main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is everyone so pissy?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by spence3eb, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADONIAH32

ADONIAH32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Tac: Are you therefore saying anyone who asks such a questions is an ignorant fool who doesn't plan well?

I disagree greatly. My friend and I are directing this, producing, and writing the massive script that will accompany it. I posted the help I need, and you STILL have the nerve to say I don't plan well? That I just march in here expecting help?

You're right, I do expect help. We're working hard to make this a wonderful reality, but we can't unless we have help. And for some people to sit there and tell me I haven't planned, or that I should do it myself?! You must really have some issues if you still say that to members without knowing that they haven't planned.

Assumption is basis of many problems [face_plain]

2. crutag-ventor

crutag-ventor Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I graciously bow before Tac ;)

Exceptionally well said! :D

3. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Tac is seriously in the wrong...and any intelligent user would realize that.

You may believe what you want, but for every person you put down, you may be putting down a possible EXCELLENT fan film.

This thread has become a source for flaming and disrespect. If it doesn't stop, I'll gladly have a mod close it. This has gone too far.

4. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I don't bow to anyone. I do agree with TAC though on some of this.

I didn't know how to do the craw myself, but with some time an patience in rendering time you can surely do it.

If you genuinely have no way of executing this, hopefully someone can help you. unfortunately I don't have that kind of time right now while I'm working on my movie, working full time and planning my wedding ;)

I do think we need to be open to help people on these things if they absolutely cannot do it. Not everyone is a effects wizard. Many are only good at a couple things in production and that's okay. It doesn't make you a bad person if you don't know how to do effects, that's just not your area, but perhaps directing is. Maybe you are director-inclined, but not a technical genius at making the effects happen but have a darn good idea of what you want. I can understand that. I mean Lucas doesn't do his own effects. He gets people to help create his vision. It's not really cheating anything. People have their areas of mass knowledge and not so much in others... DON'T WORRY! NO ONE is perfect!

I'm one of those people who want to be universal in the process by showing I can do it myself if I really put my mind to it, but that's just me. Others really have the desire, just need some help now and then. We aren't all gods of fanfilm movie making.

5. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I love how incosiderate Tac is. He is expecting me to go into even greater debt to buy 3D Studio Max and then learn it?

Sorry, I can't buy it and I won't be able to for a while. Some of us CAN'T no matter WHAT do something...I think there is a difference between NOT being able to and not WANTING to...

6. wixmmm

wixmmm Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 8, 2001
    Desaan, desaan, we have told you time and time again-- BLENDER IS FREE!!!! THERE IS A STEP BY STEP TUTORIAL RIGHT HERE ON THE FANFILMS PAGE!!!

ANYBODY can make a crawl.

Now, to adinoishcabah, (sorry, I can't spell either Desaan ;)) Hey, you're bringing in quotes from another thread into this one, and you seem to have "joined sides"

there is no sides here, we "insulters" are just trying to get the point across that there are other ways than asking strangers to do the work for you.

Halibut and I have both completed fanfilms. His kicks mine's ass any day of the week (well, maybe except thursday, thursdays are good days ;)) but we are not people who lurk the boards and lash out at random people for no reason. I do not think that anyone has lashed out. But this is the internet... if you WANT to read my or anybody else's posts with an insulting tone in your head no one is going to stop you, but look at the content of the post.

When I released my fanfilm there were certain reviews (not here, here every review was great, positive or negetive) on my site's forum originally made me thing "wow that was a bad review... how do i respond to that?" But then I re-read the review and realized that, sure, the person directly and bluntly said my movie was "well, your movie was just... well... bad" . But then I realized that that was just his opinion. He did tell me I showed promise and should continue to work and I could be doing amazing stuff in the future. So, originally what I thought was a very insulting review turned out to not be so bad as I thought-- after I re-read it.

Some people read select portions of posts and just can't handle it. It's the internet, that happens to EVERYONE including me... but rarely do people just lash out for no reason. Your mamma. Now that would be lashing out for no reason... but that doesn't happen, I just try to get my point across, and so do others.

The thing is, people come here expecting us to just do things for them. Don't get me wrong PEOPLE WANT TO DO THINGS FOR YOU this is a fact. The point is, you need to give them some sort of reason. No one is going to want to devote HOURS AND HOURS to helping someone that they don't even know. Should we just "take your word for it" and help you, trusting that this fanfilm will be the best ever? Absolutely not. You should give SOMETHING to us, so we know "ok, this is a project I want to have my name on." The BEST thing you can do is show production photos-- actual stills from your movie . Things showing us you are pulling your part before we pull ours. Do something... you don't need to even film before people will help you. Make a name for yourself on the boards! Help others! Ok, you don't know much about CG, not everyone does, but you CAN help others with what you DO KNOW. Once people see you being an active part of this COMMUNITY They WILL be more than happy to help you.

