Why Is It Wrong For Watto To Have Slaves, Yet You Turn A Blind Eye To Qui Gon's Enslavement Of JJB

Discussion in 'The Phantom Menace' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Feb 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Gon_Jinnobi Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Oh boy. I'm gonna start an Obi-Wan/Han basher thread.
  2. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    There's no need to start a Obi-wan/Han hate thread. Let's try and show Georgie Boy that were better than that and can handle things in a civilized manner. The best you and I can do is inform the masses of Uncle Georges subterfuge. We need to get the word out to his audiance and tell them that slavery, terrorism, incest and civil disobedience is not cool.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  3. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    <<There's no need to start a Obi-wan/Han hate thread. Let's try and show Georgie Boy that were better than that and can handle things in a civilized manner. The best you and I can do is inform the masses of Uncle Georges subterfuge. We need to get the word out to his audiance and tell them that slavery, terrorism, incest and civil disobedience is not cool. >>

Yeah, if there's anything TPM taught me, it's that life as a slave is actually pretty sweet. All you have to do is "watch the shop" and "clean the racks". Geez, your middle-class teenager works harder than that. And they had a multiple bedroom house, were free to have visitors, and allowed to build vehicles and droids as hobbies, in addition to having enough free time to do so. And Shmi, well, she doesn't even have to do anything at all. We never even hear Watto even order her to do something stupid like "Lock the shop doors". And you also have plenty of food, indeed enough for five additional people (Jar-Jar is so rude that he probably ate three times his share). Not to mention enough money to buy "pallies" all the time.
  4. OrlandoT Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>>Yeah, if there's anything TPM taught me, it's that life as a slave is actually pretty sweet. All you have to do is "watch the shop" and "clean the racks". Geez, your middle-class teenager works harder than that.<<<<

Two things.

1) Anakin wasn't a teenager
    2) Unlike most teenagers he never had a choice/

And, don't forget being forced to risk his life in the dangerous Pod races without his mother's aproval.

>>>> And they had a multiple bedroom house, were free to have visitors, and allowed to build vehicles and droids as hobbies, in addition to having enough free time to do so. And Shmi, well, she doesn't even have to do anything at all. We never even hear Watto even order her to do something stupid like "Lock the shop doors". And you also have plenty of food, indeed enough for five additional people (Jar-Jar is so rude that he probably ate three times his share). Not to mention enough money to buy "pallies" all the time. <<<<

Yet they weren't free. It's worse than livin in a communist country. A Cuban once gave me this great analogy. He compared life in Cuba to animals in a Zoo. An animal in a zoo is fed, given shelter and medical attention. Yet if the doors are ever opened, they escape.
  5. HavocHound Jedi Master

star 4
    "We need to get the word out to his audiance and tell them that slavery, terrorism, incest and civil disobedience is not cool."

As far as slavery, terrorism, and incest go, I agree. But civil disobedience is good. In fact, it's the American way!
  6. HavocHound Jedi Master

star 4
    "...Jar-Jar is so rude that he probably ate three times his share..."

It isn't rudeness. It's simply because he has high metabolism and must gorge himself constantly to remain satisfied. Naturally, being Jar Jar, he doesn't realize that no one else in the universe eats as much as him.
  7. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    Why Is It Wrong For Watto To Have Slaves, Yet You Turn A Blind Eye To Qui Gon's Enslavement Of JJB?

Thats an erroneous question if I ever did see one. You just have it out for this movie.

>>>>>Just look at that scene again where he tell's Boss Nass that Jar Jar's life belongs to him, it's just sickening to see a Jedi Master gleefuly peddeling in flesh. Shame on all of you that would turn a blind eye to the plight of Jar Jar. How can you hate a character so much that you would enjoy seeing him serve in bondage to another man. <<<<<<

>>>>>We need to get the word out to his audiance and tell them that slavery, terrorism, incest and civil disobedience is not cool.<<<<<

His heart was in the right place but Qui Gon took advantage of that. Right off the bat he declares that Jar Jar's life belongs to him and binds him to a life time of servitude. As soon as this care free gungan meets our Jedi master his life becomes Qui Gon's to do with as he pleases. It's a good thing Darth Maul saves Jar Jar from his Jedi oppressor.

It does not alter the fact that while traveling in the Bongo our Jedi Master feels the need to assualt our innocent gungan slave. The brutality of his assualt is so severe that it leaves Jar Jar unconscious. Your excuses still can't deny the fact that the cruelness of Qui Gon forces our amphibian friend to suffer the torments of Tatooine's harsh twin suns. And let's not forget how our nobel Jedi Qui Gon savagely grabs Jar Jar's tongue. Causing extreme pain to Jar Jar not to mention the humiliation he experiances.

The fact that Qui Gon does this in front of other slaves just goes to show how much he enjoyed Jar Jar's degradation.

[face_laugh] [face_plain] [face_laugh]

LOL!!! I mean, shouldnt this be considered trolling? Hes just trying to get a rise out of people that find TPM good.

