main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why is Jar Jar annoying to you?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Logan La Marco, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Logan La Marco

Logan La Marco Jedi Youngling

Jan 23, 2016
    I'm not saying I like Jar Jar Binks, but can people explain why he's annoying and how he annoyed you?

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    He's hilarious, not annoying. To me at least.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I don't find him that annoying.

He's probably the closest character in the whole saga to just a normal person, at least in TPM.

4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Because he's a childish, foolish dolt.

Ahsoka's Tano and Nate787 like this.
  5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    He's fine by me. I don't really care that much since he is far from the first thing that comes to my mind when I think about the PT.

Antpocalypse and Prisic Duskleap like this.
  6. Nate787

Nate787 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 29, 2016
    Can't pintpoint just one thing. The voice. The constant clumsiness. The racist black-face stereotype lingo he uses. Same reasons that you don't want certain people around you in real life. Every action and word that comes out of their mouth makes you want to punch them in the face. Heck, in-universe his own people didn't even want him. Why should anyone expect the audience to? He's the poster-boy for everything that went wrong with and un-checked Lucas.

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well his voice and the way he talks annoys me, but the biggest thing is in the battle with the droids at the end of TPM. It should have been a serious battle but instead you have him running around like an idiot accidentally destroying droids and somehow not getting killed. That's stuff that belongs in Inspector Gadget or something, not in Star Wars imo. It all takes away from what is otherwise a pretty cool battle.

Nate787 likes this.
  8. Halle Dray

Halle Dray Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I think he is rather funny but yes, he can get on my nerves. I think it's just some of the things he does and his voice.

9. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    He isn't annoying to me.

Nate787 nothing is racist about him. I doubt George Lucas would make a racist character (towards African-Americans) when George is married to an African-American woman.

10. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    Maybe not intentionally, but he sure came off that way. And you know darn well I'm not the first to say that.

11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    There are plenty of people who say that online. Out of all the people I've seen the movies with, no one I personally know was offended by Jar Jar.

Antpocalypse and Ezon Pin like this.
  12. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    That battle at the end was the worst thing in all of SW. A straight up cartoon plugged into what's supposed to be a live action movie. It was nauseating and embarrassing.

Poe loves Rey and cubman987 like this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    This has nothing to do with the OT.

Ezon Pin, cubman987 and Nate787 like this.
  14. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016
    I don't know anyone offended either, just that they thought he came off that way.

15. Nate787

Jan 29, 2016

Meesa thinks OP believe Jar Jar hate only come from OT fan.

16. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    He was a slapstick character the worst of what was a bad collection of personalities.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This. Moving to PT.

Logan La Marco , please check the subject of the forum before posting new threads, and PM any of us if you have a question as to where a thread belongs. Thanks.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  18. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    He's not.

Antpocalypse likes this.
  19. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    I didn't find him annoying, but I would have preferred less of him. I think he was more to play the fool, and to be for the little kids.

20. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

That's the point. In universe, people treat him like crap because they think so less of him.

But later, they see that he is genuine, caring and can be of help.

That's when they start treating him like a being.

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

He's played by black dude....I doubt Ahmed would accept a racist trope role.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Lol that was my first thought

23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Frag. You again?

24. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't hate Jar Jar, I just don't understand story-wise why he was with them on Tatooine, he is a water dwelling creature, a desert planet with two scorching suns would have killed him, or at least made him very ill, there is a throw away line in the movie about it not being good for his skin or something and then nothing.. my conclusion then is that he was simply with them so the movie can have "comedy" which takes me out of the movie somewhat...sure have comedy, but at least have a valid reason why Jar Jar is with them. Especially since he a self confessed "clumsy" gungan..

Other than that, no problems with him.

25. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    While perhaps mounted in innocence, the opening question hits me like the "When did you stop beating your wife?" salvo.

I've never found Jar Jar annoying and I never will.

Alright, I once contended that his antics were a bit much in the Battle of Naboo, but hey, I acclimated to them in time.

And just as I wrote out that clause "bit much in the Battle of Naboo", I had an epiphany, of sorts. There shouldn't even be a Battle of Naboo/Paradise. Jar Jar's calamities in said battle symbolically express the wrongful nature of Amidala's embrace of aggression (of all the characters' embrace of or descent into aggression).

Jar Jar's comedic calculus is pushed to the limit in the battle sequence. The absurdity of Jar Jar suddenly shifted into a position of leadership -- giving him an opportunity for a transient display of Stoic cool before an enlarged farce takes over -- presages his intractable ascent to the position of "Representative" (here, of course, he is a "Bombad General") in the following movie; and the chaos of the Clone Wars that ensues.

I'm a huge Jar Jar fan. He's my favourite character. I love his elastic argot: his elan. He brings something unique to the Star Wars saga. And even though I don't subscribe to the "reddit"/"Jar Jar is a Sith Lord" conspiracy fan theory, I do think the entirety of the saga can be looked at as bearing his imprint, his seed. Indeed, Jar Jar is an emissary for the "clumsy" and jarring epiphenomena that pervade the "Star Wars" experience and make it what it is. Jar Jar is those very phenomena given consciousness: the saga paying homage to and recursively inseminating itself as if Jar Jar were some elementary particle that momentarily emerges at "The Beginning" only to mysteriously vanish back to the void some fleeting nanoseconds of mythological time later.