main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Harrison Ford bitter about acting?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by homeless_jedi, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    It's no mystery to anyone that harrison Ford hates interviews.this year he was on Conan Obrien..and he was a jerk...He just does'nt like to be asked anything..he thinks acting is stupid and he feels he is too important to be in tv shows..he doesnt like to plug his movies..at all.
    He has been known to be bitter and angry at everyone who asks him about star wars or indiana jones..A decade ago he moved to oregon far away from the city..to be away from people..

so why do you all think he became so angry? well I watched the indiana jones dvd bonus disk this week and he mentions having surgery on his back..and being in lots of pain..could he be in so much pain that it just gets to him?

It is possible he thinks he is too important to attend tv shows and awards. or maybe he is just getting too old to put up with all that crap..and the stupid crap they ask..

he always says stuff like.. "it's just another day at the office" like if it really did'nt matter..he makes it seem like the fans make it more than it really is.

It seems to me..that for him..star wars and indiana jones are no big DEAL..and he just doesnt get the whole phenomenon.. toughts?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > he thinks acting is stupid and he feels he is too important to be in tv shows..he doesnt like to plug his movies..at all.
    He has been known to be bitter and angry at everyone who asks him about star wars or indiana jones..A decade ago he moved to oregon far away from the city..to be away from people..

Umm is that just your opinion or substatiated "fact"?

You could really do with a few direct quotes to back up your statements...

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    this year he was on Conan Obrien..and he was a jerk...He just does'nt like to be asked anything..he thinks acting is stupid and he feels he is too important to be in tv shows..he doesnt like to plug his movies..at all.

I saw the Conan O'Brian show in which you are referring to and, to me, it just seemed like he was having a bit of fun. Like most people, he probably gets nervous being drilled with questions in front of millions of people and what better way to ease yourslef than to crack a few jokes?

It is possible he thinks he is too important to attend tv shows and awards. or maybe he is just getting too old to put up with all that crap..and the stupid crap they ask..

It seems to me..that for him..star wars and indiana jones are no big DEAL..and he just doesnt get the whole phenomenon...toughts?

I think he gets the whole phenomenon thing(with Star Wars anyway), but he just wanted to move onto other things. With Indiana Jones it seems different. He seems very enthusiastic about the upcoming Indy 4 and he always has something good to say about the trilogy itself.

4. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Harrison Ford has always been like that. he is really uncomfortabe doing interviews. He actually plays that up for a bit of comedy in the rare ocassions he does apperances, like Conan O'Brian and David Letterman (promoting Hollywood Homicide).

I actually prefer that, I don't need to know the personal life of stars and kinda baffles me the obsession with stars. I very much like good actors like Jack Nicholson, Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman and Warren Beatty (another how is very bad at interviews), who seldom do interviews, over the Britneys or other flavor or the moment stars.

There was a premiere which Ford attended not long ago where the reporter asked about Calista and Ford rightly so responded he doesn't discuss his personal life.

he certainly is not angry or bitter, just a very reserved person. The only time I've really known him to be upset is when asked about Blade Runner, on which he didn't get along with Ridley Scott and usually doesn't comment on that film.

5. TheHighEmperor

TheHighEmperor Jedi Master star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    I feel that Harrison Ford has had some sort of mid-life crisis or something. He divorced his wife of 20 years, got his ear pierced and hooked-up with Calista Flockhart...

But that's his personal business. In regards to his attitude about movie making, he always seems drugged or something during interviews. He talks very slowwwwwwwww.....

Also, it was Lucas who helped him build is career (American Graffiti, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones). He should be more grateful about his role as Han Solo. Regardless of the acting to blue screen or the dialogue, I don't think K-19 has a huge following...

THE.

6. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    I believe Harrison moved to Jackson Hole, Wyoming - not Oregon.

He's never seemed angry to me,
    but as has been noted, he's a private
    person who shuns the spotlight.

I'm sure he's grateful for the Lucas films
    he's been involved with...they put him on the map.

7. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    IMHO..

he seems to enjoy his privacy.

in addition he respects his family and dosen't want the drug thru the media.

from my memory he simply felt that the character of han solo was too one dimensional, and was pigeon holeing him in a type of role.. he wanted character development.

in addition , take a look at the media nad look at the questions they ask, it's really none of our business..

as for dumping his wife... it happens, people grow apart, and has anyone noticed how much more open he has become since dating calista???

all in all... i don't care if he is a jerk or not in real life,, as long as he keeps making movies which can be enjoyed for years to come

8. Wampas_Have_Dandruff

Wampas_Have_Dandruff Jedi Master star 2

Dec 2, 2002
    Watch him on Inside the Actor's Studio sometime. There, in a room full of people who were actually interested in him as an ACTOR and not a celebrity, he opened up more than I've ever seen him. He really was happy to answer questions for the students.

