main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Luke blonde?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 10, 2015.

1. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Anakin has dirty, yet sexy, blonde hair. Some shots it looks brown, but underneath all that rugged hotness, he is blonde. Look at little Anakin in TPM, and he just gets darker from there on [omgggforeshadowing]

Luke does the same actually. In ROTJ he's basically a dark/dirty blonde/brown too.

Also, hair can be determined from grandparents. It's not always directly just from the mother or father. We don't know what Padme's grandparents looked like...

2. Hogarth Wrightson

Hogarth Wrightson Jedi Knight star 4

Jul 2, 2015
    Exactly. Anakin is blonde, but like many natural blondes his hair darkened a bit over time. You can see the same progression in Luke, until his and Han's hair are almost the same shade of light brown, but in Luke's case with a touch of gold when it hits the light.

3. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    Yes, I always think of Anakin's hair as "dirty blonde."

Mark Hamill has said that the constant exposure to the sun in Tunisia bleached his hair while shooting ANH. I recall an anecdote from him where his daughter looked at an action figure of ANH Luke and asked him, "Daddy, why did they paint your hair yellow?" He told her they used up all the brown paint for Han, Leia, and Chewie. (Mark Hamill= one of the best people, in general :) )

His hair is naturally darker, as it is in ESB and RotJ. So, a canon explanation could be that both Anakin (little Jake Lloyd) and Luke had lighter hair while living on Tatooine due to days drenched in the desert sun, and they both darkened to their genetically-coded "dirty blonde" when they left the planet.

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Yup.My brother had bleach blonde hair until he was about 5 just like our grandpa, then it started to darken to our family's dark brown which is what his hair color is now. Also grandparents can determine skin color in certain cases.

Anyway, Ani has dirty blonde hair...

[​IMG]

I think the notion that he has brown hair came about because his model in TCW seems much darker for some reason...

[​IMG]

So yeah Luke is blonde because of his father!!!!

[​IMG]

Case closed!
    Yet anakinfansince1983 has provided with the out-off universe truth as to why. :p

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I had very blonde hair when I was little but now that I'm older it's dark brown. It's pretty common.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  6. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Will of the Force.

[mic drop]

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    I think I saw this picture the very same day this thread was opened, but I was just too lazy to post it until now.

[​IMG]

Boom, yo.

8. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    _Sublime_Skywalker_ It's funny that you posted that, because more often than not I don't think Padmè really resembles neither of her children the way Anakin does...maybe Luke slightly, but that's it.

AniLukeRey likes this.
  9. _Sublime_Skywalker_

May 8, 2004
    If you squint while looking at the picture I posted, Anakin and Luke actually almost look like a full portrait of one person. I always thought Natalie was a good casting choice simply because I can see some of the resemblance...but I guess any woman with brown hair/eyes and the right stylists and make up artists can look similar enough.

10. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    I agree that Anakin and Luke almost look like a full portrait of one person. I guess Leia and Padmè depends on the picture...

SateleNovelist11 and Dinos4Ever like this.
  11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Indeed. Hamill and Christensen have quite a bit in common visually. Carrie Fisher during the filming of ANH looked a bit more like Natalie, but not a lot.

Anyway, I think blonde Jake Lloyd becoming darker haired Christensen is the same as Hamill's hair getting darker. The record was good enough.

12. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    He's blond (not blonde - which is the feminine version) because of the Tatooine suns! My hair used to bleach a bit blonde in the summer even though in Seattle it was hardly Tatooine sunshine.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He dyed his hair blonde because he's a rebel.

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Farther back. Padme's parents appear in episode 2 deleted scene and surprise they have brown hair.
    But it's genetics and can be carried for several generations.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    OMG! You can't just ask somebody why they're blond! (BTW, the e at the end of blonde is feminine. The correct spelling for Luke is "blond")

AniLukeRey likes this.
  16. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    These guy and his threads. I've started to enjoy them. ;)

AniLukeRey likes this.
  17. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    Thank you.

Really? Oh Lord, I did not know. Thank you.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  18. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey <pouts> I already pointed that out (about blond vs blonde) - no credit for meeeeeeeeeeeee? (That's my whining imitation).

19. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Here's why Luke is blond:

(Apologies for the anachronism of the first video.)

20. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    Thank you, Valairy Scot.

21. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    The Force

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  22. Jo Lucas

Aug 28, 2015
    What?

23. Colwyn Ren

Colwyn Ren Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 16, 2015
    I get playing the game and all, but seriously, Luke is blond for the same reasons that the others have brown hair. Nobody communicated the need for the PT actors to appear to match up that closely with the OT actors from a couple of decades earlier. So it doesn't matter _what_ the answer is... say it was the will of The Force, if you need to. \_(ツ)_/¯

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    A wizard did it.

Heroic BB-8 and Colwyn Ren like this.
  25. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    Inconsistency at its finest.

Despite their high budget, they made a ridiculous amount of errors.