Why is Lucas going cheap on the SW shows?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by jd7, Aug 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Exactly. He has THX, Skywalker sound, and basically ILM, right next to him.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Hate to break it to ya, but due to the prequels, SW already has the "Star Trek geeky moniker" you all are worrying about ;) (not saying it doesn't still have a wider appeal though)

>>By comparison, does anyone know the relative budget of an effects based show per episode so that we can compare?<<

Babylon 5's per-episode budget was 1 million an episode and they always came in under-budget, despite (like SW) using then-cutting-edge CGI animation and sets.

Farscape's average budget was 1.5 million an episode, and that show utilzied elaborate makeup and animatronic effects as well as CGI.

Enterprise's average budget was 1.6 million an episode

The Stargate shows have a budget range of 2 to 2.3 million per episode (but that's after a gradual increase over 8+ seasons- it didn't start that high, plus they're dealing with US/CAN dollar currency exchange rate issues)
  3. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes but I have a feeling a lot more people are going to watch the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series than the Star Trek TV Series.
  4. ROTS_Obi1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I still am going to keep some faith in this show. Lucas always surprises me.
  5. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes I also trust GL and I'm confident the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series is going to be fantastic.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>Yes but I have a feeling a lot more people are going to watch the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series than the Star Trek TV Series<<

I'd agree- since Star trek is off the air now, after being run into the ground by it's producers (though Enterprise's last season showed remarkable improvement, it was too late).
  7. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    No I'm guessing it's going to get a lot higher ratings than all the Star Trek TV Series or higher ratings than at least higher ratings than almost all of the Star Trek TV Series.
  8. jedi-soon Force Ghost

star 2
    "If it's a success it will open doors for a lot of young and amatuer film makers on a budget."

right on, revan. i am one such filmmaker. i plan to shoot my first feature fully digital, my roommate at school last year showed me the ideal camera that we could use (he will be the DP), it was available on ebay at the time for under $1500. i looked at some footage his girlfriend shot with the same model and it was unbelievable. definite filmlike quality. i don't remember the model number, i'll have to get in touch with him when i'm ready to actually purchase one, but upcoming commercial models are bound to be approaching this quality. and when you factor in no lab development costs since its all digital, the overall budget goes way down. i agree that lucas is trying to influence, educate, and actually help up-and-coming filmmakers. his explanation of why he does dvd commentaries/extra features says it all: "because i never had this." as big as he is now, he hasn't lost sight of the little guy...
  9. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks I'm glad you agree and good luck with your movie!
  10. PhotoGuitarist Jedi Knight

star 1
    Uh, The Sony DCR-HC90 is retailed for $999.99 at the Sony Web Site
    B & H Photo Video sells it for around $799.00. It's a Prosumer Mini DV
    Camcorder that shoots with a 3megapixel ccd. It can take a 3megapixel still
    it also can take different lenses. It has a resolution of 530 scan lines.
    That is alot of quality for a low price. I know he'll buy and use an
    even more exspensive camcorder than this for his TV shows.
  11. RevantheJediMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    He would probably use the FX1 or the Z1 if the upcoming Star Wars Live Action TV Series was filmed today but by the time they start filming it there will probably be better consumer HD camcorders so they will probably use the consumer HD camcorder that they think and feel is the best.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.