main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is it called Attack Of The Clones?

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Why is it called Attack Of The Clones?

Because of that big scene at the end of the movie where the clones like, you know, attack.

2. rsterling78

rsterling78 Jedi Knight star 5

May 26, 2002
    I think it's part of a theme:

In The Phantom Menace, the threat posed by the Sith took the form of a phantom menace.

In Star Wars: A New Hope, Luke Skywalker offered a new hope for the good guys and we got to see a war take place among the stars.

In The Empire Strikes Back the Empire struck back.

In Return of the Jedi a Jedi returned.

3. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    Nice one, rsterling78 ;).

4. Mortimer_Nerdly

Mortimer_Nerdly Jedi Master star 5

Sep 19, 2002
    They probably should have called the movie Attack of the Punk-Lovers! :p

Mortimer_Nerdly! :cool:

5. jariten

jariten Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 23, 2000
    and for those who dont know whats going to happen in the third movie, it gives them the hint that maybe these clones arnt all theyre cracked up to be. Its good foreshadowing.

6. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    Its still not that obvious that the clones attack. As we can see, yes, they DO attack, however, its such a minor detail of the movie, I wonder if a different title wouldn't have been better.

7. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Its still not that obvious that the clones attack."

I thought it was pretty obvious to me and my friends when I saw Episode II. I don't think it is a minor detail either. I think you're just arguing for the sake of it and will attempt to post anything negative about Attack of the Clones.

Think positive. I dare you to post a positive topic about Episode II. ;)

8. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    That'll be the day. :p

9. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Its still not that obvious that the clones attack. As we can see, yes, they DO attack...

So was it obvious or not?

10. Charlie_Martel

Charlie_Martel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2001
    The clones are a sign that the beginning of the end to peace, justice, democracy (the Republic) has begun. It's like an "attack" on the stability of the galaxy.

11. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Because of that big scene at the end of the movie where the clones like, you know, attack.

LOL! That's what I assumed.

12. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I dont see how what Charlie Martel said is a "minor detail".

13. xgeoff

xgeoff Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2003
    yeah, personally I agree with you. I think the title doesn't work. Certainly the *attack* at the end was the climax of the film, and probably the film's most important event, but in reality the Clones are just a tool of the Jedi/Republic.

It is analagous to "Attack of the Sword", or something like that. I think a better title was in order.

14. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Why was it called Attack of the Clones? I will go in order.

The Phantom Menace was Called that because a Sith Menace is Leading the sente down to Hell.

Attack of the Clones was Called that because the Clones are Stromtroopers.

A New was called that because it was about Luke who would be the new choosen one.

The Empire strikes Back was called that because After the Death Star BLows up, The Empire wants Revenge.

Return of the Jedi was called that Because When Luke came to recuse Han,Leia, and CHeiwe then came back to Yoda.

Episode 3 title you will find out soon.

15. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I met to say Luke not Cheiwe going back to Dagaboh.

16. Trojan_Sock

Trojan_Sock Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 27, 2003
    "Do I have a point?"

Technically, yes. But you are really stretching it.

There were clones, and they did attack. Lucas isn't making a film on military maneuvers.

"however, its such a minor detail of the movie, I wonder if a different title wouldn't have been better."

But a major concept in the saga. It had about as much screen time as Luke's training in ESB, but his training was essential nonetheless to ESB and ROTJ.

The war with the separatists is very important, and it will be concluded in Ep.III. The fact that Lucas chose not to show the entire war is a different matter altogether. The clones are very important too, since it shows the beginnings of the stormtroopers, which are vital to Palpatine's grab for power.

17. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    The clones do attack; they weren't sent to defend the Jedi, they were sent to stop the Seperatists. When he went to get them, Yoda didn't know Mace's Jedi would be ambushed. It's the Seperatists who are defending, not the clones.

18. xgeoff

xgeoff Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2003
    I think Yoda probably had a very good idea that the Jedi would need some help. Obi-Wan's message seemed pretty ominous and Mace had to scrape together what Jedi were available.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Because it SOUNDS COOL.

nah, I'm one of the few that still don't like that title!

or that movie for that matter! :/

20. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    TIGER CRANE FIST (great name BTW)-- You are right!

It's the ONLY reason! GL think it's a cool name and a tribute to all of the "Attack of..." movies.

The same reason Count Dooku has his name. GL thought it would be cool to give C. Lee a name similar to Count Dracula. Not because Dooku is Japanese for "poison."

"The Clones attack the Separatists in the name of defending the Republic."

Now that's a veyr original explanation.

Why make reasons that don't exist? As Yodaschum keeps explaining, the clones do NOT attack. They are on a rescue mission. The entire operation is put into place because the Jedi learn that Obi Wan has been captured. They are not coming to attack at all. vanquishing your enemy after your POWs have been moved to safety does NOT constitute an attack. The enemy is still hostile, mobile and heavily armed. The rules of military engagement are available online for anyone who has questions.

21. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    But the clones do attack. They could have swooped down and rescued everyone and left. Instead, they kept fighting, attacking the droid army.

22. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    "Why make reasons that don't exist? As Yodaschum keeps explaining, the clones do NOT attack. They are on a rescue mission. The entire operation is put into place because the Jedi learn that Obi Wan has been captured. They are not coming to attack at all. vanquishing your enemy after your POWs have been moved to safety does NOT constitute an attack. The enemy is still hostile, mobile and heavily armed. The rules of military engagement are available online for anyone who has questions."

As if Lucas cares...

23. Darth Kruel

Darth Kruel Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The Clones Attacked on Geonosis. That's why the movie is called Attack of the Clones. It was the perfect title because that's how the clone war started.

24. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I tend to think of the title as a method of foreshadowing, because as we all know, the clones will attack eventually. Both the Jedi and the people of the Republic who resist Palpatine's regime.

It's all how you look at it.

25. Trojan_Sock

Feb 27, 2003
    Ep.III - Attack of the Clones: Part II :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.