main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Luke blonde?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jo Lucas, Oct 10, 2015.

1. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    "Why is Luke blonde?"
    Why is water wet?
    Some things are the way they are, just because.

SkooterNB likes this.
  2. DjangoKet

DjangoKet Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 15, 2015
    I was the same as porkins. What ive always found strange is that Ewans hair changed from brown to ginger, but that was in the real universe!

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  4. Prospecting on Subtyrrell

Prospecting on Subtyrrell Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 18, 2014
    The distribution is actually very realistic. There aren't brown hair genes as such, there are about 8 genes which can have their melanin turned on or off. A person with all of them turned off will have white blonde hair, one with all turned on will have jet black hair. It becomes brown because there is a conflict in the programming. Some genes want to produce blond hair, others want to produce black. So they settle for the middle.

Any person with brown hair will have some "blonde pairs". All you need then is for the kid to inherit a majority of those pairs from both parents. Luke's color is probably a combination of 5 or 6 blonde pairs and a couple of black ones. If Padme has 3 and Anakin has 5 it's going to be very likely for the offspring to get enough for a blondish hair color.

And it shows with the kids. One light eye, light haired. One brown eye, brown haired.

AniLukeRey, DavidSword79 and Shaak Ti like this.
  5. Jedi of Mandalore

Jedi of Mandalore Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    They are both "white" and is people said the gene is likely there and it is a matter of genetic chance how the baby turns out.

I have olive skin and black hair and my little bro is white with brown hair. We have the same parents. I have dark hazel eyes, my little bro brown, my mom dark brown, and my father blue.

Now, the real question isn't Luke's hair but rather Kylo Ren's looks in TFA. I know that is a discussion for a different thread but there is no way he should end up looking like that.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  6. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Maybe JJ prefers Sebastian Shaw as his version of canon Anakin? ;)

Sarge likes this.
  7. jimtalkbox

jimtalkbox Jedi Master star 1

Dec 22, 2015
    To be honest, I have red hair, my wife is a brunette and both of our kids are blonde! Go figure!

SateleNovelist11 and ATMachine like this.
  8. Solosaber

Solosaber Jedi Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    Why is Luke blonde?

For the same reason I am: My mom hooked up with the milkman.

In Luke's case, it was probably the guy who delivers the "blue milk" in ANH

Darth Basin likes this.
  9. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    Actually the visual similarity of Skywalkers across the saga is quite impressive, the only outlier is a certain child of
    Han Solo

10. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Driver has that same quirky look of a young Harrison Ford and the coloration of a young Carrie Fisher, so he was cast for the same reason that Hayden and Natalie were. .Luke is supposed to more resemble Anakin(Hayden) and Leia to resemble Padme(Portman). Only problem I think exist is that Jake Lloyd and Hayden looking nothing alike. Young Jake should've looked like adult Jake. TCW's Anakin looks more modeled on Jake than Hayden, while the micro-series was modeled clearly on Hayden.

Shmi Skywalker however had brown eyes and hair, while Anakin had blue eyes with dirty blond to brown hair especially later on. Blond hair and blue eyes are mutations of brown/black hair and brown eyes. Hair also darkens with age.

I think in an early draft of ROTS Palpatine influenced Anakin's birth, which could explain the eye color and different hair maybe in Lucas's mind at the time, he may of even toyed with Palpatine being a biological father. Dooku I think was to have orchestrated the Sand People capture and torture of Shmi in the same draft.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  11. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    [​IMG]

That would explain a few things.

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Luke is blonde cause Anakin was blonde.

13. ATMachine

Feb 27, 2007
    I'd say that's rather putting the cart before the horse -- at least from my perspective as a guy who watched the SW films in cinemas rather than as HoloNet news. (*crosses fingers*)

14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    looks similar to me.

15. Shaak Ti

Shaak Ti Jedi Master star 3

Dec 22, 2015
    I donno, his cheekbones, eyebrow arches (specifically the bone ridge), hair color, complexion feel very different too me, but obviously we have a very limited knowledge of Han's genealogy.

16. Sir2lazyThe2nd

Sir2lazyThe2nd Jedi Padawan star 3

Nov 13, 2015
    Why is Luke blonde?

Why does Anakin Skywalker not like sand?

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
  18. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

False, hair colour is a funny one. It tends to be 'additive' rather than recessive or dominant. So it is a polygenic trait and is determined by the amount of certain genes you have. So the more genes you have turning brown hair 'on' will produce more eumelanin and therefore will produce less light haired phenomelanin pigment and the hair will be more brown than blonde. So it is about the amount of genes you have for each hair colour, kind of like a tug of war between different genes.:)

[Nerd moment over] But good question OP, It is possible for Luke to have blonde hair. I hadn't noticed that before. :D

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    [face_laugh]

20. Mace Windu's Cousin

Mace Windu's Cousin Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2015
    recessive genes.

ATMachine likes this.
  21. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    None of my grandparents or parents have blonde hair but I do. Must be quite the recessive gene.

22. Oakessteve

Oakessteve Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 9, 1999
    The real question is why does Anakin when he's a grown up have curly hair in Revenge of the Sith, when as a little boy in The Phantom Menace it's not curly at all?! Maybe all the horrors Anakin saw in the Clone Wars curled his hair. That's kind of cool.

Madara Uchiha likes this.
  23. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Jedi Youngling

Feb 11, 2016
    Because of George Lucas.

SateleNovelist11 and ATMachine like this.
  24. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Exactly. It happens in nature.

25. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    oh, is that the difference? i've spent all this time thinking one was the noun, the other the adjective.