Why is Lucas so pesimistic about Episode 3's box office potentital?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by seasider, Apr 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seasider Force Ghost

star 1
    It is true that the trend in sequels is that last one is the one that makes the least money. I think with Episode 3, we should see a buck in the trend. Everyone I talk to is stoked for this movie and this really is the one all Star Wars geeks are waiting for. Why wouldn't the movie be a hit?
  2. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I think the main reason is that the darkness of the film will turn a lot of fans off... but not me. :D
  3. Jedi_Master201 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep, it's the darkness.

I've heard he doesn't like several parts of TESB for the same reason, but that seems to be the one most fans like the most. So he should see that as sort of an indication of how well Ep. III will do.

Then again, TESB made the least amount of money at the box office, if I remember right.... But it's still loved the most, it seems.
  4. seasider Force Ghost

star 1
    Yeah, ESB made the least amount on the OT. I think a lot of that had to do with the fact that it was so different from ANH that fans weren't sure what to think of the movie. With Episode 3, I think it'll be different because fans are looking for something more in the vein of ESB and they know exactly what's gonna happen without knowing the plot details. It's the missing piece of the puzzle that will make this movie hard for both advocates and bashers of the PT to resist.
  5. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    GL thinks the fans will like Ep3, but is not sure about the casual moviegoers.

First, GL won't spend enough money to market Ep3. AOTC proved that 25 million is not enough $$ if you don't get free press (like TPM got). Also, movie studios won't be afraid to put up their movies against Ep3 because of the success of Spider-Man. Studio's allowed TPM to go unchallenged at the box office for several weeks, they didn't for AOTC, and won't for Ep3 either.

Lucas is right to be pessimistic, imho. Even though he's warning people now, I'm certain the media will make sure EVERYONE in the world knows that Ep3 didn't do as well as the other SW movies come 2005, as though it's a revelation that surprised everyone.
  6. seasider Force Ghost

star 1
    Speaking of competition. Anyone know what the potential competition for Episode 3 will be in 2005 We know that LOTR and Matrix movies won't be a factor anymore. Not sure when the Spiderman sequel comes out.
  7. JKBurtola Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Spiderman 2 is out in 2004.

EP3 wont make that much money anyway, but it will still make quite a bit. Regardless of its darkness and the competition.

The fact its labelled Star Wars gets people flocking.
  8. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    There's a real possibility that in the summer of 2005 Ep3 will go head-to-head with Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong".
  9. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    There's a real possibility that in the summer of 2005 Ep3 will go head-to-head with Peter Jackson's remake of "King Kong".

Peter Jackson's WHAT??????
  10. SWfan2002 Jedi Master

star 4
    His remake of "King Kong". Yes, I'm serious.
  11. Lars_Muul Chosen One

star 6
    King Kong? Cool :cool:

Not only will EpIII be the least successful at the box office, it will also be the least commercially successful SW episode. GL said that too. I guess they´re not making as many new vehicles and stuff as they did for the others.
  12. Vaderbait Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    He's covering his tracks. He says it'll do bad, if it does great, he's even more rich. ;)

Although, I tend to disagree with Lucas' logic. The darkness of the movie will turn on as many people as it turns off.

And besides, every SW fan will go see it at least 40 times even if they think it sucks. :p

I'm kind of glad Lucas is doing something he isn't exactly comfortable with. He believes darkness is necessary for the story, so let's hope he doesn't try to make it too light.
  13. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Doesn't it surprise anyone else, however, that the man who made THX-1138 claims that he is uncomfortable with making a darker-toned film? Perhaps the experience of making THX, and watching it fail at the box-office has left a psychological scar?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!
  14. OutlawYoda Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes that does sound kind of sad.. :( Poor George.. well... I'll go see it!! :D
  15. winter_chili Force Ghost

star 5
    I know alot of people who cant wait for ep3 because of the darkness, i saw ep2 once, i saw ep1 5 times. Im sure ill see ep3 at least 4 or 5 times. it's the last starwars movies, its soo sad that i bet alot of fans will go all out
  16. ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Perhaps the experience of making THX, and watching it fail at the box-office has left a psychological scar?

