main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is "Han Solo and the Princess" theme being revised?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Corellian Blue, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Corellian Blue

Corellian Blue Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2017
    Newbie here and not sure if this query deserves its own thread, but here I go.

In February this year, conductor Simone Pedroni published an orchestra performing "Han Solo and the Princess" with the note:
    "Now, unfortunately, this version is no more available: we performed right before it was taken off the market "for revision"..."

My question is: Why would LFL revise this theme? And this year, of all times?

"

2. jiitijo

jiitijo Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2017
    Hmm, the youtube clip is marked private so I couldn't watch it. It might be that JW wants to rework the orchestration a bit. Remember his arrangements for orchestral performances are often re-scored and are different from the movie cues. If you are a musician and are interested, you can get some signature JW study scores here: Study Scores

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    For someone who knows squat about the bureaucracy behind music and marketing, what does it mean that it was "taken off the market"? Does an orchestra need to contact LFL or Disney and ask permission to play a song before doing so, and now it's not available? Is that possibly why the video is no longer working? (which in itself would be an interesting conundrum -- you secure the rights to play a song, videotape it and put it on Youtube, then Disney changes the rights afterward and forces Youtube to take it down... although there are also a billion "Han Solo and the Princess" videos made by folks playing musical instruments in their basements that still exist and I doubt they ever tried to get permission before uploading... bizarre!)

4. jiitijo

jiitijo Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2017
    Good questions. You have to rent both the conductor score and all the parts for the orchestra. Composers can take a piece "off the market" by not allowing it to be rented. LFL and Disney have nothing to do with this. JW for instance, licenses his music to be used in the SW films. They don't own his compositions...he does. BMI is one of the organizations that handles the rights issues for composers and their scores. You have to get rights to perform live concerts even if you are a non-profit or university. Here is a link to a BMI page that answers FAQs about this stuff: https://www.bmi.com/licensing/entry/symphony_orchestras