Being a part of this community is what it's all about... once people know you, they will help you. Once they have seen you do stuff, they will help you. But, coming to the board and asking for ALOT of work for nothing, without making a name for yourself first, will get you no where.

Don't get me wrong, I have been here a year and still am trying to "make a name for myself" but there are new posters (we're talking like people who registered in june) who already have gained my respect, and in my opinion have already made names for themselves. One of these people is Jedi_Smithy. He comes here, brand new to the boards, and what does he do? Make a program that searches the boards. This guy OBVIOUSLY wants to be a part of the community, and not just wants work done for him.

It's give and take...

Cya
    Mike

PS: I know daft or someone might be reading this and saying "mike, you complain that these posts take away space from the good ones, yet you are helping these stay at the top of the heap" And I say, yes, in that respect, I am a hippocrit. But I think what I said might have needed to be said, given that this is

7. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    ADONIAH32 Respectfully speaking, but maybe you should tone back on your project? All directors must produce a project with limitations. Realize what you can and can?t do. What you can do, do it! What you can?t, find creative ways around it.

BTW, Most directors, if not all, must show the studio they work for (or with) that what they are trying to create is within the realm of reason and within budget. If not they don?t get the money to do so.

Just my two cents. ;)

8. Sketcher

Sketcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    i think that the reason why people get so mad at each other is because we have forgotten that this IS for fun. people have seemed to turn fan film making into a long and tiring career. something i did with my first 20 minute film.

people may start out wanting to make a SW film because it sounds fun but when you spend so much time around a certain type of film (like Star Wars) then it gets dull. am i wrong?

9. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    I realize that, and what we planned is within reason. Like I mentioned, most of the 3d models we need have already been created, so they just need to be tweaked to suit our needs.

10. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Tac is seriously in the wrong...and any intelligent user would realize that.

I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life.

If that is true: Color me stupid.

Cya
    Mike

PS: you haven't DONE anything yet, until you actually DIRECT or PRODUCE something, you can't really say you are a full fledged Director or Producer. That's just how I see it anyway, others may disagree.

EDIT:

ADONIAH32 Respectfully speaking, but maybe you should tone back on your project? All directors must produce a project with limitations. Realize what you can and can?t do. What you can do, do it! What you can?t, find creative ways around it.

VERY well said Crug. It's what I've been saying for months... if you can't do something, and need to beg for help: DON'T MAKE IT THE SELLING POINT OF YOUR FANFILM!!! The real statement that was made wasn't so much the "We will make one of the best fanfilms ever" but the "we really need CG people right now, as the movie has alot of it"

It CAN'T HAVE IT if you CAN'T DO IT so DON'T WRITE IT unless you are sure you CAN DO IT.

I love how incosiderate Tac is. He is expecting me to go into even greater debt to buy 3D Studio Max and then learn it?

SOrry, maybe I missed something, but TAC never said that you should buy it. There are MANY other alternatives... Blender, for one. Lone_Padawan, another member who ranks high in my book of people I respect, he is really good at blender, and does great things with it. He takes what he has an uses it... he shows the initiative that you may be lacking.

But bottom line is, if you want 3d studio, lightwave or maya results, you DO need to pay the price!!! Do you hear lucas say "I really want EpIII to be better than II effects wise, but this time I don't feel like paying ILM all that money..." it's the SAME CONCEPT, if you want ILM results, you need to pay ILM fees.

Also, this IS NOT HOLLYWOOD. This is fanfilm makilng. Here you kind of DO NEED TO BE a "jack of all trades." You DO need to have a little knowledge of everything... that's just my opinion though.

And I do think that fanfilm making is fun. Me and Halibut were even saying how THIS is fun. I'm defending my opinions of fanfilms, something I love... i'm having a ball... if you're not, why are you posting?

Fanfilms have always been fun for me, doing the effects, directing, writing, and above all the FINISHING of a fanfilm has been a blast, and I don't think I'm stopping anytime soon.

11. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    Mike,

TOTALLY AGREE on the directing/producing part! ;)

12. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Is this another attempt at putting me down? Are you saying that because I don't have a film in TFN's database I am inferior to you?

If so, how dare you. I have made countless movies with my friends before. Heck, I've even been to a directing workshop, so don't tell me that.

13. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    His kicks mine's ass any day of the week (well, maybe except thursday)

Yeah, damned thursdays!

