main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is hasbro so stupid?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by starwarsagent, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    are those guys dumb or something? slow perhaps?

I go to every store and see the same figures. yoda's anakin's, artoo, etc, etc. you know the peg warmers.

and then I figured it out! THEY MAKE MORE OF THOSE! AND LESS OF OTHER FIGURES!!

WHY CANT THEY PRODUCE AND EQUAL AMOUNT OF FIGURES? DOES IT TAKE A GENIUS TO DO THAT?

WHY THEN MAKE 3,000,000 YODAS BUT ONLY MAKE 900 RED GUARDS. WHY MAKE 2,000,000 DARTH SIDIOUS! BUT ONLY MAKE 1,000,000 DARTH VADERS?

see the problem. if they made the same amount of each figure and shipped in the box, the same amounts we wouldnt have a problem! who does the math?

why does every box just have one lets say, clonetrooper? and 5 battledroids? etc. it doesnt make sense and its evil. does it cost more to do other figures, or particular figures? whats the difference?

lets have the same amount of each figure on one box and the end of problem, now is that hard?

gosshhhh!!

sorry, im frustrated right now! because they make it so difficult! damn!

2. spoleweski

spoleweski Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2005
    Isn't that how they make certian items into collectables? They only make a few of them? But yeah, it would be nice if everyone had the opportunity to get what they want...

3. darcphoenyx

darcphoenyx Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    The funny thing about this rant is that this time around Hasbro did produce an equal number of figures.

Just as many Darth Sidious figures shipped as Darth Vader or Yoda for April 2nd. The first Collection 1 & Collection 2 cases had 1 of each of 12 different figures. That's just a simple fact that any of us who spent that weekend opening and looking through cases can confirm.

What you currently see on the shelf is the result of what has sold so far.

In fact, over time Hasbro plans to release more Darth Vaders than anything else if you look at what is coming in the refresh waves. Those waves haven't hit yet, but will in time. Eventually we'll be tripping over Vaders I'm afraid. (Of course, at some stores in my area I already am.)

The Red Guard is a bit of an exception, since he's a variant. There were as many Red & Blue Guards total as any other figure in that assortment. It just seems that there were more blue than red in the inital waves shipped here in the states. My guess is the refresh waves there will include more red than blue and solve the problem.

Once again...the figures haven't even been out for two weeks yet...just try and relax and enjoy the ride. Until the movie hits and we get to the end of May we have no idea what figures will and won't be moving off the shelves as kids come to get toys.

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    screw variants. screw the collectibility of figures! what if some kid wants a red/blue guard? obviously hasbro didnt make enough! OTHERWISE IT WOULDNT BE RARE!! ANY WHY LIMIT THE LAVA TARGET VADER AND THE HOLOGRAPHIC YODA? EXPLAIN WHY? THEY DONT HAVE THE MONEY TO MAKE ENOUGH FOR EVERYONE?

COME ON! THEY ARE JUST PLAYING EVIL GAMES, THEY DONT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE!

5. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    Hasbro made plenty of the guards, they just haven't hit the shelves yet. Again, excercise some patience. As I've said in other threads, collecting is a marathon, not a sprint.

Exclusives are limited because they are a way to encourage us to visit certain stores. If they were always available then we wouldn't rush off to Target or TRU or what have you. Hasbro does these because the stores want them, they want something to make them stand out as special. So Hasbro isn't solely to blame for the exclusives.

6. jruppert

jruppert Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2003
    its called marketing. once you graduate high school and get to college take a class in product marketing, all your questions will be answered.

its not Hasbro's fault that YOU can't get the figures that YOU want....

7. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    The Lava Vader and Holo Yoda were created by Hasbro for large clients of theirs like Toys R Us and Target order to get the sales of ROTS merchandise off to a running start. In the case of the Holo Yoda figure you had to buy $35 worth of merchandise to get one. Lets say that each store has 100 of them that means they had $3500 in sales. If they just sold Yoda on his own sales amounts whould have been much lower as people would have just bought the Yoda and left the store.

Now multiply $3500 x the number of TRU stores in the US
    to see the sales done last Sunday.

Promotions like this are done for all sorts of merchandise as a way of getting people in the door and spending their money.

8. MatamFowas

MatamFowas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    I should also say to any collectors out there that there are some low number figures that are starting to become less and less seen on the racks of TRU, Target and Wal-Mart. They are: Clone Trooper #6, Padme #19, Count Dooku #13, Bail Organa #15, Battle Droid #17, C3PO #18, Shaak Ti #21 and Mon Mothma #24. So if you don't have these by now, you might want to consider picking them up. And OF COURSE both of the royal guards and anyone over #32 are still scarce.

