main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why is it that....

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Otto_den_Ktulu, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Otto_den_Ktulu

Otto_den_Ktulu North Ridge Event Coordinator star 5

Jan 19, 2002
    Why is it that all these new rock bands that come out (ie: TrustCompany, Lost Prophets, Switched, Hoobastank, ect) have CD's with 11-14 songs, but the CD's are only half an hour to 45 minutes long?
    It's blasphimus I tell you!
    I don't want to pay 15 bucks for only half an hour of music.
    You get a good Metallica CD, the CD only has 8 or 9 songs on it, but it's a good hour long!
    Someone please tell me why this is? It makes no sence to me.

Does it to you?

2. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    Yeah, those jerks trying to gyp us. Bugs the crap out of me. And it's not really the bands- they have lots of songs and just choose the best to go on the album. It's those crooked record labels trying to get more cash out of us. I mean, think about this new Linkin Park cd. It's just a peice of crap remix and it's getting all this publicity. Consumers just get generally screwed over these days...

3. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    I know! It's like Limp Bizkit's Old New Songs thing.

MAKE NEW SONGS

I just wanna kick em sometimes. I used to like Linkin Park, now they're sell outs. All about the money. It should be all about the music!

All about the music!

4. DarthBeer

DarthBeer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 2002
    i know i have a short attention span, but geesh, id like to know that i just listened to a song instead of saying "what was that? was that a noise i heard?" radio stations dont like to play 4+ min. songs, i dont know why.

i also used to like linkin park, when they first came out, just like 3 doors down and nickleback. until i heard their songs on EVERY SINGLE RADIO STATION!! bands just seem way cooler when their unknown anyways. whenever i hear what used to be a great song on a top 40 station, i just shake my head and tune in to the local indie/modern rock station, to wait for the next band to be overplayed and relegated to the top 40 stations.

5. Otto_den_Ktulu

Jan 19, 2002
    Are you following me Chris? ;) :p

I say we make a petition, and send copies to the recording companies :D

6. DarthBeer

DarthBeer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 11, 2002
    it would seem that way wouldnt it chris.

thats a good idea, but money talks and you know what walks

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    What are you on about? a) If you buy these CDs your screwed either way, wether it's an hour or 10 minutes cuz the music isn't good. (atleast IMO, come on, hoobastank, can you say Incubus clone?) b) old music also had CD's of half an hour, the first Ramones CD, a classic, only 29 minutes long.

The quality of the music is what's important, not the length, who cares if you get 5 hours of music, if the music sucks its still worthless.

8. Jedi knight Pozzi

Jedi knight Pozzi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2000
    It's the fashion.
    If you try to have music tracks that last for the lenght of a Pink Floyd song throughout the whole album, then it's considered musical ****ing.

The Sex Pistol are partly to blame. Everyone is trying to copy the lenght of their songs, as if to say that's integrity. (sp?)

9. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    Depending on the record company, some artists aren't given the freedom to do longer songs, let alone have much musical creativity. Some of these bands are pulling off short CDs because of that.

Others either don't know how, have the skill or don't care to write long songs. Some just want to get their point across and be done with it, nothing fancy.

10. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    This thread has turned away from dicussion, so let me try to steer it back. :)

I do agree with you, I've always hated the fact that you could pay 15 dollars for an hour long cd. But like Carosel said, It depends on the recording company and it also depends on the store. I always though a cd should be 1.00 per song. Yeah I know, keep dreaming. What do you feel should be done?

11. RidingMyCarousel

RidingMyCarousel Jedi Master star 6

Feb 20, 2002
    With the future and all of the music industry all ever so guessable, it's hard to say. A CD costs something along the lines of a few cents to make, and I think a half dollar to put the music on. I've seen my friends get signed to record deals, and most of the time they're lucky if they get 25% of the actual profits that come in from CDs.

Honestly, I've stopped so much buying CDs these days. The bands I used to listen to have turned to what I don't want to hear, and the new music just doesn't interest me at all. If I hear a song on the radio I like, I download it. Plain and simple (I figure that if a song is played on the radio and is free for us to hear there, why the heck not have it on my computer?). I only buy a CD if I find an artist I really enjoy.

But honestly, Iwish, I used to think that we did pay a dollar per track a few years back. But, if you think about it, a few stores sell new releases from unknown bands for about 7-8$ (US currency).

