main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Why Is It Wrong For Watto To Have Slaves, Yet You Turn A Blind Eye To Qui Gon's Enslavement Of JJB

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    The hypocrisy of this board never ceases to amaze me. You people are always so quick to knock Watto and call him a dirty slaver but you turn a blind eye to Qui Gon's oppression. This guy is a Jedi knight, he is supposed to set an example. yet it's quite obvious that he relishes having that poor naive frogman Jar Jar, bonded to him. Jar Jar had a life debt to pay Qui Gon. This meant that somewhere down the line he would have to save Qui Gon's life. It did not mean that he was Qui Gon's property to be ordered around and exploited.

At least with Watto, slavery was perfectly legal on tatooine. So you can't realy fault him. He is well within the law and as a inhabitant of Tatooine it's his right to own another sentient being. What's Qui Gon's excuse? The republic is strictly anti-slavery. Qui Gon should have known better. Just look at that scene again where he tell's Boss Nass that Jar Jar's life belongs to him, it's just sickening to see a Jedi Master gleefuly peddeling in flesh. Shame on all of you that would turn a blind eye to the plight of Jar Jar. How can you hate a character so much that you would enjoy seeing him serve in bondage to another man.

I suppose someone is going to show up and say that Qui Gon originally didn't want anything to do with Jar Jar. And that's true, why not only does he not want anything to do with him but it's quite clear that he loathes him. The disgust is written all over his face. But once he comes before Boss Nass you can see the wheels turning. You can practically hear Qui Gon thinking "All right I've already ripped off one of the transports from these chumps, let's sweeten the deal. I could use a servent."

What was Uncle George trying to teach the children? It's ok to own another being aslong as you have a goatee and wear robes? The guy condons terrorism, incest aswell as slavery. Someone needs to sit him down and tell him that were living in the 20th century, geez. ;)

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

2. Darth_Xio_Jade

Darth_Xio_Jade Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2001
    Jar Jar believed that he had a sacred duty to help Qui-Gon in thanks for the Jedi having saved his life. I don't see how this equated to being enslaved by him. I really don't see where you're coming from.

EDIT: Humor? What's humor?

3. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Yes, thats because Jar Jar was naive. His heart was in the right place but Qui Gon took advantage of that. Right off the bat he declares that Jar Jar's life belongs to him and binds him to a life time of servitude. As soon as this care free gungan meets our Jedi master his life becomes Qui Gon's to do with as he pleases. It's a good thing Darth Maul saves Jar Jar from his Jedi oppressor. Just imagine the hardships that Qui Gon had planned for Jar Jar.

-----signature-----

4. Master_Kloon

Master_Kloon Jedi Master star 1

Dec 10, 2001
    If my memory serves me right I believe Chewie also was a slave by your standards as well (I bet Han thought he got a good deal too right???)...be we aren't talkin about him are we...because we dont bash the OT ;)

5. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2001
    KLOON is right, that's like saying Han had enslaved Chewie

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Han was only a peddler in flesh according to the EU. Unless you can find any lines in the OT that states that Chewie was serving a life debt to him. ;) A life debt is not slavery. It becomes slavery when the one that is owed suddenly decides that he is to be paid back through servitude and manual labor just like Qui Gon did.

-----signature-----

7. thrillhouse

thrillhouse Jedi Youngling

Dec 20, 2001
    point taken RBE

8. MountainMan

MountainMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 11, 2001
    It would have been a grave insult and a possible breech of diplomacy for Qui-Gon to reject Jar Jar's life-debt. After all, he and Obi-Wan were trying to work a truce between the Gungans and the Naboo, and Qui-Gon thought that by showing proper respect to the Gungan's deeply held beliefs and customs, he could gain their trust, respect, and help. His thoughtless and selfless act was the very thing needed to tear down years of division and oppression and unite two people who have been at war for countless centuries.

*Sniff* The nobility of his selfless sacrifice brings a tear to my eye.

9. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Jar Jar was going to be punished severly by Boss Nass. Therefore Qui-Gon Jinn saved JJ. And JJ was never a slave, he went along with the Jedi because they could protect him. He couldn't just stay in Theed and live amoungst the people. If you remember the Naboo and the Gungans didn't get along very well. Watto had slaves for financial reasons. I didn't see Qui-Gon getting paid anything for JJ's services, did you?

10. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    Jar Jar wasnt' a slave. The first thing Qui Gon did was try to get rid of him. When he saved Jar Jar AGAIN (for real this time) - he realized there was mostly no hope in getting rid of him - at least then and there.

