main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is"Galaxy"used in OT, but it's "Universe" in PT?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by IDigMetalBikinis, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IDigMetalBikinis

IDigMetalBikinis Jedi Master star 2

Oct 1, 2003
    While one could debate until the end of time the quality of the writing and attention to detail in the OT versus the PT, there is one discrepency that just plane irks me.
    In the classic trilogy, the characters refer to the area of known space which they inhabit as "the galaxy". Fine,that makes sense, as in a self contained cluster of billions of star systems that inhabits a certain area in the limitless reaches of space.
    But many characters in the PT refer to "the universe", as in "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe" and "I don't care what universe you're from, that's gotta hurt". What? Is there more than one universe? I mean, "the universe" basically means everything in existence. Also, this certainly can't be meant to suggest that the characters travel between galaxies. That's ridiculous. This just seems to me to be evidence of a clear slide in quality in regards to Lucas' writing skill. As they say, the devil's in the details.

2. gator

gator Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 20, 2003
    SW characters use the words "galaxy" and "universe" interchangeably, the terms are not meant to be taken too literally

3. Darth_Retard

Darth_Retard Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2003
  4. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I'm sorry to be mean, especially to a new member but...that's really hyper-picky, you know.

The devil may be in the details, but that's just above and beyond the call of duty for even Star Wars fans ;)

5. IDigMetalBikinis

Oct 1, 2003
    I think that's a weak justification. The word "universe" was NEVER used in the OT to indicate the place in which the characters existed..it was always "galaxy". And don't even get me started on the pod race announcers line. His dialogue implies there are multiple universes to come from.

6. IDigMetalBikinis

Oct 1, 2003
    DamonD, you're not being mean. But as a writer, I pick up on things like that. And they make me cringe. Same as "Yippeee" and "Let's not report that until we have something to report" and "I wish I could wish my feelings away". I do, however, see how it could be seen as nit-picky from a non-writers point of view.

7. IKilledSifo-Dyas

IKilledSifo-Dyas Jedi Master star 2

Aug 6, 2003
    The word "universe" was NEVER used in the OT to indicate the place in which the characters existed..it was always "galaxy".

"The Jedi are extinct.Their fire has gone out of the UNIVERSE." -Tarkin,ANH

Ooops!!!! I'm sure he meant to say galaxy. ;)

(Coincidently,,I think the fire has just gone out of this thread as well.Sorry)

8. IKilledSifo-Dyas

Aug 6, 2003
    "Well,if there's a bright center of the UNIVERSE,your on the planet that it's farthest from." Luke Skywalker,ANH

Double oopps!!!

9. IKilledSifo-Dyas

Aug 6, 2003
    "This station is now the ultimate power in the UNIVERSE.I suggest we use it." The Imperial Vader Force chokes on the Death Star (don't know his name),ANH.

Triple oopps! I guess Lucas's writing has always been bad. [face_mischief]
    The real question is why don't they say universe more in the PT? ;)

10. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    And with that, IKilledSifo-Dyas has killed this thread. Better luck next time.

11. IKilledSifo-Dyas

Aug 6, 2003
    And with that, IKilledSifo-Dyas has killed this thread.....

Watch it,You used the word "killed' twice in the same sentence.IDigMetalBikinis might start a thread criticising you of your writing talents. :)

12. IDigMetalBikinis

Oct 1, 2003
    Wow.I stand corrected. I guess it's been longer than i thought since I watched the OT.
    However....

I was just trying to see if anyone had an answer to my query. IKilled Syfo-Dias, thanks for correcting me with humor. Satorski, you nedn't be such an arrogant little prick about it.

13. IDigMetalBikinis

Oct 1, 2003
    pardon me..LATORSKI. i wouldn't want to call the wrong person an arrogant ;itt;e prick.

14. IKilledSifo-Dyas

Aug 6, 2003
    IDigMetalBikinis,I'm glad you could see the humor in my replies and that I was just giving you a bad time (my humor doesn't always translate well over the internet).To be fair,I don't think "universe" is ever used in TESB or ROTJ,just in ANH.It could be because Lucas had more of a hand in writng the sceenplays (or was the sole screenplay writer) for the "universe" movies than the "galazy" movies.Anyway,thanks for not calling we a pr-ck. ;) (by the way,name calling and profanity could get you banned on these forums,so you may want to refrain in the future.) :)

15. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    Who you callin' little?

;)

16. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    IDigMetalBikinis, believe me, I wish I could just wish away my posts. But I can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.