I would also seriously consider getting #15, 23, 24, 19 and 33+ 'cause those are the rarities that are exclusively for Ep. III and, in the future, will be harder to come by.

9. Evil_Otto

Evil_Otto Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 28, 2004
    Why is hasbro so stupid?

They're not as utterly stupid as Mattel are. I used to collect, or try to collect MOTU and boy, you have no idea how lucky you are until you see the crap way Mattel produced and marketed this line! The figures themselves were great, but try millions of He-Men and Skeletors, and just a small sprinkling of secondary characters on the shelves. And don't talk about female figures, 'cause you couldn't find 'em...ANYWHERE! Adverts were non-existent and the cartoon was moved all round the time schedules and put on at crazy hours when kids would be asleep!

10. _General_Grievous_

_General_Grievous_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 1, 2005
    "Patience is a virtue......"

It's just no mine......Later

11. Satyrgreen

Satyrgreen Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    I'm with you Otto, I collected 2002 Masters of the Universe too, and it was the WORST figure ratio i can ever remember.

To be totally honest with you Starwarsagent, this ROTS run is a dream compared to most action figure lines in the way of figure ratios, it's just that you are competing with everyone who is a Star Wars toy collector at the moment, the Yos just came out 10 DAYS AGO! Give it time.

12. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Yep, as others have mentioned its funny that after fans had been asking for something like this once we get it we just complain more.

I still think its funny that Diamond is selling the 1:1 figure case as an "exclusive" :confused:

13. rebelwookiee

rebelwookiee Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    these discussions crack me up! this friday night, the figures will have officially been available for 2 weeks! that's all! plus, hasbro actually is shipping equal amounts this time. isn't collecting fun?

14. Evil_Otto

Sep 28, 2004
    I'm with you Otto, I collected 2002 Masters of the Universe too, and it was the WORST figure ratio i can ever remember.

I'm really going on what all the US fans have said on He-Man.org. From what they've said Mattel have single-handedly destroyed the entire franchise, and that's after all the pleas from the fans to smarten up their case ratios (they couldn't get much dumber!), but Mattel refused to listen. Even now they're blaming the kids and the fans for the line's demise. Now how arrogant, conceited and utterly stupid can you get! [face_monkey]

As for here in the UK, the cases have been a bit more sensible, although we still hardly got any of the female characters, especially Teela. The cartoon was also put on crack of dawn for some reason. :confused:

But the one other thing that I've found out about Mattel is that they're also liars. They said that they'd keep the line open exclusively for foreign markets if the line proved popular abroad. The line was a BIG success here in the UK, in Europe, and as far as I can tell all across the world, but Mattel still scraped the line. [face_liarliar] :mad:

15. MatamFowas

MatamFowas Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 28, 2004
    Also, I pose a question to those who say that the higher figures will be released in time. If that's so, then how come Amazon, TRU.com, etc. all don't at least have the option to pre-order the #33+? If the higher ones are out (obviously they are, 'cause there are loads of people on here saying they've gotten them at stores) then how come you can't order them on these Web sites?

16. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    First of amazon.com and TRU.com are the exact same website...second they rarely ever have basic figures available online except for a few that they can't seem to sell. The same goes for walmart.com and target.com. If you'll notice they probably don't have much of the #1-24 range either, despite the fact that those are readily available at their retail stores.

Not seeing the figures on those sites means nothing...because the same would've been true of upcoming OTC figures back in the fall, or any other line. They simply don't sell much thru their websites.

The usual dedicated online toy retailers like entertainmentearth.com and others (who mostly sell figures by the case) are the best route to go for buying figures on the internet...and you will find #33-36 there with no real problem. Just as has been the case for every other wave.

17. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    All good things to those who wait.

So you don't get everything before the movie comes out. So what. The less you find now, the more you can look forward to later. That's one of the joys of collecting: the thrill of finding and obtaining something you've wanted for a long time.

So, sit back, relax, and enjoy this roller coaster ride called life that we all get to take part in. :D

There's my bit of philosophy for the day. Have at it.

18. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    hey starwarsagent what'sup,

a couple of things.

first, idiots go through at midnight and grab 10 or more royal guards. that's why there are none.

second, hasbro has revised the case breakdowns so that there are more higher # figs in with the lower # figs so there are uneven numbers and instead of waiting 2 months now we have #'s 32 and up.

19. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I always use the Resaurus example. A few years ago, they made AWESOME Street Fighter figures, probably some of the best sculpts I've ever seen. Akuma was absolutely impossible to find and Ken, Ryu and Blanka were very rare, but every store had tons of Remy, Necro, Cammy, Chun-Li and Vega. They shipped one Akuma per box of twenty, or something like that according to an employee at Electronics Boutique.

