main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why is everyone hoping against a Finn/Rey romance?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord-Draco, Dec 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Draco

Lord-Draco Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I have noticed that a lot of people are talking against a Rey and Finn romance. People say stuff like it wont make sense cause she will be a Jedi and Jedi cant love yet they are open for a Poe/Rey romance.

I hate to bring it up but are people really just uncomfortable to see the attractive white female heroine/Jedi be in a romance with a black guy? Is this one of the basis that people wont admit to? The movie does a lot of hinting that there is something between the two but people want to discount it as just a friendship. If it were reversed and it was Poe that had those scenes with Rey, everyone would be on the idea that Poe and Rey are the new romances for this trilogy. But since it is Finn, it must only be a friendship that wont lead to romance and perhaps Poe will ultimately be the one that gets Rey.

2. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think everyone is against it. I'm not, for one. I thought they had good chemistry. I liked how Finn was immediately smitten with her, whereas I think the moment she truly started to develop deeper feelings was when she realizes Finn came back for her. After a lifetime of waiting for someone to come back for her, Finn is the first one who actually did. And notice one of the last things she says to him is "I'll come back for you".

I'm sure some people (though hopefully not too many) have problems with the race stuff, but I suspect most people opposed to the pairings fall into one of two camps:
    -They just don't want a love story in the new trilogy. They feel like its unnecessary or its been done to death, and would rather see a strong, platonic male/female friendship that doesn't turn into romance. I disagree, but I understand the mentality.
    -They ship Rey with someone else like Poe or Kylo.

Seeher, Ian passman and Force22 like this.
  3. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Personally there are a few things going against it, not that they will hinder it from happening: A lot of people keep the prequels in mind and how the romance was handled there. I expect Poe to be more of a Wedge than a mate.
    (This thread will probably get locked down considering the stupid controversy, which comes out of the current crappy social climate in America.)

Nanosoft likes this.
  4. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Nope. Def not against it. I was not convinced before seeing the film, but Boyega and Ridley have such lovely chemistry together, with such similarly lost characters that I would be very upset if they we not closer together by the end of IX.

5. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Did she really say, " I will come back for you...." I thought it was, "we will see each other again..."

Man I just sae the movie and I already forgot.

Either way, it just seems like people are piling on Finn and not wanting him to have any strong relevance.

I just hope this isnt driven by prejudice and the fact that a beautiful white heroine cannot possibly be with a black guy.

6. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    Well said, but a lot of people keep pointing to the novel as well as some supposedly deleted scene that suggest Rey is really into Poe, not Finn.

7. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    I dislike the idea of them being together, I'm not totally against it but I would prefer if they wasn't. I would feel the romance is too predictable and rather tame when compared with Solo and Leia. Also, if she is to become a Jedi in true form then she will have to sacrifice her romance with Finn... I would find this scenario much more interesting.

8. Dr_Darth

Dr_Darth Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2005
    I would have to say, of course it is. That's why people got their panties bunched by the first trailer. They were offended there could be a 'black stormtrooper'. Give me a break! While I couldn't care less about romances in SW - it's not why I like it - part of me hopes that Rey and Finn make out in the next one just to get it out there. That is how you desensitize the mind. I mean, it's the freaking 21st century already!
    Han and Leia kissed a few times in Empire and the end of Jedi, so if you have to have kissing and romance, then Rey and Finn seem to be the most likely to hook up.
    Luckily this issue isn't really a problem in the SW galaxy. The only 'racism' that exists in SW movies, that I know of, is against robots and androids. Some people "don't want their kind in here." ...Oh, and bounty hunters and rebel scum. :) Other than that, everyone seems accepting of everyone else - if you know I mean, "wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more"....;)

9. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I'm not against the two of them together, I'm against them falling in love at first sight, which Finn clearly did. It was really cliche for him to be super into the first woman he meets once he defects. Not only that, I didn't think Rey reciprocated any romantic feelings, just feelings of friendship.

Honestly, if she doesn't end up being a skywalker id rather see her with Kylo, because it'd be different. It's to safe for Finn and Rey to be in love so soon, or even at all.