I am disappointed that the 2 people who started other threads, are starting to bring their 'arguments' from those threads into this one. I stated in one of them that I wouldn't do that, so I shall refrain. But if you want to see the REAL stories behind their 'complaints' I suggest you check those threads to see exactly why people are moaning about them

14. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    LOOK .... I am certainly not saying that asking for and receiving help is wrong or a bad thing.

What I am saying is that I haven't seen any sign that people who have been asking for a myriad of things be done for them have put forth the effort to even try themselves.

I've seen very few (if any) posted attempts at Opening Crawls, or rotoscoped sabers, or cgi effects, etc. The majority of what I have seen, by far, are posts with (nore often than not) new members simply asking for people to do things for them. Where is the attempt ??? Where is the effort ???

Is it just me not seeing it?

A person can write all they want about how they have tried and tried (just as they can say that they don't use warez - right, uh huh) ... but unless/until we can see, at least, that an effort is being made to, at least, try to accomplish the effect, the crawl, the story, etc .... then how can we feel any less than being taken advantage of for the hours of time and effort we spent in researching and learning the techniques?

I don't think it's asking too much to expect people to exhaust other possibilities before, essentially, giving up and handing it over to someone else. By the same token ... for those willing to offer their knowledge and skills to those who ask for it - I APPLAUDE YOU !!!

I don't think either side of the coin is wrong.

15. ADONIAH32

Jan 18, 2002
    Oh, geesh...here we go...again, Halibut.

My thread was an attempt to get help. Apparently because...wait, how did you put it? Ah yes, because I apparently too lazy or ignorant to learn this myself, I shouldn't be asking. So delicately put.

Gee, sorry for trying to get some help. I guess board isn't what I thought it was.

16. Cunard

Cunard Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 12, 2001
    This thread is going to give me nightmares. I just know it...

17. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    You're right, I do expect help

Which is exactly the point I am making. You have NO RIGHT to approach strangers and "expect help" with the attitude you displayed. There is a HUGE difference between asking for help, and expecting it. No-one here owes anyone anything. People don't help others for many many reasons. Time, and pure selfishness are amongst them. THAT IS LIFE, and if you don't realise that, then you have many disappointments still to come

18. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    This really really really needs to be locked, and fast...

:(

Indy

19. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    wait, how did you put it? Ah yes, because I apparently too lazy or ignorant to learn this myself, I shouldn't be asking.

So you're now using blatent lies as an argument. Interesting. I would be most intrigued to see where I used the word 'lazy' or 'ignorant'

20. wixmmm

Jun 8, 2001
    Is this another attempt at putting me down? Are you saying that because I don't have a film in TFN's database I am inferior to you?

Hey, I don't have a fanfilm on TFN either, I have a fanfilm done and online, but not on TFN, I guess I'm inferior to myself.

I said that i AM NOT putting anyone down...

You're not a doctor.

Did I offend you? It's the SAME THING. You DON'T have a PHD.... you're not a doctor. You DON'T have a fanfilm we can see-- you're not a COMPLETE director (i use the work complete because a director does have a smaller part to play in the preproduction phase... but I think most people would agree that directors gain their directing status by what they actually direct, not how they plan it).

I don't see how that is an insult.

Cya
    Mike

PS: I didn't want to create a pointless new thread, I edited the one above with a longer message.

21. spence3eb

spence3eb Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2002
    LoL, kinda getting sad about my name being the one who originated this one... never meant to start this kind of argument/talk... but if it needs to be done, do away!

I do have to say that your efforts must be shown to yield some sort of help.

I put up a few f/x tests but unfortunitally they seem to quickly trickle to the bottom and off the page.

oh well, i'm throwin effort into my stuff just about 24 hours a day, and when i cant figure something out i just work more, and eventualyy I get it. I learned, and created a scroller in about 5 minutes, so i dont know what the fuss is all about.

There are resources far further than these boards u know ;).

22. niennumb1

Oct 10, 2001
    ADONIAH32,

You're starting to sound like me 4 months ago! hehehe....

I learned the hard way and needed to make a serious descision for myself with all the yelling and complaining I did here. I think I've been more calm since I thought over how bad I used to be (not saying you're a bad person, please don't take that the wrong way). You have my respect (we all get frustrated at times), but be careful you don't lose friends here. It's taking me forever to build my character back up again on these boards. I used to have an angry Anakin face under my name, but now my Anakin graphic is happier. :D

23. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    And then came The Ulitmate FanFilm and your respect went down the toilet again :p :D

24. crutag-ventor

Jan 29, 2002
    niennumb1 Will that happier graphic go back to an angry face after Episode 3? ;)
    Just trying to lighten things up. :D

25. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    A Mad World My Masters...

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.