main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is Harrison Ford bitter about acting?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by homeless_jedi, Nov 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudalb

dudalb Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2001
    There is no doubt Harrison Ford has not been lucky at the box office lately.
    "What Lies Beneath" was his last really sucessful film.

However, to say that "The Fugitive" was his last big hit is wrong. In 1998 "Air Force One" was a huge hit for Ford, and gave him one of his best non Indy/Han lines "Get The Hell Off My Plane"!
    And "CLear and Present Danger" was a huge hit just a year after "The Fugitive".
    But Ford has been a poor judge of scripts lately, no doubt.

2. Friend_of_Skylark

Friend_of_Skylark Jedi Knight star 5

May 19, 2002
    I also say give the old guy a break. If I were him, I'd probably shy away from the public as much as possible too. At least he isn't constantly b****ing about fame and how much it sucks like a certain young star made by the SW phenomenon.

3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, the thing is, he doesn't really *need* to make blockbuster movies anymore. He has enough money and fame that you really couldn't top it. I just hope he really goes through with Indy IV for the sake of doing something he clearly wants to.

And, erm, the Air Force One line is just "Get off my plane" ;) But yes, that's an awesome, classic Harrison line.

-sj loves kevin spacey

4. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Off the top of my head, I think Air Force One was the last great Ford film.

5. BLUE-HARVEST

BLUE-HARVEST Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2004
    Okay, let's, for a second, compare two Star Wars actors: Ford and Hamill. Hamill has stayed "connected" to Star Wars through his appearances at events, his reprisal of Luke in the radio dramas, and his interviews. Ford, on the other hand, has done all in his power to get away from Star Wars and if he seemed enthusiastic during interviews and went to conventions and stuff, then it'd seem like he was embracing the Indy and Han Solo characters and that'd ruin his efforts to disance himself from the Lucas movies.

As far as the acting goes, I think that a lot of people in Hollywood secretly feel that way. "I mean, c'mon, people. So I'm an actor. So what? It isn't as big a deal as y'all're making it out to be!" I can see how it would be exasperating to them. In their minds, it really is "another day at the office." It isn't glamorous after a while. A lot of acting is drudgery. Perhaps Ford doesn't hide his feelings as well as everyone else does.

6. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I also say give the old guy a break. If I were him, I'd probably shy away from the public as much as possible too. At least he isn't constantly b****ing about fame and how much it sucks like a certain young star made by the SW phenomenon.

Who are we talking about?

Mark Hamill?
    Alec Guiness?

7. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

On the new OT DVD's there are a number of clips of Ford talking about SW in both the EMPIRE OF DREAMS documentary and also in the THE CHARACTERS OF STAR WARS segment. He seems cooperative, happy to talk about SW and George and while not all of his remarks are positive, he seems to bear no ill will toward it whatsoever. In fact, he seemed very grateful for what it did for his career.

8. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
    I did notice that.

If you look at the Indiana Jones dvd interview, he looks miserable and unhappy.

That was before his divorce.

9. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    Air Force One was definitely his last best film. Hollywood Homicide has horrible and didn't care for Six Days Seven Nights. For some reason, I fear Indy IV. Ford still acts well, but it's a new generation of Hollywood with fresh young actors taking the places. Hope he gets a few more good roles.

10. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The only time I've felt that HF has acted out a bit in interviews is when the interviewer starts asking questions about his personal life. And when he attempts to turn the subject away from his personal life, and the interviewer continues to press him about what he doesn't wish to speak about, that's when he usually starts cracking jokes, and will only discuss things that he feels comfortable with in discussing. I can't fault any person for doing that. Just because they're famous, I don't think that gives the public special rights to know every single thing about that person.

11. CBright7831

Mar 23, 2004
  12. Han_Solo_Fan_03

Han_Solo_Fan_03 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 17, 2005
    Harrison Ford just likes to have an opinion. Thats what I love about him. He's not afriad to criticize his movies, or disagree with the director. Thats one of the many things thst I love about him. Some people may find this as being grumpy or bitter. Its just saying whatever the hell you want to say,and not caring what other people think. As for the privacy thing, he wants to be famous, not a celebrity. I believe, thats what he is. Hes not going to put pictures of his kids all over Star magazine, he wants to keep a low profile. There are alot of famous peaople, who are not celebrites, like Robert DeNeiro, and Bob Dylan. Harrison Ford fits into a catergory, with that type of celebrity.

13. howardgarbo

howardgarbo Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    While Harrison has always been one of my favorite actors I must say that he seems to not care much anymore about picking quality scripts to work on. And yes, I agree that Air Force One was his last "good" film. Since then he's made nothing but clunkers though Six Days Seven Nights and K-19 weren't bad. I wish he could come back to his senses and start picking good projects to work on again. The same thing applies for Robert De Niro.

Indy 4 brings up images of Connery in Never Say Never Again (which I thought was awful). Harrison is no longer the same actor who played Indy and Spielberg is not the same director who directed the Indy movies. While I enjoyed Last Crusade, I felt that the series has run it's course and a 4th film set so many years later with a geriatric Indy is not an appetizing prospect. In conclusion, I really don't care if Indy 4 is made or not.

14. DarthTrooper

DarthTrooper Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2005
    First, i would like to say I love the trilogy of Indiana Jones [not including Young Indiana Jones>didnt care for them much]

But it disapoints me another is coming out, I hate to say it,but there is just as high chance as any other movie it will be a terrible failure! [Note the words THERE IS A CHANCE]

Also that takes away the whole trilogy thing,which I feel makes Indiana Jones cool.