About a year later they went bankrupt. Now you can buy an Akuma on ebay for the low low price of about fifty dollars, instead of ten. Now THAT'S an awesome marketing strategy - DON'T provide people with what they demand! These are the same people who offer great sandwiches for a limited time, hoping I will come back and get something else in six months (that's why I can't get a raspberry limeade at Sonic anymore, it was a limited time.) Collectible nothing, these guys want to make money, THEY need to take some marketing classes, or maybe ECON 1201. I hope those Resaurus guys are doing their Chapter 11 paperwork and looking at their precious limited ultra-collectible MOC Akuma figures while KayBee toys keeps marking down Necros from 9.99 to 4.99.

As for you MOTU guys, I understand your plight. I didn't buy them, but I think I saw Stratos, Lockjaw, Triclops like once at TRU. I never even saw a Merman or Evil-lyn. But I DID see TONS of battle-armor, Ice-armor, Samurai-armor, spinning-action BS He-Man and Skeletor figures all over the place. I could have told those idiots that nobody would buy those.

And don't even get me started on the Vader Unleashed with the removable helmet. They are well over one hundred dollars on ebay. I guess it's too hard to make more of them, put them in packages, and ship them out. I mean, it's only worth the effort if you want to, you know, make a fortune.

20. darcphoenyx

Aug 12, 2001
    And don't even get me started on the Vader Unleashed with the removable helmet.

Not only was that figure released at a time when the Unleashed line wasn't doing so well...it was also passed over by many collectors who already had the original (and nearly identical) version...including myself.

So that's a bit of a bad example there.

21. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    So it didn't sell well 3 years ago. It's selling for over 100 dollars on ebay now, instead of 15 dollars. I wouldn't say that they didn't sell well, because I never saw one of them in the store, I had to buy one off of ebay a few months after that line ended. They put out almost the exact same sculpt (sans the head) two months ago with new packaging art, so it's not like they can't produce more of them.

Let's say you made widgets 3 years ago, and sold them for 15 dollars each. They all sold out. Now, you look up your widgets on ebay and see that they are selling for 100 dollars each, with about 17 bids on them. You have all the materials you need to make them. Do you make more of them?

22. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    Another reason Hasbro makes more Anakin's, Obi-Wan's, Yoda's than say a Aayla or Sasse Tinn is that children will buy a Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin and will skip the Aayla and Sasse Tinn. And we collectors will buy both.

23. Darth_Spiros

Darth_Spiros Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 3, 2005
    Yup, that's it. Hasbro has the dubious task of predicting which figures will be most popular and thus make them more money. More people (read this as kids) are going to want to more well-known characters such as Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Darth Vader. So initial waves are going to be heavy with those characters. I'm sure collectors account for a good amount of sales, but to stay in business, companies have to cater to the proposed demographic (kids, not collectors). I saw a kid at Target beg his mom for a C-3PO figure when there were at least 4 clone troopers on the pegs as well. Kids have different tastes than collectors and Hasbro has to think of the bottom line, before fan service.

So take a chill pill and have some patience, you'll find your precious figures. Once the movie hits, I'm sure more and more kids will be clamoring for the figures you're whining about there being too many of right now.

24. JEDI-MASTER28

JEDI-MASTER28 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2005
    I actually think the figures will be HARDER to come by, as the movie gets closer and closer. I looked through FIVE unopened boxes of figures tonight at Wal-Mart that were waiting to be put on the shelves, and I only found two AT-TE Tank Gunners and two Blue Guards. The only others I saw that were past #32 were Polis Massan(one), Vader's Medical Droid(one), and one Mas Amedda. Out of FIVE boxes! That's crazy!

I did see alot of Jedis and 3POs, but not much else. I don't even want to think what it will be like when 41-56 hit, but I know I'm gonna camp out at the store until they are put out so I can get all of the ones I need at one time. Screw this ROTS "famine". Two weeks old or not.

25. Evil_Otto

Sep 28, 2004
    As for you MOTU guys, I understand your plight. I didn't buy them, but I think I saw Stratos, Lockjaw, Triclops like once at TRU. I never even saw a Merman or Evil-lyn. But I DID see TONS of battle-armor, Ice-armor, Samurai-armor, spinning-action BS He-Man and Skeletor figures all over the place. I could have told those idiots that nobody would buy those.

For some crazy reason Mattel saw fit to spend thousands of $$$ on sculpting and articulating the female figures and then decided to not release them in any quantity! They had the very odd idea that boys didn't want to play with female figures. They also believe that kids don't want secondary characters and prefer to only buy dozens of He-Men and Skeletors instead! (???) Well, if that's true then things must have certainly changed since I was a kid, 'cause all I wanted were new characters from both Star Wars and MOTU. I also had absolutely NO trouble with buying Princess Leia, Evil Lynn and Teela.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.