Why is Lucas going cheap on the SW shows?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by jd7, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd7 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Come on Lucas, we all know you can afford to spend more money then that. The way it sounds, and I know a lot of you hate to hear this, but I think its going to be cheesy, and will "flop" for lack of words if he continues this way. Imagine Ep3 being done for $1 million,lol, yea it would of sucked too. Heck even Star Trek: Enterprise had a budget way way higher then that, and it was an awesome show.
  2. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    That is just GL's goal he will go over 1 million dollars if he has to. I'm sure it will be a good quality TV Series.
  3. kidwehatethemost Jedi Knight

star 2
    Think about how obsessive he is about his movies.. of course he wont let absolute crap go on the tv... He's a perfectionist.... he's been working on the OT for 30 years now!
  4. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree!
  5. KfistoRox Jedi Knight

star 2
    I really hope everything he said was a joke. Why should we look forward to it, if he's going to be a cheap ass about it? He prolly made a million in half a day from promotional ROTS stuff.

Does anyone know what the cost of the Clone War shorts were?
  6. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Lucas always has been about finding ways to push the technology in order to make quality entertainment for less money. He's been that way since ANH in 1977, so I don't know why people are expecting that to change.
  7. malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA

star 7
    Star Trek by the end had massive casting costs to make all your favourite characters return for each new season. StarWars:TV will initially start with low casting costs - knowing GL he'll recruit unknown people to fill the main parts. Besides, TV actors will kill for a part in this given the obvious franchise.

Some of the best TV shows come with very little budget, and considering that GL already has the background (eg sets, props, story boards) work done he'll almost be able to get straight into production for low costs.

8. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    Absolutely YJ. I reckon he'll do it to a budget of $1m to show exactly how much can be done with that money. It's his way of saying to the industry "You don't need to throw money at a project to make it watchable and quality".

Although it's kind of sad that it should take Uncle George to state the bleeding obvious in this way :rolleyes:

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  9. ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I read that and almost cried. Hey if he can get the same quality with a million dollars, that is fine. But using the camera that can be bought at a best buy kind of freaked me out.
  10. Ob-wan-shawa Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm just worried because of this, it isn't gonna be that good, and evreyone is gonna be like "star wa5rs is star trek with geeky bad tv shows"
    Uch.
  11. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Lucas is trying to show that you don't need a fancy Camera or a big budget to make a quality TV Series. If it's a success it will open doors for a lot of young and amatuer film makers on a budget. When GL starts filming the Star Wars Live Action TV Series he's probably going to use the consumer HD Camcorder that he thinks and feels is the best. If I had to pick the Sony Camcorder GL was going to use for the TV Series today it would be the HDR-FX1 HDV Handycam Camcorder.
  12. Blackout Force Ghost

star 4
    The way I see it, there are two types of people on these boards. You either trust George, or you don't. And yes, he's got a dodgy track record, that doesn't change your current level of trust in him.

Now is not the time to decide, you already know.

Me = :)

{||||| ?||} -----------------------------
  13. ProphesiedChosenOne1 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Agreed, that would be terrible.
  14. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I trust George Lucas so I am confident the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series is going to be fantastic and that it will get great ratings.
  15. stormcloud8 Force Ghost

star 4
    By comparison, does anyone know the relative budget of an effects based show per episode so that we can compare?

My first thought when I read the article was surprise. Budget Star Wars sounds like a bad idea.
  16. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I trust GL and I'm confident he will make a great TV Series. 1 million dollars is just George Lucas's goal he will probably go over 1 million dollars if he has to and I'm pretty sure he already has almost everything he needs to make the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series but I could be wrong. I think GL is trying to show that you don't need a fancy camera and a big budget to make a good quality TV Series. If the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series is a success with a 1 million dollar budget it will probably open doors for many young and amatuer film makers a like on a budget. As I said before I trust GL so I don't think he will give us a crappy TV Series. I expect the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series to be fantastic.
  17. NewWorldOrder Jedi Knight

star 3
  18. Jrock Jedi Padawan

The budget for Star Trek: Enterprise was about US $1 million per episode in the BEGINNING. It's 4th season (which nearly all fans called the best) had a budget even LESS than that per episode, and still had plenty of SFX, etc. I also read that Firefly had a budget around the same as ST:Enterprise, and that had great acting, SFX, music, etc. I think everyone worrying about the budget should relax. It's still WAY too early to get worked up over what could (and probably will) change between now and when they start filming.
  19. weezer Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I agree, plus I think he was making more of a general comment on overblown studio budgets. He was speaking in generalities not a concrete statement that every other show costs exactly 20 million and I'm going to do it for exactly 1 million. Since he followed up with pointing out that he is using a commercially available camera I got the feeling he was just making another one of his film vs digital comments.

On the other hand I too wasn't thrilled about the comments about a commercially available camcorder. As long as it ends up looking better then the video used in your average reality TV show I'll be happy.
  20. Boola Cronk Jedi Knight

star 2
    Are you guys kidding? This is excellent news!! A 20 to 30 million show for 1million? Thats incredible, especially considering that most sci-fi serials nowadays cost 1 to 5 million an episode. GL owns everything from the studios to the effects company which brings the cost way down. His overhead is virtually non-existent; no corporate BS and no 3rd party companies to pay. I guarantee if you give GL 1 million, he could go MUCH further with it than any other tv producation and as a result create a show that far surpasses any other sci-fi show in terms of quality. I believe that is what he meant when he said he could do a show that would typically cost 20 to 30 million for 1 million.

In regards to the commercially available digital camera, whats wrong with that? HD digital camcorders have just as high a quality as some of the the larger, more expensive rigs. But as the previous posts mentioned, I believe GL's comments here were just a means to promote his advocacy of film vs. digital.
  21. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree HD digital camcorders are good and let the camera man be much more mobile.
  22. borjis fett Jedi Knight

star 3

If I had to guess I would say he will use the Z1 instead of the FX1 because
    of the additional options (gamma) and professional XLR audio inputs.

It's like his own Fanfilm for tv. can't wait to see how it goes.
  23. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    He could use the Z1 but you can't buy a Z1 at many electronics stores but I'm guessing he is either going to use the Z1 or the FX1.
  24. vong333 Force Ghost

star 4
    Okay, what we star wars fans first have to remember is that GL will always have preference for the movies. Not to say the tv show is gonna blow. It's not, I do think that it will be pretty decent. Unfortunately, some fans are already billing the show as the next best sci-fi thing. That it won't be. Forget BattleStar Galactica, and all that stuff. In the end, Star Wars live action tv will get the star trekky moniker. We all hope and pray [face_praying] , that it is good.

Right now, the only place were we get very good stories are in the comic books and the novels. Recently, the video games are improving and the cartoon series was pretty good. I'm more excited about the 3-D animation more than the live action becasue of the above listed reasons and much more.

Star Wars, IMO, will be in the novels and the comic books. The video games will come in right behind it, and then the Clone Wars cartoon series. Everything else, we will have to wait and see.
  25. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I am also very excited about the Clone Wars 3D Animated Series coming out in Fall 2007 I have a pretty good idea of what I think it is going to look like. I am also very excited about the future of Star Wars videogames the Next-Gen console Star Wars games are going to look great. Actually the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series could be the next best Sci Fi thing.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.