Please get a life. Ill even pay for your vacation so you can get away from that computer of yours. ;)

8. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    >>>>Yeah, if there's anything TPM taught me, it's that life as a slave is actually pretty sweet. All you have to do is "watch the shop" and "clean the racks". Geez, your middle-class teenager works harder than that.<<<<

Two things.

1) Anakin wasn't a teenager
    2) Unlike most teenagers he never had a choice/

And, don't forget being forced to risk his life in the dangerous Pod races without his mother's aproval. >>>>

But he liked racing pods!!! It doesn't matter!!! And no, teenagers have to do more chores than we saw him do on Tattooine (actually, heard Watto ask him to do). Not to mention the fact that Watto lets him stroll around town much of the time. (Yeah, I know he was off for the day, but still, wouldn't Watto have him confined to his quarters?)

9. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    wouldn't Watto have him confined to his quarters?

Something tells me that Watto wasnt like that. He didnt beat his slaves, restrict them 24/7 or anything. Who knows what Gardulla the Hut or Jabba does to their slaves (IE Leiah in ROTJ?)
  10. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    Then what was the whole point of the slavery thing at all? If we were truly meant to think this, it is in the movie for no reason at all. I mean, cripes, you don't make a movie about slaves and then show what a great life they are living. It doesn't matter if not all slave masters are cruel, there's no point to having a "nice" slave owner in a dramatic production. I wonder if Lucas didn't just have it in there to find a way to seperate Anakin from Shmi.
  11. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    <<"...Jar-Jar is so rude that he probably ate three times his share..."

It isn't rudeness. It's simply because he has high metabolism and must gorge himself constantly to remain satisfied. Naturally, being Jar Jar, he doesn't realize that no one else in the universe eats as much as him. >>

How do you know the reason he eats so much food is because of his metabolism, and not the fact that he is just plain greedy? And if it was his metabolism, why would he not realize this about others in the universe? Jar-Jar must be dumber than a rock. And don't say, "Well, he never encountered other species before," because neither have I, but I still realize that if aliens are out there, they are not going to eat the same amount I do.
  12. HavocHound Jedi Master

star 4
    Torgo - because he thinks with his stomach. And the reason I deduce that it's due to high metabolism is because of his lean ectomorphic body structure. If he had slow metabolism and was an endomorph, he'd likely be a HUGE immobile Hutt-sized Jar Jar (or bigger)! Imagine that! He'd be COMPLETELY helpless! But, being Jar Jar, nobody would be able to resist taking care of him. In fact, they'd feel COMPELLED to take care of him!
  13. Moriarte Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Jar Jar stayed with Qui-Gon because he owed him a life debt.
    Jar-Jar took the two Jedi to the city even though, EVEN though he knew he was going to be punished.
    After Qui-Gon learned this, he decided to use the life-debt of Jar Jar's so that Jar Jar would not be punished. why...?
    Because Jar-Jar helped them despite the fact he was going to be punished.

So Qui-Gon was helping Jar Jar yet again.

Ciou-See the Sig
  14. AgentCoop Force Ghost

star 4
    This is a great thread, Ewok. Not only is it hilarious, but it brings the people with NO SENSE OF HUMOR out of the woodwork. Bravo.

:cool:
  15. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    Sense of humor? ALL of the guys comments on TPM sound like that. How can we tell its a joke?
  16. AgentCoop Force Ghost

star 4
  17. Ultimate Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Then what was the whole point of the slavery thing at all? If we were truly meant to think this, it is in the movie for no reason at all. I mean, cripes, you don't make a movie about slaves and then show what a great life they are living."

Let's see, being someone's property, someone who doesn't have freedom and can bee bought, sold, won and lost on a whim, a walking bomb, someone who would likely be dead if it weren't for their profiiency at building things, and someone who is forced to race a basket attached to jet engines in a highly dangerous death race is a "great life"?

No, we needing someone getting slapped to see how bad it is. Some people have absolutely zero perspective on what the sheer concept of being "property" is. I guess Roman and Greek slaves had a "great life" too, even though they lived in nice houses, earned money and could buy their freedom.
  18. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep. My case and point has been proven. Trolls. Bah.

Anyhow....

Then what was the whole point of the slavery thing at all? If we were truly meant to think this, it is in the movie for no reason at all. I mean, cripes, you don't make a movie about slaves and then show what a great life they are living. It doesn't matter if not all slave masters are cruel, there's no point to having a "nice" slave owner in a dramatic production. I wonder if Lucas didn't just have it in there to find a way to seperate Anakin from Shmi.