Lets continue....Harrison Ford is 64/65 years old,To me,he looks pretty darn good for his age,but that doesnt mean his energy and fitness is the same.
    I'm sure he would like to rest some from the acting....

If IJ4 turns into a big hit, then it should be by far his last movie,so he can savor it!

15. Lord_Titan

Lord_Titan Jedi Youngling

Feb 28, 2005
    I think he's just a very private person.

16. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    this is what makes harrison harrison.

I'll always like him no matter what crappy movie he puts out.

i think he might resesnt his character han solo cause i believe he said he didn't want the rotj to end the way it did with the whole dancing scene and he wanted han to get killed off.

lets just hope indy 4 is good.

17. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I loved the banter in the Inside the Actor's Studio segment, but he seems like a very private man who wants to keep some parts of his life private. That's his right, and I can fully understand him getting peeved with journalists who don't respect that.

18. Ch1cago88

Ch1cago88 Jedi Youngling

Jun 21, 2004
    Harrison Ford is still coming out with the blockbuster movies. He is going to be staring in GodSpeed and The Wrong Element both are suppose to be huge hits from what I hear. GodSpeed "takes place on an international space station, where a life-threatening situation develops that could kill all the inhabitants on the station." The Wrong element is with Ford who "will play the security chief of a global bank whose family is kidnapped. He's then asked to topple his own security safeguards and steal $37 million from the bank in order to save his family. He must stop the kidnappers and foil a plan they've hatched that will make him appear guilty of embezzlement."

So I think Ford is far from his last blockbuster IMO.

I also found this on the net.
    http://www.raunes.com/

19. Rockabilly_Jedi

Rockabilly_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    Like most of us on this thread, I have the utmost respect for Mr. Ford and all his endeavors. Doing even the smallest film is hard work for any actor, young or old, and when a project you have devoted months of your life to goes up in flames at the box office or onstage or wherever, it really hurts. I'm in HS and I hope to someday become an actor. I've "starred" in some pretty decent plays in my time, and in a couple of stinkers, but either way you don't wanna be taking crap for your work because, as eays as it may look to the unexperienced, it is a great undertaking even if the crowd and so-called "critics" denounce it like a Puritan at the roast of Jeff Foxworthy, you know?<<<poor humor, forgive me....I can sympathize with Mr. Ford because, as some of you have said, he probably does get bombarded with the same old questions day after day by strangers who don't really appreciate his talent, they are just enamoured with his characters-of-old like Han Solo (whom I personally always believed to be an interesting character study). Even when people/fans try to compliment you by remarking on something you did in the past, you can become overwhelmed and agitated. He knows people enjoy those films and those characters but in actuality he's probably really tired of hearing about it, but he undoubtedly must also be very pleased that people continue to hold him in high regard. Myself, I sport a pompadour (Elvis Presley style hair). I have had my pompadour since the 7th grade and believe me when I say that a 13 year old running around with 3+ inch tall Elvis hair (predominant between the years of 1954 and 1963) attracts all kinds of attention. Again, I sport the pompadour to this day (out of love for the 1950s and the overall look of the style) and it still draws a lot of attention (not as much as it did at my first day of HS, of course, but still ;) ). People drive by while I'm on the street or in the store and all I hear is "Elvis" or "Fonzie" or "James Dean", etc. It's flattering being compared to those Greats (whom I idolize), but it's also a burden because people can't help but comment on it, and when your hair gets messed up all you hear is "hey, Elvis, the hair is messed up..gotta fix it." People forget your name and just start calling you Elvis (and this goes for family as well...and when the girl you like starts calling you Elvis instead of your name, you really get P.O.'d), and, while flattering again, it really starts to bother you when all people see when they look at you is Elvis.
    I share that with you because that's how Mr. Ford must feel, all the time hearing "hey Han," or "hey, Indy". And when he's in a movie that isn't as good as those of his past he probably hears something like "hey, Han, that last one kinda bombed...you'll do better next time" from all the critics. You try not to let it get to you, but it does, and it can start to show when you are confronted in public by someone probing you for answers that you are tired of giving.
    When it comes to his personal life, I don't think any of us would wanna be talking to some CNN reporter about our girlfriends or boyfriends or husbands or wives or children or family, etc., only to have our secrets shared with millions of strangers. We, as people, and especially in America, are entitled to our privacy, and that privacy should not be stripped away from a person simply because they expose a small part of themselves to the people by playing a made up character in a movie.

20. jedi-hungrylikespie

jedi-hungrylikespie Jedi Youngling

Jun 12, 2005
    Does anybody realy know ford in person? i know this guy whoose uncle worked in ilm studios and worked with ford to create some of the special efects of starwars. He still acociates with ford, and his nefew says that from what he hears ford is now a stuck up old geezer.[face_laugh]

21. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    Yeah, because Harrison Ford would be kickin' it with ILM guys. [face_tired]

22. Rockabilly_Jedi

Rockabilly_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 15, 2005
    HAHAHA...I think StarDude just kicked your @$$!

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Is he bitter?

No, that is his sense of humor--it just seems like some people lack to ability to understand this basic humor.

-Seldon

24. marathonjedi

marathonjedi Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2005
    you would be pissed to if you were in your 60's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.