The Jedi did insist that he take them to the Gungan city, then Qui Gon shown concern for JJ's safety. He used the life-debt thing as a way of saving the Gungan's life.

Schlepping Binks all across the galaxy was done mainly becuase they couldn't just leave him in the Naboo city while it was occupied by the Trade Federation.

When they return to Naboo with a Jar Jar inspired plan, he's not following Qui Gon around anymore, he's attempting to help lead his army as part of the plan to get rid of the invaders of their planet.

Since QG bit the big one in the battle, we dont' know how he would have rleased JJ from his debt at the end. Maybe he woudl have said something like 'your bavery in battle helped save my life' or something like that.

Anyway Binks was never a slave a servant.

11. QuiGonJinn

QuiGonJinn Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1998
    WATTO'S A DIRTY SLAVER!

12. TheJediCharles

TheJediCharles Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 28, 2001
    Qui-Gon enslaving Jar Jar.

I suppose Han is evil for enslaving Chewie. I suppose Ben is evil for enslaving Luke. I suppose R2 is evil for enslaving 3PO.

I suppose Lucas is evil for enslaving you.

Gimme a break.

13. barnsthefatjedi

barnsthefatjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 17, 2001
    What a ridiculous statement. Mind you, it is coming from a rabid balding ewok. [face_plain]

14. Darth23

Darth23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 1999
    Um... did RBE's first post change radically, or was it just the font color?

15. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    It's enlightening to see that some people around here still lack a sense of humor. Funny thread RBE! :)

16. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Good point RBE.

So my new mantra is: Qui-Gon is a cheat, a liar, a thief, and an illegal slaver.

Man, the more we explore the mindset of Qui, the more we discover what a sleazeball he really is.

17. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    You can make alll the excuses you want for Qui Gon. It still dosen't change the fact that with a wave of his hand Qui Gon proclaims to Boss Nass and the children in the audiance that Jar Jar's life now belongs to Qui Gon. It does not alter the fact that while traveling in the Bongo our Jedi Master feels the need to assualt our innocent gungan slave. The brutality of his assualt is so severe that it leaves Jar Jar unconscious. Your excuses still can't deny the fact that the cruelness of Qui Gon forces our amphibian friend to suffer the torments of Tatooine's harsh twin suns. And let's not forget how our nobel Jedi Qui Gon savagely grabs Jar Jar's tongue. Causing extreme pain to Jar Jar not to mention the humiliation he experiances.

The fact that Qui Gon does this in front of other slaves just goes to show how much he enjoyed Jar Jar's degradation. You can see the outrage in Shimi and Anakins eyes, unfortunatly they can't do anything to save him. It's a good thing that the slavers of Tatooine don't belive in beating their slaves. Just imagine if Qui Gon had found a whip, we would of had even more similarities to Ben Hur if he had.

-----signature-----

18. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Yawn, another lame attempt by a basher to yank the gusher's crank.

You really need to get more creative. This is just another retred of TJ's old anti-QGJ rant. At least TrueJedi with all of his faults is at least unique.

The differently colored text just reaked of trying to hard.

19. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    It's amazing how some people in this forum will do anything they can to excuse Qui's callousness towards everyone, including his brutality of Jar Jar.

I'm sick of hearing people say things like, "Well, Qui lied, cheated, stole, and brutalized Jar Jar for a good cause." That just sickens me.

What's wrong with you people? If aiming to do the right thing is frought with evil, doesn't that defeat the purpose of the goal? Since when is using evil to accomplish some good OK?

People, wake up!! Qui was the scum of the earth and a renegade Jedi whose sole interest was his version of the Will of the Force.

I daily celebrate his demise at the hand of one of his contemporaries.

20. TravCon12

TravCon12 Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    See what I mean.......hehehe thanks TJ for proving my point.

21. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    LOL, R_B_E! :D

22. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    ** Snickers at TravCon12 ** What a well thought out response from the clueless section. ;)

-----signature-----

23. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    Thanks Geist! At least someone else here can tell this is a joke! :)

24. Obi-Gon_Jinnobi

Obi-Gon_Jinnobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2001
    Not again. This is really lame.

Ok, you who are Qui-Gon bashers and Obi-Wan gushers: why didn't Obi-Wan try to stop him?

25. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    You know full well that Obi Wan was but a Padawan. It's not his place to question Qui Gon, it's disrepectfull. And if he had said anything, Qui Gon would probably have had him beat for his insolence anyways.

-----signature-----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.