neo-like status in the Matrix.

This is actually a topic of discussion that interests me, as it is intriguing to speculate just how powerful Anakin would have become if he was able to realize his full potential. He would have been powerful enough to take on the Emperor as a Jedi, and take him out. Absorbing Force Lightning would probably not be a problem, and we would probably bare witness to never before seen Force powers unleashed.

Even if he had continued on his path in the Dark Side, and had never been burned, Darth Vader was to become more powerful than both Sidious and Yoda, correct? How do you guys imagine Anakin/Vader progressing if he had never been burned?

22. OBIWAN-JR

OBIWAN-JR Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 25, 2002
    His 'Neo moment' is VERY much the moment at the end of ROTJ when he sacrifices himself.

Just like Neo in the Matrix Trilogy, Anakin does not understand his purpose until the very end. A whole bunch of people were really pissed at the ending of the Matrix because they wanted to see Neo take out Smith in some fantastic display of mind-bending power. And they totally missed the point that this is EXACTLY what he does do. Just because he doesn't physically take down Smith in a burly brawl, it does not mean that he is any less powerful.

He CHOOSES to sacrifice himself for the rest of humanity, and indeed for the machines, too.

Just as Neo brought balance to the human's and the machine's world, so Anakin brings balance to the Force, walking the path between the pair of opposites as he reaches enlightenment.

He CHOOSES to sacrifice himself, for his son, and for the good of the Galaxy.

No greater power than that.

-JR :)

23. GTyper

GTyper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    From a lot of the post that I have seen there are some of us that wanted Anakin to show himself as the chosen one in some "matrix Neo" way. Like all of a sudden he was suppose to say "Ok, I'm the chosen one. I can wipe out anyone with ease and this is my destiny".

Well, according to the book (which I know not everyone respects), Anakin was "THE MAN". He was the most accomplished warrior of all the Jedi. He and Obi-Wan were celebrated heroes for their countless exploits.

I think there should have been a scene that showed this strength.

I always thought THE perfect spot for that was the Mace situation. Instead of cutting off his hand ... it should could have been more akin to this:

Anakin enters ... yadda yadda... Mace starts to swing the killing strike on Palpatine:

Anakin surges with white hot anger. Reaching out through the force he stops Mace's saber in mid-strike.

ANAKIN: "ENOUGH! I said I needed him alive."

A giant force push that sends Mace into a nearby wall. Breath knocked out of him:

MACE: "Anakin, what are you doing, boy? This man is a criminal and he's too dangerous for games."

ANAKIN: "He's innocent of any Jedi based 'criminal' claims at this point! He WON'T be assassinated at your discretion, Mace. I won't allow it."

PALPATINE (in Anakin's mind): "Yes, Anakin, feel the anger ... use it... Padme needs you..."

MACE: "You won't allow it? What makes you think you have the authority to dictate your will upon the Jedi council now?"

ANAKIN: "Your council means nothing to me. You sit behind closed doors, fearful of me ... fearful of ANYTHING you can't control!"

MACE: "Boy, what makes you think ..."

PALPATINE (in Anakin's mind): "Yes, the Jedi fear you ... they fear what they cannot understand ..."

ANAKIN: "You have always been afraid of me. Of my power. Of what I may become. You think I can't see through you? You're all transparent. You fear me for the same reason you fear Palpatine!"

MACE: "No, Anakin, Palpatine is Sith. He's twisted your mind ... "

ANAKIN: "Enough. You denied me twice now. It is time for me to deny you!"

PALPATINE (in Anakin's mind): "Good. Yes, now you are beinning to see..."

Anakin and Mace duel viciously. Back and forth ... Master against the Chosen One. Right before the end you hear Palpatine say "Let loose your anger and hate. Destroy him!" Anakin responds by taking off Mace's hand and he himself shoots the lightening and send Mace out the window.

ANAKIN: "What have I done?"

PALPATINE: "You have taken your steps into understanding your true power, your true purpose and your true strength."

ANAKIN: "Throughout it I wasn't myself ... I never would have ... I didn't ... "

PALPATINE: "No time to rethink it, my son. What's done is done and the Jedi will respond ..."

I'm no writer, that's for sure. But, this is a variation of how I wish the final confrontation played out.

Anakin was suppose to become the greatest Jedi ever. But he rejected this "destiny" as the chosen one when he rejected the things that make a great Jedi... patience, humility, andselflessness.

I think that is incorrect - the prophecy never said if Anakin would be a Sith or a Jedi.

24. YYZ-2112

YYZ-2112 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2004
    Anakin's situation was a lot more complicated than Neo's.

Anakin had been manipulated by Sidious for almost 13 years; the entire breadth of his Jedi training. The Jedi were unaware of this and so they didn't see the small building blocks of ego developing in Anakin. These building blocks are what gave him his inability to let go and his need for control. Besides, all the prophecy sais according to what the characters claim in the films is that the chosen one will bring balance to the force. Anakin's high Midichlorian count suggests that he will have a higher potential to hear the will of the force; that was their purpose. It wasn't about giving Anakin great power, but great insight so that he could guide the Jedi to balance. He partly does this in Episode 3 by informing Mace who the Sith Lord is; a feat no other Jedi could have accomplished because they were not being groomed for Sithdom.

Also in the film, Yoda states PLAINLY that they might have misread the prophecy. This means that all bets are off. But in the end; after 24 years of suffering, Anakin steps up to the plate and takes his place as the chosen one. It was his choice and so it became his destiny. And ultimately, that choice is what made the authors of this myth (you know the guys who penned: A long time ago.....) deem the tale worthy of recording so that some future generation; the audience; could discover it.

In the case of Neo, his power was determined by sheer will of mind and it was something that no one else could even come close to realising. Neo himself didn't believe he was anything special and the Oracle reinforced that idea with what she had to say to him. Because of this, he saw no logical reason why he shouldn't try and save Morpheus. If one of them had to die, then he may as well save Morpheus so the loss wouldn't be double. After he does so, he has the choice to run but remembers what the Oracle said, so he figured, why not test the limits of his capability if he's going to die anyway.

One could say Anakin had his "Neo moment" in The Phantom Menace. He steps up to the plate to help total strangers and in the process is discovered to be special in that he can see things before they happen. The training Qui Gon intended for Anakin would have been primarily to sharpen his force intuition. A Jedi trains for knowledge and defence, never attack .... isn't that how it goes? The idea of seeing some dazzling display of power would be counter to everything the spirit of the prophecy stands for. In fact, when Anakin falls and Vader rises up, the chosen one is put on the shelf; buried deep in the mind of a twisted Sith Lord.

25. henderson

henderson Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 30, 2005
    The best "chosen one" stories are those that have characters who don't want it. The Matrix "chosen one" plots are lame, they act like they want it and, for me, it dose'nt feel right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.