9. Theron

Theron Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2000
    In Biography they did an interview with Harrison Ford and he said he enjoyed doing that movie Blade Runner, he just had a disagreement with Ridley Scott on the fact that Ridley wanted his character to be a replicant. Ford wanted him to be a regular human. He said that was the only problem, otherwise he enjoyed doing it. Ford also stated he makes movies but rarely watches them. It's just a job to him.

10. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    That episode of Inside the Actor's Studio is my favorite HF interview, because they want to know about Harrison the actor, not Harrison and his love life. I don't think he's bitter about acting. He made a choice to do only one film a year because he wanted to slow down a bit and spend more time with his family. He's always been slightly cranky and cynical in interviews, but in a humorous way--as he was in a few scenes from Hollywood Homicide.

Why would he be bitter about acting? It seems to me that it's something he truly loves to do. Maybe he just doesn't want to always be asked about Star Wars or Calista Flockhart and would rather talk about his latest project, be that a film or an environmental cause.

11. Darth_Ebay

Darth_Ebay Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2003
    I think HF fails to realise at times that his best work was many years ago and that people aren't interested in what he churns out now (as Box Office takings suggest). He is in 6 of the top grossing films of all time and these are what Indy and SW fans are interested in. I think the sooner he comes to terms with that the better.

12. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I agree with JadeSolo. The man likes his privacy, and doesn't feel like discussing personal issues with strangers.

To us Indy and Han are more than just characters, but to him they were a job, a great job, but certainly no the only thing he ever wants to hear about or talk about. He probably gets asked the same questions 1000's of times, its got to get old after awhile.

13. Ozzel

Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff star 5 VIP

May 14, 2001
    The man's just not a good interviewee, that's all. And if he doesn't want to talk about films he did 20 years ago (great as they may be) in every interview, I see nothing wrong with that.

I find his "day at the office" quote rather amusing. Maybe it just has to do with the irony of the term "office" describing exotic locations and elaborate sets. [face_laugh]

I don't thing he's bitter about acting. If he didn't like acting, he would've stuck with carpentry.

14. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    Harrison maybe just don't like all the attention that comes along with being an actor. I think he enjoys makng movies just not the inteviews and tabloid junk that comes along with making movies and being a huge name in hollywood.

I also feel that Harrison acts a lot like Han Solo (even though he enjoys Indy more than Han) character that has been presented in the movies and EU books. He goes out and does something he loves and is passionate about it but jokes around with being a big time actor and hero. Doesn't like all the hype and nonsense that comes along with what he does.

15. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    Watch him on Inside the Actor's Studio sometime. There, in a room full of people who were actually interested in him as an ACTOR and not a celebrity, he opened up more than I've ever seen him. He really was happy to answer questions for the students.

Exactly. That was one of his best interviews ever, perhaps THE best (the one with Steven Spielberg was great too). I'm from Brazil, and some years ago he was interviwed by a Brazilian actress who started her own talk show down here, and in the end of the interview he said something interesting: "You're different" - he told her. "How so?" - she asked him. He said: "You really listen to the answers". I mean, I think he doesn't like reporters who are always on auto pilot, asking the same questions and not bothering to listen to the answers, they'll write what they want, anyway.

But I agree that Ford's career is not going well. I mean, what was his last really good film? The Fugitive? When was that, ten years ago? Since then he's been doing one flop after the other. K-19 was interesting, and I actually liked his cynical character in Six Days, Seven Nights.

But he's lost his touch. I mean, the other day I watched Working Girl and I had a great time seeing him as an executive who is fooled (and loved) by Melanie Grifith. He was alive back then. He was funny, smart, likable. Lately he seems more and more somber and just not very interesting. I really miss my former favorite actor (now it's Russel Crowe, if you want to know, who reminds me of a younger Ford). IF (and that's a bif if, I think) they really make Indy 4 I hope Ford will find his lost self again.

