main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Why is Luke Skywalker wearing Corellian Bloodstripes in the Yavin Cerimony?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Giovs, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    I hope I'm posting this in the right place (Are Corellian Bloodstripes an EU invention? I'm not sure, I know they're mentioned in the Marvel comics and in "Han Solo and the Lost Legacy", was that the first time?).
    The Corellian Bloodstripes were awarded for acts of bravery, Luke has never left Tatooine, there was no way he could have been awarded it.
    Unless he earned it for destroying the Death Star, but I'm not sure if the Corellian military is sympathetic to the Rebellion. Or did Han lend his pants to him because he didn't have any new pants to attend the cerimony?
    Any ideas? Is that mentioned anywhere in the EU?

2. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    He wasn't wearing bloodstripes. Luke's are yellow at Yavin.

3. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    That's a second class bloodstripes.
    The red ones are the first class.

4. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    I always figured he had to borrow a pair of pants from Han, because he doesn’t bring any luggage from Tatooine.

5. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    That's my guess too.

6. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I'm sure they have counterfeits in GFFA too.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, if so he probably had to get them fitted; Han's much taller.

8. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

I should hope they have a Tailor on the Rebel base. ;)

Starkeiller likes this.
  9. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    They shared their pants and Leia around in the early days ... it was a pretty open relationship, and was agreeable to all concerned. Then the Wookie got involved...

10. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    Doesn't Lando borrow his clothes as well? It's not borrowing we should be wondering about, it's how come Han suddenly has that many clothes?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not that he has so many clothes, it's that they're all a bloodstripes/shirt/vest combo :p Guy needs to branch out!

Lady_Misty, kataja and DarthBoba like this.
  12. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Corellian Bloodstripes were first mentioned in Brian Daley's "Han Solo at Star's End", but weren't actually named and identified until Daley's "Han Solo and the Lost Legacy". So far as I'm aware, the original outline & script for ANH don't mention anything like this, so it's EU material that was later accepted as canon.

13. Giovs

Giovs Jedi Master star 3

Apr 29, 2013
    Thanks, good to know the thread is in the right place.

Well, it seems most of us agrees that he borrowed Han's pants, and that point of view is backed up by two major informations:

- Luke didn't bring any luggage from Tatooine (as pointed by Gorefiend)
    - Luke is never again seen wearing the bloodstripes (or is he? Not that I know of at least)

I was looking at the Corellina Bloodstripe's page on wookieepedia, and they list Luke Skywalker as a notable recipient, but without referencing any source... so it can't be taken as truth.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Fashion's never been a big thing in the GFFA. Most people of the same species wear the same one or two outfits, and even humans tend to wear about one of 10 variations of the same ensembles.

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Haven't that changed with the Prequels and the cartoons?

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Which seems strange since Luke was neither Corellian nor did he serve in the Corellian military. Of course, that same page says it's possible Mara Jade had been awarded them, so there's your heaping help of salt.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    For a dedicated Wookieepedian like me, such threads are always usefule, because they point out articles that really need some work. Obviously, "Corellian Bloodstripe" is one of them. Whenever I have time, I'll try to improve it and source it. As far as Mara Jade is concerned, I belive the statement in the article comes from the fact that her in-game model in Mysteries of the Sith had yellow stripes on her trousers.
    [​IMG]

Mia Mesharad and Giovs like this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, he actually had some brown pants with yellow stripes, and a blue vest instead of a black one in ROTJ (if I'm seeing it right), and a blue jacket that he wore in ESB. So he does have...some...variation.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  19. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Han Solo has a closet full of sweet jackets.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Han Solo and the kriffing sweet vest

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm partial to the blue TESB jacket myself.

And the Hoth coat, as referenced in my avi.

22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Presumably, the general materials used for Star Wars clothing are supremely durable and self cleaning and otherwise capable of being worn a lot. Couple this with the simple fact that on board a starship space is at a premium and clothes are bulky, it makes a good deal of sense to restrict one's wardrobe when you're hopping from planet to planet on a regular basis.

Though I do agree that Star Wars undervalues fashion - how in the galaxy Queen Amidala's wardrobe wasn't worth a few ship parts is something I've never, ever figured out.

cthugha likes this.
  23. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Textiles are properly insanely easy to mass produce in the SW galaxy (D20 Core Rulebook mentions 10 Credits a Meter), shimmersilk aside, also who on Tatooine would have use for it?

24. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    This is the Queen's wardrobe though, it's not mass produced. We are talking about custom designed, hand crafted, designer label one-of-a-kind outfits here.

Textiles are insanely easy to mass produce on Earth too, it doesn't mean high-end fashion wear isn't worth a fortune.

And Tatooine isn't exactly a non-member of the galactic economy. Jabba's got connections, he could easily buy and resell the Queen's garments for hundreds of thousands.

The functional real-world comparison is this: David Bowie's (crazy fashion consistency here) tour bus breaks down in someplace like Debuque, Iowa (he's trying to get back to Chicago). Our rock star's credit cards aren't any good for some reason and he's got no cash, but he does have a closet-full of outfits. He's takes them to the town's thrift shop owners, dumps them for maybe 10% of what they're actually worth, and uses that to get a new engine from the local auto shop.

Look, it was a throw-away joke, and it sounded funny with Obi-Wan saying it, but like so much of TPM it doesn't withstand any scrutiny whatsoever.

25. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Only to those who perceive it as valuable, in the end it really is just fancy fabric. Tatooine street traders certainly will not go for it, unless Qui-Gon spend his time selling it piecemeal and haggling a lot. The local Ship Owners (who are the ones that could sell it somewhere else) will certainly not front them anything in the range of more then 20000 Credits either.

He could also spot that it is the Queen of Naboos garment and just ransom her off for Millions. ;)

If David Bowis tour bus breaks down anywhere the local News Outlet would be having the day of their life and properly pay for the whole thing just to get a few fotos. Also phones. ;)

The main properly really is why he doesn’t just hire someone to fly the Queen and the Jedi to Coruscant. 20000 Credits, even in digital form (which Dataries are) and promise of later payment should get them a ride to the Core Worlds easily. Hell if need be, just trade in a few Blasters and Droids to front the whole thing. [face_dunno]