Why is Jabba so important?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by ShaakRider, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
  1. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    I hope this thread is not redundant, tried to look back a few pages and didn't find anything about this:

I never understood, why was it so important to include Jabba in AHN. It worked perfectly without seeing him, yet Lucas wasn't happy until he succeeded to insert that scene. His appearence in TPM also doesn't make much sense for me (in fact I find both scenes annoying, though I love Jabba in ROTJ). He is an important character, but not so important IMO. Why is Lucas so obsessed with him? Have I missed something about his role in SW? Or is it just because he's so cool? What do you know about the origins of Jabba? Was he in earlier drafts? Where does his character, and his design come from?
    The only thing I can recall is a photo, which showed the Han-Jabba scene and Jabba was played by an actor.
  2. Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA•

star 6
    Obviously, Lucas filmed the scene in ANH with a stand in that he hoped to replace, but budget/time constraints, the scene was never finished until the Special Edition. Hopefully he'll go back and make SE Jabba look like Ep1 Jabba, but that's a different subject. Having him in there adds to the pressure Han feels in needing to pay him back, reemphasied in the beginning of ESB when Han refers to the bounty hunter on whatever planet, and then again later when Boba finally gets him.

Having Jabba in Ep1 is just a connection between the Prequels to the OT, but seeing him kinda reemphasizes Panaka's fear of entering Hutt controlled space.

I believe either in the ROTJ Novelization or in a previous draft of that script, Jabba tells Luke he was "killing Jedi before you were born", so it's quite possible that Jabba would have a hand in the Jedi Purge in Episode 3, which would definately raise him to another level of importance in the overall scheme of things, and thus having him around all the time would be warrented. I've always like Jabba so I'd like to see something like that happen, but I don't want to go into spoiler possibilities.
  3. J-Solo Jedi Master

star 4
    I also don't like Jabba in ANH SE. His presence is not necessary and I think his dialogue with Han was very redundant. Han had already said the same things to Greedo.

The answer is this: Jabba is in the Special Edition just to show that ILM can do things like that. Although I think the result was terrible. The CGI was obvious and very bad. And he was so different and smaller than ROTJ's Jabba that it was ridiculous, really.
  4. MikeSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    I always felt that having Jabba in ANH helped Han's backstory. Han's backstory didn't really need much help before but this just adds to his backstory. It shows us how Han and Jabba were actually friends before Han becomes Jabba's enemy. Also if you ever read or going to read the Han Solo Triology by A.C. Crispin, the books show how Han and Jabba become friends so it was pretty cool to see it shown in the movie. I know the books were out after the SE but it was still great.
  5. JediLegOBlock Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Jabba is one of the three major villians in the Star Wars saga that is destroyed by RotJ. The other two are Darth Vader and Darth Sidious.

Jabba's true role will be outlined in EpIII, methinks.
  6. The___ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jabba's appearance is not necessary in ANH.

I found that not seeing him but hearing about him in episodes IV & V added to the mystery of this villain. Who is this Jabba?

It was incredible build up to ROTJ, where we finally get to see the vile gangster.

Jabba'a appearance in TPM is no doubt a cameo meant to please SW fans. A familiar character on the familiar planet in an unfamiliar time.
  7. FuzzyRatt Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jabba is one the coolest SW villians.
    Jabba over seeing the Pod race was alot of fun (I love the falling frog). It was not important to see he in TPM but, it did not hard the story and was good for the long time fans.
    Jabba in ANH(SE) was a waste of a great character. Him showing up a the docking bay does the same thing a Greedo's cantina death (he did not shot first...It's just cooler that Han shot him under the table first). In the docking bay Jabba does not seem to be a bad guy...just Han's boss. In the cantine with Greedo and Han, Jabba is the Godfather of SW.
    Jabba in ROTJ is the way a great villian should be. The battle at the pit is the best thing in all of SW to me.
    The Jedi had Returned.
  8. Ret Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Why is Lucas so obsessed with him? "

Well he wanted him to be in ANH in the first place. So when he could be GL made it happen.
  9. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    Having him in there adds to the pressure Han feels
    Not for me. Even if he will look like his ROTJ-self, a Jabba-like creature crawling there (and tolerating that Han steps on his tail [face_shocked]) is so inherently ridiculous that I feel no pressure at all...

I believe either in the ROTJ Novelization or in a previous draft of that script, Jabba tells Luke he was "killing Jedi before you were born"

You were right about this, he says "I have killed many Jedi Knights in my time?" in the 2nd draft. I hope it won't be in EpIII though.

It shows us how Han and Jabba were actually friends before Han becomes Jabba's enemy. Also if you ever read or going to read the Han Solo Triology by A.C. Crispin, the books show how Han and Jabba become friends so it was pretty cool to see it shown in the movie.
    Huh? They were friends? I have never read any EU book and don't intend to, but...would you explain it, please?

According to the earlier scripts, Han was Jabba's boy, or so. After he made the deal with Ben and Luke he tricked Jabba and stole his ship. Wonder, why had Lucas dropped this idea, it sounds much better than dumping a shipment of spice.
  10. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    Han Solo grins and slaps the monstrous wookiee across
    the back.

HAN
    Well, old buddy, we're free, and it's
    an easy charter at that.