Trashing preconceptions of slavery in film is a must. GL wanted to show slavery without it being as harsh as roots. It still serves the story as best as it should, as stated above this post. Excellent one i might add. It aint that serious. Relax.
  19. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    <<Torgo - because he thinks with his stomach. And the reason I deduce that it's due to high metabolism is because of his lean ectomorphic body structure. If he had slow metabolism and was an endomorph, he'd likely be a HUGE immobile Hutt-sized Jar Jar (or bigger)! Imagine that! He'd be COMPLETELY helpless! But, being Jar Jar, nobody would be able to resist taking care of him. In fact, they'd feel COMPELLED to take care of him! >>

That still doesn't change the fact that Jar-Jar is self-centered, and dumber then a rock. And no, if I were Qui-Gon, I would not take care of him. True, I would save him from the battle droids and the MTT, I would not leave Jar-Jar to die, but as soon as he started flinging that life-debt crap on me, I would ignore him, and if he insisted, I would tell him that its too dangerous and he is safer here, he would be of no use in a war zone and be of more harm than help. If he still insisted, I would give him my food in those little capsules in exchange for him leaving me alone. He would probably then cut that out. I would not risk him getting imprisoned the way the Qui-Gon in the movie did. True, he did save him later, but he still should not have brought him into trouble like that, despite his protests. The only reason he agreed was because Qui-Gon threatened him. While I will agree that that line actually made me laugh, it makes Qui-Gon's character look kind of bad. I would then use the force to "acquire" a STAP from a battle droid, and I would speed to the rescue. I might even be able to beat the invasion force because I have the enhanced Jedi relfexes that allow for high speed as opposed to the crappy, cheap, and probably inefficent processers of the battle droids. I would not waste all this time in an underwater city and getting attacked by sea creatures, and losing submarine power. I would not wipe Jar-Jar's face after he eats and save him every time he does something stupid which gets me in trouble and house train him. I have a mission to do; lives to save. I don't have time for that crap. Besides, Jar-Jar is about as intelligent as the forest creatures, actually, even less so (At least they knew enough to run away from the transport!!!!). I'd leave him in the woods with all the other dumb animals.
  20. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    That still doesn't change the fact that Jar-Jar is self-centered, and dumber then a rock. And no, if I were Qui-Gon, I would not take care of him. True, I would save him from the battle droids and the MTT, I would not leave Jar-Jar to die, but as soon as he started flinging that life-debt crap on me, I would ignore him, and if he insisted, I would tell him that its too dangerous and he is safer here, he would be of no use in a war zone and be of more harm than help. If he still insisted, I would give him my food in those little capsules in exchange for him leaving me alone. He would probably then cut that out. I would not risk him getting imprisoned the way the Qui-Gon in the movie did. True, he did save him later, but he still should not have brought him into trouble like that, despite his protests. The only reason he agreed was because Qui-Gon threatened him. While I will agree that that line actually made me laugh, it makes Qui-Gon's character look kind of bad. I would then use the force to "acquire" a STAP from a battle droid, and I would speed to the rescue. I might even be able to beat the invasion force because I have the enhanced Jedi relfexes that allow for high speed as opposed to the crappy, cheap, and probably inefficent processers of the battle droids. I would not waste all this time in an underwater city and getting attacked by sea creatures, and losing submarine power. I would not wipe Jar-Jar's face after he eats and save him every time he does something stupid which gets me in trouble and house train him. I have a mission to do; lives to save. I don't have time for that crap. Besides, Jar-Jar is about as intelligent as the forest creatures, actually, even less so (At least they knew enough to run away from the transport!!!!). I'd leave him in the woods with all the other dumb animals.

Now what was the point of you redundantly typing that kinda stuff in large paragraphs if you hate the movie in the first place?
  21. Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Outlandish thread title: $ 2.57
    Ridiculus Opening Post followed by a wink smily: $10.99
    LOL's from other forum members: $49.99
    "I mean, shouldnt this be considered trolling? Hes just trying to get a rise out of people that find TPM good.

Please get a life. Ill even pay for your vacation so you can get away from that computer of yours." Priceless :D

It's a good thing you haven't seen the "Qui Gon And Obi Wan Were the Biggest Heels In The Galaxy" or "Absolute Proof That TPM Was A Failure" thread. You probably would have flipped your lid if you had been around for the "Obi Wan and Panka: Did They Fool You" thread aswell.

I do what I can, Coop. [face_devil] :D

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!
  22. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    <<Now what was the point of you redundantly typing that kinda stuff in large paragraphs if you hate the movie in the first place? >>

Amazing!!! I've NEVER heard that one before!!! I will immediately stop posting stuff like that ever since you stated that stunning, never-before revealed revelation!!!
  23. PruneF8ce Jedi Master

star 4
    Amazing!!! I've NEVER heard that one before!!! I will immediately stop posting stuff like that ever since you stated that stunning, never-before revealed revelation!!!

And yet you still fail to grasp what were trying to say. Thats the incredibly sad part of it all folks. Is a medication necessary for you or what? :confused:

Leaving the thread... Typing utter nonsensensical bashings on a computer doesnt make you more of a man you know.

I say it's time to ignore people like this forever. You will never hear from me again pertaining to discussions of this disgraceful caliber.
  24. DarthTorgo Jedi Master

star 4
    Why all the hate? I never say that you worship every single thing that Lucas does and that you sacrifice virgins to a picture of him hung above an altar. So why do you feel the need to call my postings "nonsensical bashings"?

I must have hit pretty close to the mark to get him all riled up like that, huh kid?
  25. DarthBane93 Force Ghost

star 4
    RBW and TrueJedi and his gang of little followers are nothing but trolls. If mods or admins see this, please lock the thread since there are already hundreds of threads like this.

In the future, take the time to at least bring up an old Qui-Gon basher, Qui-Gon enslaver, Qui-Gon cheater thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.