16. qui-gon-kim

qui-gon-kim Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    Has anyone seen Lost in Translation yet? I've heard it's supposedly based on an event in Sofia Coppola's life and some of the characters are based on real people (Cameron Diaz, Spike Jonze) but the kicker is this: Bill Murray's character is supposed to Harrison Ford! Murray's character does share some traits with Ford (reserved in public, going through a midlife crisis, has been kinda down in his acting career).

17. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    I've seen Lost in Translation (just read my sig, hehehe), and although it's true that Sofia Coppola had the idea for the film when she saw a japanese commercial starring Harrison Ford, Bob Harris' character doesn't look like Ford at all. The character was written for Bill Murray, and Sofia Coppola said she wouldn't have made the film without him.

18. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    >It is possible he thinks he is too important to attend tv shows and awards.<

he is too important. he is greatness.

>he always says stuff like.. "it's just another day at the office" like if it really did'nt matter..he makes it seem like the fans make it more than it really is.<

fans do make it more than it is. acting is his job, it's what he does for a living, not for a vacation.

who cares waht he's doing off screen? i certainly don't. i was flipping through the channels earlier and paused on "celebrities uncensored". who watches this stuff. they were showing somebody smoking. ooooh, i'm so fascinated. why are people interested in this?

19. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    [image=http://ubercolo.net/nerual/pics/snowday/800/snowball.800.jpg]

20. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004
    [image=://i.xanga.com/bOoGeRbOy/snowball.jpg]

21. Renderking_Fisk

Renderking_Fisk Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2002
    Count me with EmpireForever and all the other Ford-Fans. Mr. Ford is one of the most influential Actors in our time? he?s great but doesn?t let it go to his head.

Well, we don?t give a crap about you as a man or as a human being? we just care about the characters you play and are you going to keep at it?

That?s the crappy attitude I get from a lot of interviews from the interviewers. Ford comes off as a guy who (like my dad and men of his generation) can?t stand nonsense and have low Bullvine Excrement threshold. Have feather-weights like Katie on The Today Show ask you the same dam?n stupid questions over and over again about your job then get back to me.

Fans seem to think that celebrities own them everything? ?If it wasn?t for me seeing every movie you?ve ever been in a thousand times, you would be hammering nails into pieces of wood for the rest of your lives. Gimme Gimme Gimme!? Mr. Ford enjoys what he does, but he doesn?t owe you anything more then a good performance that you paid to see.

I'm sorry, but on a personal note I can?t take someone?s criticisms of Ford seriously when they have a link to Michael Jackson?s official website. Ford in his advanced age is more of a man then Jackson ever was? and what ever manhood Jackson had was discarded by his plastic surgeon? thrown aside like stale cold-cuts for the dogs to eat.

Jackson is a disgrace and embarrassment to anyone who?s ever worn a fedora.

22. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    I don't have a problem with what Harrison does, infact if I ever was to get famous, I think that I would be just like him. I'm already a very private person. I spend a majority of my time at home(when I'm not working). The only time I ever go out is if there is a new movie out (either in the theater or to buy), to the local theater every month to watch a play or to hang out with my friend when he isn't busy with school or his girl-friend. I only have one really close friend and 2 other friends that have somay friends that I hardly ever see them now. I don't do things to get noticed and seek attention (that's my brother and father), I do things that interest me and help me become better at what ever I'm trying to accomplish (right now it's trying to write a script for a couple movie ideas I have).

So in closing to the story of my pathetic life, I think Harrison is a great actor (one of my favorites)and can see why he does the things he does. Like stated above, he loves acting and sees it as his job, while some fans always see him as the character and not Harrison. I know it's hard to see famous entertainers and just see them as normal people, I always feel stupid when I meet some famous bands backstage. My brother can just talk to them like he is a friend or something and I just freeze up and can't say anything.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I have seen the DVDs
    "Just another day at the office"
    is a joke he says while pretending to staple his hat to his head. A joke nothing more. It did not seem like he was making indy out to be a nothing thing.
    In fact he stated on the DVDs that he did not mind signing up for three films because the people working on the project were so great and the movies would come out so well.

-Seldon

24. Atticus

Atticus Jedi Padawan star 4

May 31, 2002
    He also said in an interview with Entertainment Weekly that Indiana Jones was his dream role.

25. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    If pretty much everyone in the world knew who you were and was always bugging you just because you've done your job well, you might get annoyed with it after a while, too. And like many have said, on IAS he was a lot more laid back. Besides, I personally love his sense of humour like he has in the Conan interview and all. Oh no, he doesn't try to be fake nice and happy. Give him a break. He's 62.

-sj loves kevin spacey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.