Chewbacca doesn't share Han's enthusiasm, and makes a
    couple of worrisome grunts.

HAN
    Yeah, yeah, I know we still have a
    problem, but maybe we'll be gone by
    the time H2 gets back.

A commotion filters down from the entry gantry and Chew-
    bacca whines pessimistic comment. A dozen or so gruff
    and grisly pirates approach the ship. The grossest of
    the slavering hulks is JABBA THE HUTT. His scarred face
    is a grim testimonial to his prowess as a vicious killer.

HAN
    You're back early.

JABBA
    A shipment of Covina just took off
    for Gordon. I thought we might
    reroute it back here.

He laughs maniacally. Han is not amused.

HAN
    You'll have to get yourself another
    boy, Jabba. I've got a charter.

JABBA
    Forget it. We settled this before,
    remember? There's no getting out.
    Now get this 'can' started...

It's a moment of great tension. Han glances at the
    four pirates standing near them. Two of the greasy
    brigands have their weapons pointed at him. The young
    starcaptain stands firm for a few moments with his hand
    resting on his utility belt only inches from his
    blaster. Chewbacca sways back and forth as he adjusts
    his weight from one foot to the other.

JABBA
    Well??

Han turns and reluctantly boards the ship. Jabba walks
    alongside Han and puts his arm around him.

JABBA
    Han, after all we've been through,
    I'm disappointed we're not closer.
    You're getting soft now that the
    ship's finished. You may have built
    this bucket, but never forget who
    paid for it, 'cause if you try to
    take her out again, I won't be so
    understanding.

----------

As Han and the huge Wookiee work their way past the sin-
    ister Jabba the Hutt, the pirate hands the young star-
    captain a bulky cloak.

JABBA
    Take this back with you, boy.

Han doesn't mask his hatred for the loathsome pirate
    very well, but takes the cloak and follows the Chew-
    bacca toward the back of the ship. He stops by a small
    control panel, knocking it loose with his foot. The
    cover falls to the floor with a muted clang and the
    young mechanic looks around to see if anyone heard.

HAN
    This is it. If this doesn't work,
    we're diced!

He takes a small metal bar and jams it between two cir-
    cuits, causing sparks to fly. He quickly replaces the
    cover and Han casually heads back toward the cockpit.

55 INT. PIRATE STARSHIP - COCKPIT 55

A short greasy looking pirate sits at the complex con-
    trols of the ship.

PIRATE PILOT
    We're on our way...

He pulls back on the power lever and the ship erupts
    into a cacophony of warning alarms and flashing lights.
    Smoke begins to issue from the panels. The pilot is
    startled and begins flipping swit
  11. Lord_Fett Jedi Master

star 4
    Jabba in TPM was VERY important because that single scene(when he arrives)gives us the influence level of him in Tatooine and more.

When he arrives everybody cheers him.He´s a Tatooine´s mayor.He was in the highest balcony.Through this we can see a lot of things:he was a great influence in the last big days of the Old Republic;he kept that influence throughout the saga.I bet he had big contacts in the Senate.

The bottom line is:Jabba is one of the most powerfull guys in SW.
  12. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    Through this we can see a lot of things:he was a great influence in the last big days of the Old Republic;he kept that influence throughout the saga.I bet he had big contacts in the Senate

OK, that's true, and he might have a role in ep3 too, though I hope he won't. I just don't like that the galaxy is so small ;)
  13. Spacehunter24 Jedi Master

star 4
    Huh? They were friends? I have never read any EU book and don't intend to, but...would you explain it, please?

In THE HUTT GAMBIT, Han meets Jabba and begins working for him. Han and Chewie do a lot of work for him, and two do become something like friends. Jabba even shows signs that he thinks of Han as more than just "another hired hand," but rather a good friend. Jabba even tells Han that he likes him at one point.

The dumping of the spice was about the only thing that ever happened between them that made Jabba made at Han. He tells Han in REBEL DAWN, not long after the spice dump, "I can't make exceptions just because I like you."
  14. _Xanatos_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Jabba is a gangster that says it all.
  15. MikeSolo Jedi Master

star 4
    "Huh? They were friends? I have never read any EU book and don't intend to, but...would you explain it, please?"

Well that was nice of him to explain it for you but here is how I saw your commment. You said first you never intend to read any EU books but then you want me tell you about them. The fact you said first you don't want to read any EU books showed me you had no interest in them at all. So why would you want someone to explain a story that your not even interested in ? Only reason I could see why......is so you can go bash it which is a pretty weak and lame reason.
  16. ShaakRider Jedi Knight

star 2
    MikeSolo:
    Thank you for enlightening me about my reasons [face_plain]
    Though I don't intend to read any EU books, because I'm not interested in EU, I was curious about that particular story, especially because I like it a lot more than the "it emphasizes the pressure on Han" stuff. However, based on the ANH scene only I'd never think that they were frineds.

Spacehunter:
    thank you for explaining it without flaming.

Maybe Jabba likes Han, but Han seems not to like Jabba that much, besides he shows very little respect for him, so I guess this "friendship" wasn't mutual.

I begin to see some sense in th ANH Jabba scene, but still like the original more.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.