Doubtful, GL has said when he's done with SW he's going to go back to doing films like THX that he likes to make but he knows few people will like them

He makes his movie for himself more than anyone
  17. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    ESB Made the Least of the OT. Temple of Doom Made the Least of the Indy Movies. AOTC Has Made the Least of All the Star Wars Movies So Far. Lucas is Smart... III Will Make Less still, and he doesn't care anymore. He's going to Stay true to his guns and let the next twenty years or so of marketing continue to line his pocketbooks. Lucas Loves his Money, but he is beyond it now... He and his Familly will never want again.

Before the Prequels I Thought Lucas Was Crazy when he Said the PT Wouldn't be as Popular because of it's Darkness... I Said "Lucas You are Crazy... that is Exactly what Our Jaded Generation Loves... the Darkness. In Fact the Darker You Go, the More The Fans will Love it."

I was Wrong. Lucas, in his Infinite wisdom understands the movie going audience better than we think... He is Just beyond taking the Profit into Concideration. He Can Do whatever he Wants and he Knows it. He Has More Freedom then any other Director has had before... If he squanders it in the eyes of some "Fans", He doesn't care about that either... he is making these for himself, not us.
  18. Porkins_Dietician Jedi Knight

star 1
    I think its great that even though he sees this film as the one that will not make a lot of money he isn't changing it.

I just hope he sticks to his guns and makes the movie he wants to make and not the one that will make the average movie goer happy.

Ep III isn't supposed to be a happy film and for me, and most of us, that will I imagine turn out to be a good thing.
  19. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
  20. AdamBertocci Manager

Manager
    star 7
    AOTC Has Made the Least of All the Star Wars Movies So Far.

Wrong. (Unless you're adjusting for inflation?)

Lucas also said he didn't think AOTC would shatter any records. He said he figured if it placed in the top 20 things would be fine.

Lucas is darn good at understanding the Hollywood business, btw. He knows his $tuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Ep III "only" grossed $150, $200M no matter how much more people like it than TPM.

Rick McCallum loves you!
  21. LottDodd Force Ghost

star 4
    I am adjusting for inflation as AOTC's tickets averaged about 8 bucks a pop while ESB's were usually less than 3 bucks... Either way I think Empire still outgrosses AOTC Does it not?
  22. SLR Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    AoTC outgrossed ESB if you don't adjust for inflation. However, any serious comparisons of gross need to account for inflation. $1 bought a hell of a lot more in 1980-81 than it does in 2002-03. ESB sold more tickets than Aotc. By accounting for inflation, Aotc is by far the least successful SW movie.
  23. hew Force Ghost

star 4
    I'll believe Lucas' claims about Episode III's dark tone when I see it. It may dark to him, but I doubt it will be any worse than ESB.

He made the same statements about the romance limiting AOTC's appeal to fans, and in the end he gutted the romance storyline down to what he called a "haiku".
  24. Mace Windy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "Doubtful, GL has said when he's done with SW he's going to go back to doing films like THX that he likes to make but he knows few people will like them

He makes his movie for himself more than anyone.
    "

While I believe that it is true that after the release of Episode III, GL will once again make a more "artistic" breed of film, and will not care how they sell, I do not believe that he does not care what the general public thinks of the Star Wars films.

When watching AOTC, for example, one can not help but draw the conclusion that George constructed this movie keeping the fans of the series in mind. Obviously, this is not the case, but it certainly seemed that way, didn't it, i.e. less Jar Jar, Jango and Boba Fett, Yoda's Lightsaber duel, the heavy dose of action.

I am not saying that this approach was a bad one. No, I loved AOTC. I just think that it is a bit interesting coming from a man who claims that he does not care how his movies do. He is a human afterall, and we all want approval. He cares.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    this signature blows!
  25. muymaul Jedi Knight

star 2
    As others have said, it is the general public which makes a movie a "box office hit." Lucas probably believes that there just won't be as much repeat viewing from the general public due to the darker tone of Ep.3 or from families with younger children.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.