And now, with musical downloads and some companies selling CDs for you to download, the actual price for the music (the entire CD to download, not to buy) is sometimes 4-5$. This doesn't make much sense, considering for 10$ more I could own the CD. But then again, the smarter thing to do would be download the music, pay 1/3 the cost of a CD, burn yourself the music onto a CD, then find the cover online, print it out and make yourself a jewel case. But then again, the industry cashes in on us... Most of us are too lazy to burn the CD and copy everything to make our own Jewel case, so we end up paying 15$ for the store's versions. And another thing being, not all record companies offer CDs to be downloaded for money, either.

12. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    The Sex Pistol are partly to blame. Everyone is trying to copy the lenght of their songs, as if to say that's integrity. (sp?)

Have you ever tried to check how long Elvis's songs were? or Little Richard for that matter?

I don't see what you people are all complaining about. I just bought "the stooges" and the entire CD is about half an hour, want to know when it was made? 1968. What matters is the music NOT the length.

13. Obi-Kedobi

Obi-Kedobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    Why do you all care about the length of the song? it's all about the quality. The White Stripes "Fell in love with a girl" is a great song. Most of the strokes album is fantastic and the vines have some great short songs. I'd rather have short songs that i can enjoy then repetative, 15 minute songs that are just made for the sake of making it long.

14. DarthNut

DarthNut Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 1, 1999
    Back in the days of records (not that I was alive those days) albums lasted, on average, 40 - 45 minutes. I don't see anything wrong bands making shorter CDs. As stated before, all that matters is the quality.

DarthNut,
    the nuttiest guy around.

15. gwaernardel

gwaernardel Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Either way you're getting screwed. If they recorded the CD's in MP3 format instead of the format they use now you could get about 140 songs on a CD.

16. DARTHPIGFEET

DARTHPIGFEET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2001
    The problem is that bands all sound the same. I can't tell the difference from all these bands. They all sound the same and none of them have a distinct sound to them. Also there is just too much lack of talent out there anyway. Also I would like to add that some of the best songs are not 4 minute songs rather 2 and half minute songs. Sure I don't believe in paying 16.99 for a CD which is only 45 minutes long.

17. Qui-Gon Zero

Qui-Gon Zero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 1999
    This may be a bit off topic, but I think that it's kinda of funny that I can purchase an entertaining DVD, which will provide at least an hour an a half of entertainment, at the same price of a CD. Of course, I'm going to purchase a DVD of a movie that I've enjoyed previously, so there's no mystery as to whether or not I'm going to enjoy it. CD's are a bit more of a gamble to me. There have certainly been times where I've purchased a CD that I wish I hadn't, but I've never bought a DVD that I didn't like. In a wierd kinda way, I feel that CDs should be a bit cheaper. I'd deffinately buy more CDs if thier cost averaged between 8 and 9 dollars. I'm always more compelled to buy a DVD because I feel that they will provide the most entertainment, and this is coming from a big music fan.

18. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    I buy CDs for 10? regulary. While the only DVD I ever bought was the LOTR DVD and that one cost me 27?.

19. Darth_Tayanvo

Darth_Tayanvo Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    Another thing is, most of the songs sound the same. The bands are becoming more and more repetitive, less and less innovative.

20. Tupolov

Tupolov Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Well, seeing as how there are about 10,000 of them, I don't see how it is too hard to do.

21. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    its all about money now. the new fad is remix cds now and live cds.
    artists complain about file sharing but i don't download cds of bands i like i buy them, the stuff i download is music i can't find anymore.

if the artists cd only has one good song on it, i'm not forkin 20 bucks over when i can just download the one song....can you hear me will smith!

22. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Oh great, there's less talent an invovative people out there? Stupid. There's alot more talent out there then 20 years ago. But for some reason they're not on the Radio or MTV.

If you want good music, LOOK FOR IT. Don't expect it to come to you.

23. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    If books were made the same way CD's are made, then they'd be just under 200 pages long, and a book where three or four chapters were decent and the rest were crap would be considered awesome.

24. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

Oct 28, 2000
    Oh! you mean like the NJO books? (cheap stab! ;) )

Anyway, what the hell are you talking about? A CD with 3/4 decent songs is not considered awsome.

25. Darth Dradus

Darth Dradus Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 9, 2000
    You guys want some nice long songs.. check out the new OPETH:Deliverence .. man so heavy..so good. The Average song length is about 9 minutes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.