main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Why is Leia Not a Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Anleifr, Dec 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anleifr

Anleifr Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 17, 2015
    Thoughts?

Mav Edit: We have another thread on this topic, please discuss HERE.

2. jackblack

jackblack Jedi Youngling

Dec 23, 2015
    No one to train her but her brother and he did not want to.
    She was too busy with the resistance to take time off to train.
    Far too old to train properly (though this excuse is basically the prime directive in terms of being broken)
    She did not want to learn.

Thomo93 and Episode Swag like this.
  3. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    Because the only teacher available was noob Jedi Luke and she's too old and busy to have the time and wait for him to learn enough before passing all of that on. I figure he'd shown and taught her whatever he could. I'm not saying that she's too old to learn, but I'm saying that she's too old in the sense that she already has a lot going on in her life that's established. It's not like taking a Yoga class or even becoming a CPA, whereas the new Jedi were probably taught at younger ages, mainly because both they and Luke had the luxury of time.

jc1138 likes this.
  4. Twain

Twain Jedi Master star 3

Aug 12, 2014
    She may not be a Jedi, but her Force sensitivity remains high, or even grew.

She sensed her son killing her husband from half a galaxy away...

5. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    "I went back to the only thing I was ever good at."
    "So did I."
    ^paraphrasing Han and Leia

Maybe Leia was training as a Jedi and went back to being a general?

Visual Dictionary probably contradicts this though.

nalkwan and Sarge like this.
  6. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    She decided it was her destiny to help building the New Republic as a Senator and have a family with Han.

7. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Except she is the exact same age as Luke because their twins.[face_rofl]

8. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Let's say you are really really good at being a CEO/Lawyer/Doctor whatever and you like what you do and you are sucessful and liked. Now someone builds a machine that tells you that you would be a really good professional ball player. That doesn't mean you drop everything and go train to play baseball.

Shaak Ti and MattOrgana like this.
  9. Wolfgang187

Wolfgang187 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 8, 2002
    Cause CGI Carrie Fisher would look pretty lame.

Eons I slept and Jedi_Lantern like this.
  10. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    JJ mentioned in an interview that the Jedi way just isn't the path she chose. She is still Force sensitive, but never had an interest in formal trainīng. The rebellion/Republic/Resistance was where she focused her energies.

jc1138, Lobot_the_Jedi and MattOrgana like this.
  11. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Because becoming a Jedi would require her to have years and years of training... just like what Rey had to go through. Wait! What?

Something doesn't match here!:p

12. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    She was in love with Han and wanted a family. Luke took up the Jedi way to go about re-creating the Order. And he did not have a love interest once he learned Leia was his sister.

13. Dudu Wan Kenobi

Dudu Wan Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    That sort of proof JJ knows very well becoming a Jedi is no cake walk, being a gifted force sensitive or not. That's why I believe they have a reason why Rey is familiar with Jedi techniques.

only one kenobi, jc1138 and Shaak Ti like this.
  14. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    She's angry all the time. She would've gone to the dark side mega quick.

appleseed, Ceirwyn and Darth Nerdling like this.
  15. PaperSkin

PaperSkin Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 12, 2015
    She took up golf instead...

Clearly she was busy with a lot of other things going on, no time.

16. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    Carrie Fisher was never going to get fit enough to play a convincing Jedi. Just like Harrison Ford forced the demise of Han Solo, Carrie Fisher (who did not display an ounce of the energy she portrayed in the OT) influenced this decision.

17. luckyguess

luckyguess Jedi Knight

Dec 20, 2015
    I just took it as meaning she wasn't particularly interested in that path. It doesn't seem like a cop-out. I could legitimately believe her preferring to leave the Jedi stuff to Luke while she went on to dedicate her life to leading the resistance.

MattOrgana and Glor like this.
  18. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    I don't know... that's what I thought about that muppet from Empire, then this guy Luke tells me he's a Jedi. Go figure.

They could have made her a powerful force user if they chose too - can't swing a saber to save her life, but wields a potent command of the force. Still, having her as the diplomat/resistance leader suits her character better, I think.

La Calavera and Darth Nerdling like this.
  19. MilesEdgeworth

MilesEdgeworth Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    She doesn't want to be a Jedi. Besides, her talents are better used as a general.

20. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    That may still happen. We have two more movies. At some pivotal moment, she might just surprise everybody show her command of the Force. She felt Han's death, so perhaps she is indeed attuned to the Force.

Shaak Ti, MattOrgana and vohnkar01 like this.
  21. Glor

Glor Jedi Master star 1

Sep 6, 2015
    I've got it. Leia is going to kill Ren in Episode 9.

All semi-joking aside, you're right, she may have powers we simply haven't seen yet.

22. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    Meh, she might be. We don't know. A little obfuscation to throw everyone off.

23. Elle-Wan

Elle-Wan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 11, 2004
    She had an important role to play in the Rebellion already, and her contribution doing that was greater than it would have (presumably) been as a Jedi. ...especially as one in training for many years.

24. Ticonderouga

Ticonderouga Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I think its simply that Leia chose never to learn much about the force, however while most of the Jedi we have seen in all of the movies are presented as warriors they also frequently operated as both diplomats and generals. After all she in her message to Obi-Wan she initially addresses it to "General Kenobi." So while I doubt she ever became a full Jedi she may have learned some Jedi skills.

MattOrgana likes this.
  25. Yoda Fan

Yoda Fan Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    Because she's a complete and total F-up like her brother and husband.

She's a failure at her marriage. Her husband went back as a loser smuggler and helped her raise another Darth Vader.

She's a failure as a mother. See above.

And a failure at leading the New Republic.

In other words the answer to this and other questions like it according to the new Star Wars saga is that our heroes who we thought so highly of 32 years ago have turned into F-ups.

Thank You Disney.

And this by the way is one of the major faulty premises of this whole episode 7 nonsense.

As a video in the thread about the critiques of this movie so aptly points out!

appleseed, Jedi_Lantern and WAZZER like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.