10. AllAboutThatMace

AllAboutThatMace Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 2, 2014

Why would Luke continue to maintain the "Jedi can't love or have a family" rule, when the entire point of RotJ was Luke showing that the old Jedi masters were wrong and love of family was what ultimately saved the galaxy and defeated Palpatine? I mean, even just looking at the PT, so many problems simply disappear if Anakin isn't forced to keep his marriage a secret.

There's no reason at all to think that Jedi trainees in this era will follow the same misguided path the old Jedi order went down

Elegant Weapon and StarKiller81 like this.
  11. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    Yep. There is the implication in the novel and we do know that Poe's character was cut back a fair bit, however when I saw the film again, in the scene mentioned in the novel (where they accidentally hug and then introduce themselves to each other), Rey and Poe are not even standing anywhere near each other, so I don't even think that it was filmed.

12. Chewies_bandolier

May 5, 2002
    You know .. given the results of the Skywalker clan reproducing, maybe the Jedi had a point about being celibate hermits ;)

Darth Formidious likes this.
  13. Kajash

Kajash Jedi Master star 2

May 15, 2002
    If it's done well, I'm all for it. As with any other pairing.

14. Dr_Darth

Dr_Darth Jedi Master

Jun 29, 2005
    I haven't read the novelization, so if she is into Poe and not Finn then that's fine too. Of course, I thought Luke and Leia were going to hook up in Empire and she went with Solo - for good reason it turned out. So, maybe this is a bait and switch like the Luke - Leia - Han triangle of Episodes 4 and 5 when we did not know their backstories and relationships?

15. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    What's there to be against? Those two are already into each other. Everything else is just shipping.

16. Shadojoker

Shadojoker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 15, 2000
    It was perfectly done...they hugged when she realized they came back for her...most "Disney" or other films just kiss after something heroic but they didnt...just embraced for a long time. It was done right.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  17. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

The reason Luke confronted Darth Vader is because he sensed there is still good and light in him, it wasn't for him to express his love for his Father and hoping the family element will unite them but rather, to exploit his lightside and the good within him, I agree there was a very small family element there. But that is not the way I seen RotJ.

I disagree, I don't think it was misguided but it was a big generalisation. Attachment is indeed a dangerous road to the dark side! [face_devil]

18. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Because some people don't think the female lead has to or should have a romance. Don't try to make it into something it isn't. Of course racists exist but this is 2015 and most people don't bat an eye about a white woman and black male or any combination of races or genders. I think they're kind of cute together but I don't think we need a romantic storyline in this trilogy.

19. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    How about a Finn and Poe bromance?

20. Death-T

Death-T Jedi Knight

Feb 23, 2012
    Let's not make douchey liberal assumptions about people's opinions. I knew someone was going to post this thread but wish I was wrong. I have no problems with a Rey and Fin romance, but if someone does I'm not going to pull the race card.

Bobatron likes this.
  21. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Goodbye.

[​IMG]

MattOrgana and Force22 like this.
  22. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    I'd rather not see any romance between them mostly because I don't think it adds anything to the story. I don't care about the 'jedi code' or racial element of it. They can care about each other and have sort of flirty chemistry and that can be enough. Do we need to have a scene where they share their first kiss? Is that going to be a big plot point in the future movies? I'd just rather the movies not have those plot lines. The romance angle was HIDEOUS in the PT, and it was very ambiguous in the OT - so much so that even at the end of ROTJ Han still thought Leia chose Luke (not yet knowing they were siblings). Movies and TV shows benefit from unrequited chemistry, but they very rarely succeed at establishing a pair. If the new series pairs Rey and Finn, what then?

23. Lord-Draco

Nov 26, 2002
    What indication did you get that she put Finn in the friendzone, cause she refered to him as, "my friend"?

To me along with the kiss on the forehead, it seems like she does have some small feelings for him but cause of his condition being in coma, she cant express it nor can he respond back. So she kisses him on the head in a very emotional way that indicates that this will be expanded upon in EP8.

It is people like you that want to quickly put down any shot for a Finn/Rey romance for whatever reasons.

24. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    I have my theory why SOME people are against it.....but I'll say no more.

Obiwan10, Solo-Skywalker and Dra--- like this.
  25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    It would be nice to have a Star Wars era, without some torturous romance being shoved down our throats.

Bobatron likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.